American Angler magazine quits

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

American Angler magazine quits

Post by ibookje »

American Angler magazine quits.
although i don’t read magazines anymore i used to subscribe in the early 1990s.

i guess only Fly Fisherman is the only major FF magazine left

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: American Angler magazine quits

Post by Hellmtflies »

For me all of the FF rags are only good for one reason, using them on the bottom of a bird cage. Nothing but ads and article rewrites every three years.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I kept a lot of the magazines over the years. You can go back and read articles from 10 years ago and get the same edification that you would from a new article today.

The internet has changed everything. This forum is our FF magazine now. Think of it- the variety of topics covered on a daily basis is about the same as an issue but there are more sections on bamboo!

Jeff

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Now Mark, you can at least read the first three years before using it as toilet paper? :rollin
Hellmtflies wrote:
06/13/20 09:46
For me all of the FF rags are only good for one reason, using them on the bottom of a bird cage. Nothing but ads and article rewrites every three years.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

What a shame - I read that magazine a lot.
That means Fly Tyer is gone too. Or has been.
But I saw a magazine article on the Muddler in a new Fly Tyer mag. Great step by step. Thanks to them.

I do agree 100 percent that this the new magazine...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

George Carson
Sport

Post by George Carson »

Where exactly did this information come from? I am still seeing news on their website from 3 days ago. Can anyone confirm this is a done deal?

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

I subscribe to AA. I received my last issue within the last week. On a cover sheet is a letter dated May 15, stating that this issue (J/A 20) would be the last. No digital edition either. The remainder of the subscription will be replaced by Fly Tyer. There is also a "limited copy conversion" to Gray's as well. I have enjoyed reading this magazine over the last 25 years.

Dale

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

Brian Shaffer wrote:
06/13/20 16:21

That means Fly Tyer is gone too. Or has been.
No, they said they'd covert existing subscriptions to AA to subscriptions to Fly Tyer.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Hope Gray’s is doing ok. Definitely one of my favourites...

GBU31v1
Guide

Post by GBU31v1 »

Isn’t the Drake still in publication?

WF70
Guide

Post by WF70 »

Hellmtflies wrote:
06/13/20 09:46
I wrote our club newsletter and recognizing an alternative use might be needed, after stating my goals in the first issue in 1991 wrote “failing that, this newsletter can be provided upon request in sizes suitable for the bottom of your birdcages.”
Got no requests though.
I collected articles from FFM from the 70s. I was disappointed to find the same articles repeated as long as 8-10 years later. The information was still valid. They did change the graphics though.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

someone just gave me four copies of the Drake and loved it. There is alot of creative new age stuff that I enjoy. It's a nice change of pace and uncensored which to me makes it more real. Also love the quarterly publication put out by the American Museum of Fly Fishing. Do have all the copies of the first two years of Fly Fisherman and what a contrast to the last 20 years. I used to read it while grocery shopping with my wife to kill time and the theme is just so repetitious.

Bohemian Bob

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

I subscribed to the e-copy of Trout & Salmon from the UK, and would recommend it as a change of pace.

Bought a copy of the Fly Fishing issue of Gray's this year from my local shop, and I found it pretty well done.

Yes, the AMFF quarterly is a nice piece of work; alas, my subscription lapsed, and haven't re-upped.

If there is a modern-day Fly Fishing Heritage or a Riverkeeper (AKA Spring Creek Journal) currently around, please advise. Off the top of my head, they are tied for my 2 favorite ff mags of all time.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

This news probably didn't need a brand new thread. Another three print periodicals have merged into one. Northwest, Southwest and Eastern Fly Fishing magazines are no more. There is now just American Fly Fishing. I enjoyed reading about new places to fish.

Nothing beats California Fly Fisher though. I've subscribed since 1996.

Dale

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

I was just going to comment on what Dale wrote about American Fly Fishing. I've subscribed to NW FF for years. There is also the old standby, Frank Amato's Fly Fishing & Tying magazine. While Frank stepped away some years ago, he handed the lines to a very good crew.

GBU31v1
Guide

Post by GBU31v1 »

dale wrote:
07/13/20 21:37
This news probably didn't need a brand new thread. Another three print periodicals have merged into one. Northwest, Southwest and Eastern Fly Fishing magazines are no more. There is now just American Fly Fishing. I enjoyed reading about new places to fish.

Nothing beats California Fly Fisher though. I've subscribed since 1996.

Dale
Love the Cal Fly Fisher. Great puplicaiton.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Twenty years ago it was a good magazine. I even sold it at my shop. Re-subscribed last year only because they offered two years for $8 or something desperate like that. Their last print issue had an article about fishing hats (waste of print) and a multipage "gear review" that amounted to a Simms commercial. Good riddance!

Common old guy rant: nothing is as good as it used to be (though there are a lot of bamboo rods that might even be better)!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

I have a complete run, in excellent condition. Sad to see it go, but happy that some of my favorite places are not on the front cover anymore.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

It's a sign of the times. I decided not to renew my subscription to the only fly fishing magazine I thought was worthy, Fly Fishing & Fly Tying, a UK publication. Great magazine for years but the last few months it's been so thin on content that it's not worth the money any more. A few years back it was a quarter inch thick or more. Now it feels like a dozen pages.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

It seems we have all become 'instant gratification' as well as less willing to take the time, sit down and read a book or magazine.
Internet is certainly the main cause of this no doubt. The internet has brought as great way to communicate and look for information of any kind but it has also brought as hastiness, short temperedness etc.

Although I rarely read my old issues, I'm glad I still have them available when I want to sit back and relax

Return to “Book Talk”