American Angler magazine quits

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Heddon20
Guide

Re: American Angler magazine quits

Post by Heddon20 »

Hey guys. I just started a thread on American Flyfishing Mag in the Ephemera section. Didn't see this one until after I posted it. Agree on Cal Flyfisher. Great local mag and it's now the only one left for me anyway...
Brian

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Speaking of "worthy" fly fishing publications, if you haven't seen or tried 'THE flyfish JOURNAL', you should.
It is simply an outstanding magazine with incomparable photo journalism. BTW, it's now in its 11th year.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Flyman615 wrote:
07/31/20 19:41
Speaking of "worthy" fly fishing publications, if you haven't seen or tried 'THE flyfish JOURNAL', you should.
It is simply an outstanding magazine with incomparable photo journalism. BTW, it's now in its 11th year.

Scott
And to your recommendation, I will add “Swing the Fly”. Though it mostly covers anadromous fishing, it also has occasional articles on soft hackles, trout, and has really nice writing, poetry, and artwork that covers history, tradition, and stewardship. it is a hearty thick journal with solid paper that will remind you of Shotgun Journal.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

it would be nice if the older issues are viewable for free?

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

There are so many magazines out there that there’s usually something for everyone.
Drake and Flyfish Journal have been mentioned. Fly Culture is worth checking out. Anglers Journal has good variety across locations and types of fishing. Gray’s Sporting Journal is also excellent for the pleasure of reading but covers shooting too.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Matt and Laurie Supinski began publishing Hallowed Waters Journal last fall. They are doing an excellent job, covering trout, steelhead and salmon angling and conservation across the board, and including articles on the traditions and heritage of the sport.

I don't agree with ibookje's blanket statement about the internet creating people who are not taking time to read a book or magazine, though certainly too much of society have become slaves to their electronic gadgets. I certainly read a lot of books during the year. I gravitate to older, classic works as a lot of the new stuff is worth little more than the magazines. There are exceptions, and the Book Talk board on this forum spreads the word about them nicely. Recent magazines leave me cold for the most part as does the rest of the over commercialization of fly fishing.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

One of the last FLy FIsherman Mags I bought had an article and on Nyumph fishing and I got one important idea fromit “ to get you nymph deeper add weight.” I never knew that.....

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

GMflyf1sh wrote:
04/11/21 19:48
One of the last FLy FIsherman Mags I bought had an article and on Nyumph fishing and I got one important idea fromit “ to get you nymph deeper add weight.” I never knew that.....
:rollin Thanx for da laugh.

Return to “Book Talk”