Peter Heller's "The River"

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Peter Heller's "The River"

Post by St Vrain Angler »

I've been a fan of Peter Heller ever since accidentally discovering The Dog Stars and The Painter, but I was unprepared for The River. As in the other two, there's fly fishing; however, it's complementary to the narrative rather than the focus. It's beautifully written--lyrical, poignant, and gripping--and like any good book, it gnaws at the mind.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Peter Heller's "The River"

Post by Brooks »

thanks for the tip, I'll look it up. 'The Dog Stars' is especially haunting if you've lived in and around that part of Colorado--as current weird world events unfold, it seems especially relatable. I lived in Golden briefly in the mid-eighties, and have family from Golden, and learned to fly-fish there as a kid in the sixties: Dog Stars was especially vivid as a read for me. I'll check out 'The River'.

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

Just a note to say thanks for recommending Heller's books. I've read both The River and The Painter after seeing your post. They're both great reads. The Painter was particularly enjoyable to read because I have actually been to just about every location in the book...it was nice to see in my mind's eye the very location I was reading about in The Artist...the trout streams, galleries, bars and restaurants. Again, thanks!

BenFarquharson

Post by BenFarquharson »

familiar with this, really cool, I really like to study such literature in my free time, I also recommend that you check it out to study an analytical selection of interesting and very useful materials about The Tempest by William Shakespeare, to be honest, I was not familiar with this book before, but I liked these short posts and I started reading in the full book.

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

Based on this thread, I read 'The Dog Stars'. I liked it very much, and so read it pretty quickly. I was a bit disappointed by the ending, to be honest, but it was a very good read. I've started 'The River', but work keeps getting in the way of it.

Return to “Book Talk”