Book Valuations

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

dorenac
Master Guide

Book Valuations

Post by dorenac »

I am going through 30 years of book collecting and selecting ones I haven't referred to in many years to put up for sale here in the classifieds. Many books have their original retail price printed on the cover somewhere. A few don't. And I don't know what collectors value if any can be attributed to some of these. I would like suggestions as to fairly pricing these books. I'm not trying to make much off them but I feel some may have appeal to others at modest prices. I will say that most are well known titles and all are in good condition. Later they will be posted for sale. Thanks

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Book Valuations

Post by Webfly »

Unless you feel like nickel diming, Healing Waters or another would probably be the best way to utilize them. There just isn't much value in used FF books, including the signed ones.

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

Look at prices on Amazon or ABE books for a comparison.

Tight Lines- Ken

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Realistically, "SOLD" items on eBay are a more accurate way to find values, not what somebody is asking.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Webfly wrote:Realistically, "SOLD" items on eBay are a more accurate way to find values, not what somebody is asking.
Good point.

One thing the "virus" has reemphasized to me is the value of a good, classic...book!

Have ordered several classic fishing texts along with Melville, Kephart, Canon Doyle and some others. Even my "20 something" sons are getting into it!

sjbarry

Post by sjbarry »

Most books on any topic lose value immediately upon being sold new. Folks who expect their "investment" in books on any particular topic to show decent profit, let alone returns, are likely to be disappointed. All a publisher has to do is reprint a "rare" book to remove at least half of the market for the title (most people purchase books for their utility or interest, not for their prospective value down the road). A great example is the republication of "The Lovely Reed," which lowered the asking price of the first edition from $400 to $60, just like the new edition. Collect books for their relevance to your interest in a topic. Prepare to donate them to some worthy cause when you tire of the topic or the book.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Not so fast: some first editions of books reprinted multiple times have not done too badly.
Acts of Congress, sold for about 10 bucks, buy it now for 10.9 million. Book of Mormon, about $35, now 36.5 million. My favorite: Birds of America sold at about $9.00, now 9-11 million.
Even cheapos such as Isaac Walton's Complete Angler are running $15,000 and up for a first edition - which may not show up for 10 years or so. This book has been reprinted more than 450 times, a near record.
In my world, Colorado Classic Cane (hardbound) and many others are now selling at many times their original price. Like the market, some go up, some down.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

In general, 99% of fly fishing books are down...First printing, signed, it doesn't matter.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

IMO, 'Signed' copies don't normally add much value (got a pen?) but occasionally can reveal something interesting. I once almost bought a first -and only- edition of "The Complete Angler 1653-1967 a New Bibliography" by Bernard S. Horne. Problem was, he died before his book was published thereby making signing it difficult.
Keeping in mind that most of us buy new books at retail and sell them (used) nearer wholesale, it's easy to suggest that prices are down. A fair number of books and lots of catalogs continue to do very well, and I remember buying a true first edition of the River Runs Through It from Chicago University Press for about 10 bucks - sold it for several hundred, covering several losses.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I currently own almost 600 FF titles back to 1838. Many first editions and many signed. I have computerized the list over the years and I don't want to tell you what I have invested as that is Ludacris. But what's worse is the current value of this collection. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of only 40% of my total investment. But that said, the dollar value to me is a non issue as they'll have to rip these books from my cold dead hands. :)

GBU31v1
Guide

Post by GBU31v1 »

Ludicrous. Ludacris is a rapper.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludacris

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

GBU31v1 wrote:
08/25/20 12:53
Ludicrous. Ludacris is a rapper.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludacris
What da heck is "Rapper"? Or did you mean "Wrapper" ? Like the book has a paper wrapper or ya know, dust jacket. :)

WF70
Guide

Post by WF70 »

Webfly wrote:
05/24/20 13:31
Unless you feel like nickel diming, Healing Waters or another would probably be the best way to utilize them. There just isn't much value in used FF books, including the signed ones.
Healing Waters?
Hadn't thought about that.
I went to their site and it looks pretty slick; it seems to have evolved to the point where cash seems to be the most wanted donation.
Have any experience with them?

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

WF70 wrote:
08/26/20 09:57
Webfly wrote:
05/24/20 13:31
Healing Waters?
Hadn't thought about that.
I went to their site and it looks pretty slick; it seems to have evolved to the point where cash seems to be the most wanted donation.
Have any experience with them?
I come across a lot of fly tying materials, books and gear. Items that I do not need, go to my friends or Healing waters. If they do not need something that has been donated, they will do their best to turn it in to cash if there is value. With books, what a perfect thing to get some of the veterans started in fly fishing.

WF70
Guide

Post by WF70 »

Even this forum is leaving me behind. I'm too old for even this. I'll try a few short posts and see if it will let me back on but it trashed my last few long winded posts.

WF70
Guide

Post by WF70 »

WF70 wrote:
08/26/20 20:56
Even this forum is leaving me behind. I'm too old for even this. I'll try a few short posts and see if it will let me back on but it trashed my last few long winded posts.
In the 80s I met a fellow on Penn's Creek with a damaged arm. He was a WWII vet and was assigned to a fly tying class as a part of his rehabilitation. He tied some of the most amazing extended body flies I had ever seen, or even imagined possible. It was proof that fly tying was pure art and some people could take it to perfection. He loaded his van, told his wife that he would be back, and every year set out catching the best hatches. Not only was his arm rehabed but his soul as well.

It will be a good use for my books. I have tried to keep my "library" over the years under control, selling a few, giving away to friends but the fever never went away. I have not been able to fish for 3 years so the things I have will be of no use to me other than what my son needs. I still have the romantic notion that we can go fishing this fall for one final time if he can set up a lawn chair mid stream and I can get to it with my walker. Just a dream, but then this whole thing has been a dream hasn't it?
Much of what I have will find a better home with Healing Waters I hope so thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Book Talk”