New Japanese Rodmaker book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Japanese Rodmaker book

Post by crowebeetle »

Flykuni, that is what i appreciate about Japanese culture that and respect for tradition.

We do have the British classic fisherman.

https://www.anglersjournal.com/freshwat ... -and-tweed

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Thanks crowe, that was a pleasant read, and I can relate, having fished a few places in Scotland and England. Never at this club's level, or at the Test. I did have a fine time on the Peacock water outside of Bakewell about a decade ago, and by myself that day. Peter Arfield was also a pleasant fellow to visit in his cute little shoppe. As the general said, I shall return.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

You are indeed fortunate to have had that experience.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Based on the 20 or so Japanese rods I have owned over the years, some from makers in the book and some from others who I hope will end up in Vol 2 (if there is one), my experience is that all of the bamboo species mentioned in the book are exactly as described and would be ideal for any small stream, small trout fishing situation anywhere. Depending on one's casting preferences of course. I have personally landed trout over 20" on rods made from madake and witnessed many trout landed on same in the 16-20+" range at the Henry's Fork. The largest fish I have landed on hachiku is 16". Other bamboo species live(d) in the 6-12" range mostly due to taper design, rod length and line weight. Any rodmaker or angler plying waters in Hokkaido has access to rainbow trout in the 24-30" class. New Zealand, the Western US, UK chalk streams, the Catskills and more are all popular destination fisheries for Japanese cane heads.

My experience is that there is no more risk--and quite likely less--buying one of these rods without test casting than any other. The makers I have dealt with in Japan have been exceedingly interested in my satisfaction as well as my feedback--even the several times when I bought a rod second hand and had a minor condition issue to address. I would encourage anyone interested to just go for it. If you are more risk averse and must have the rod in hand prior to purchasing, the best places to try some of these rods in the US are shows and gatherings. Asking attendees ahead of time to bring specific rods with them might help. There are also a number of excellent Japanese dealers who can provide additional insight and might be willing to accept returns (buyer's shipping expense of course). And of course makers sometimes have demos available.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

crowebeetle wrote:
01/23/21 17:52
Flykuni, that is what i appreciate about Japanese culture that and respect for tradition.

Many Thanks crowebeetle... beautifully written, with just enough acquired stiff upper lip and self derogatory situations to bring on a smile.

Thanks cdmoore for better explaining to PT48 performance of various Japanese cane makes for western style fishing... I own a Kagero, Harada, and Takemoto plus casted others but fish them in Tropical Singapore and not often enough in western settings to be any kind of expert. Suffice to say, they are 4wts & do land giant 6lb plus peacocks and other tropical brawlers plus tiny delicate species with no problems at all. Their craftsmanship and feel need to be experienced first hand to understand their makers’ obsession with finesse.

Cheers
Arthur

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Hi Arthur. Good to hear from you.

In addition to Japan, South Korea in particular has some highly skilled makers from what I have heard and read. I don't own one yet. Have you come across any other interesting makers in travels and inquiries closer to your home? I expect there must be some scattered about by now? Taper trends, perhaps in terms of classic rods, you have found particularly amenable to the local fisheries? Always interested to learn more and travel by armchair! :lol

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Hi Chris, yeah, it’s nice to catch up buddy!

I understand we are going off topic but on the matter of Asian makers, I am not familiar with Korean Rodmakers except the few we sometimes find on YouTube. My fishing buddy Charlie Wong and I do share equipment to make rods but just for personal use, experimental fun and for friends https://flyfishingsg.proboards.com/thre ... orod-story . Charlie has made maybe 6-8 rods while I have rejected all of mine :P :rollin ... it’s tough when I measure against my collection!

There are hobbyist makers in Indonesia and Malaysia using local cane but none of world class quality yet. I think the lack of exposure to world class rods severely limits our understanding of the best. Japanese makers have access to the best rods collected by the wealthy enthusiasts during the years when Japan was booming and buying companies and collections. I’d imagine craftsmen in China will emerge over time similar to Chinese Luthiers who regularly win VSA Awards. It will take many years for other markets outside Japan to mature and I look forward to a future when I bring my collection around much like Jeff’s GTRS and admire Asian makes at the same time.

Cheers
Arthur

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

"OK" Since we are on the subject of Japanese rod makers and a few of the members here may be Japanese can one of you tell me what this means or how it reads? Or, what it says. Thank you in advance.
Mark

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

Anyone figure out how to get this book in Canada?
Not available on Amazon, ,,, can't ship to my location.
Eastwind Artisan wants $120 to ship to Canada. LOL

My message to both Amazon and Eastwind Artisan ... Its a global econony people, wake up.

Seriously though I'd love to get copy barring non-delivery to the north or ludicrous shipping costs.
Hope someone can help.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Mail the author

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Buy it directly from Yuki Bando, the author: https://en.flybito.net/product-page/mos ... sh-version.

Tim

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I would very much like to thank Yuki Bando for recognizing my order and sending me a complimentary copy.
It is a wonderful book and a fine achievement!

I hope we can fish together again soon, Yuki!

Warmest regards,

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

crowebeetle wrote:
01/23/21 17:52

Arundell Arms is a great sporting hotel. Another with great fishing in the West Country is the Fox and Hounds at Eggesford

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Flykuni3 wrote:
01/23/21 21:28
Thanks crowe, that was a pleasant read, and I can relate, having fished a few places in Scotland and England. Never at this club's level, or at the Test. I did have a fine time on the Peacock water outside of Bakewell about a decade ago, and by myself that day. Peter Arfield was also a pleasant fellow to visit in his cute little shoppe. As the general said, I shall return.
Hear, hear! And just to the south of there is the limestone gorge of Dovedale where Charles Cotton fished and built his fishing ‘temple’ in the 17th century to honour Isaac Walton

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

This has been an interesting thread. Edward Barder (British rod maker) wrote a good full page review in the current issue of Classic Angling magazine, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be available online. I look forward to reading the book.

dr knuemann
Guide

Post by dr knuemann »

I want to say thank you to Yuki Bando.He wrote a wonderful book.Because of his book and what he wrote in his book about Mr.Masaki Takemoto I decided to own-if possible-a rod of this 'unique' rod maker, especially the one he and Mr.Ishiyama got,the one called Firehole.This rod was praised more than all other rods on Mr.Bando's book as was Masaki Takemoto.So I got in contact with Mr.Takemoto with help of the e-mail given in this book.Mr.Takemoto is the gentleman and fine person as discribed by everybody.He answered at once and offered to finish a blanc of firehole which he had by middle of 2021.We discussed some details and he was willing to make a grip for me in the size and way John Bradford did.He told me to start at once with my rod .Some mails later he offered to send me the Octagon rod he wanted to show at an exhibition this year which was cancelled because of corona.This octagon #5 rod is a new model based on the Madison discribed in the book of Mr. Bando but with softer action and butt, which Mr.Takemoto called Henry Fork.He would send it together with the #4 hex Firehole.Wednesday last week I got a mail from Mr.Takemoto that he had sent the 2 rods and 2 days ago they arrived here in Germany.The next day I cast both of them and all became true what Mr.Bando had told.The Firehole hex is one of the finest #4 I ever held in hand,a true 4 weigh rod of 103 gr.Very well balanced and as light in hand as no other of my rods of this length,being able nevertheless to cast a long line exactly straight.While the firehole hex is kind of a gentleman rod, the one of a kind octagon got more power,but also feeling very sensitive.With 113 gr it is very light in hand,too.But it got more power without being stiff.A true #5 weigh WF line is a tiny bit too light for my way of casting and feeling It needs a 5.5 weigh line like the old Mastery XXD or the new Rio Elite Technical Trout.Because of the fine tips both rods cast a short line too.Both rods the 8'4'' hex Firehole and the 8'*6'' octagon Henry Fork will be me go to rods on German Chalk streams of the Alb or the Wiesent.On a windy day or at Maifliegenzeit when big trout are expected naturally the #5 octagon Henry Fork

Thank you again mr.Bando for writing this book in which all what you wrote about Mr.Takemoto is no fairy tail.Also thanks to one of the best rodmakers ,Mr.Takemoto ,who made unsurprisingly fast two of the finest long rods you can imagine for me!!

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Dr Kneumann, nice to hear from you again. I have not had the pleasure of seeing this book yet, though I hope to be able to own it when shipping becomes more practical for me. I agree with you about Take-San - he’s a true gentleman and a perfectionist. Without question one of the most sincere and dedicated craftsmen building today. It’s interesting that your 8 foot 4 inch 4 wt is 103 grams, the one I owned was 96. It was a wonderful rod, though for my purposes perhaps a bit fuller flexing than I sought. Maybe he has reworked the taper slightly. The 8 foot 6 inch 5 weight I have is a hex, about 109 grams and certainly quicker than the 8 foot 4 inch 4 weight, though not as fast as the 8 foot 6 inch 6 weight or 8 foot 4 inch 5 weight. All three are terrific casters. I would like to cast his quad like Octagonal rods some day as a comparison. Enjoy your new rods and this great book and good fishing ahead to you this year!
Adrien

dr knuemann
Guide

Post by dr knuemann »

Adrian,maybe this helps regarding weigh of hex 8'4''.Mr.Takemoto wrote me that he revised the taper several times.Mine is probably the 6th version of the 8'4'' hex for a #4.The 8'6'' octagon is fasster-Mr.Takemoto wrote he made it medium fast to fast.With this rod -like with Fries rods-you can change line speed from fast to slower quite easy.As you said a terriffic caster,too.But feeling sensitive when cast.

Return to “Book Talk”