New Japanese Rodmaker book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Japanese Rodmaker book

Post by Hellmtflies »

Hellmtflies wrote:
11/23/20 10:16
I ordered mine yesterday. $65.44 shipped. I'll post when it arrives. Fingers crossed.
18 days and still waiting. :\

FreestoneVintage
Sport

Post by FreestoneVintage »

Hellmtflies wrote:
12/11/20 16:55
Hellmtflies wrote:
I ordered mine yesterday. $65.44 shipped. I'll post when it arrives. Fingers crossed.

Mark, mine showed up in Helena today. Fingers crossed they should be distributed across the Treasure State post haste.

I spent a little time leafing through it this afternoon. It looks fantastic and the content is substantial. I'm very much looking forward to digging into it!

Nate

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I received mine after about 10 days but I paid $68 and change for mine :)
Great book!!

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Hellmtflies wrote:
Mine was rejected by the USPS although the address was correct. When the book finally got back to him, Yuki found a different way to ship it and it arrived yesterday. Well worth the wait.

Tim

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Tim Anderson wrote:
12/11/20 20:43
Hellmtflies wrote:
Mine was rejected by the USPS although the address was correct. When the book finally got back to him, Yuki found a different way to ship it and it arrived yesterday. Well worth the wait.

Tim
"OK" I'm hang'en n-dare. :)

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Hellmtflies wrote:
12/12/20 11:07
Tim Anderson wrote:
Hellmtflies wrote:

Tim
I received my copy today! :wave I'll start to plow through it as soon as I finish the book I'm into now.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I finished reading just last night. Liked the book a lot, it's sweet, and a tribute to the obsessed who work so hard for our enjoyment. It's a chatty and charming book, and full of great information on American makers, Japanese waters and trout. But the heart of it is the cool profiles on the makers.

Now, I could have read in one sitting, but it was a delicious read, and so I parceled it out over a couple week's time. It includes stories on glass and graphite makers, who aren't "just wrap up a tube and sell it" fellas. And women, yes, there are women in the book. The moody black and white photography looks like history. Great shots of the makers casting their creations (capturing fly casting well is not easy to do). The book took me to another place...like Japan, where I've fished once, and now itch to return. Maybe I'll order up a rod, and take delivery in-person next year.

You may know I like shorter, lighter cane, and fish some small waters. These makers are making rods perfect for my style of fishing. And, this book (and the one Japanese rod I own and love, 8' Akimaru for DT3), makes me want to own more rods made by such solo craftsmen, or craftspersons, laboring away in a small, cluttered shop in a foreign land.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Great book!
Love the writing style. Very intimate as I almost feel like I'm standing next to the author and the rod maker

wiesent
Sport

Post by wiesent »

The book is unfortunately already sold out in the English version. Does anyone know if it will be published again or if it is still available for purchase elsewhere?

Thanks,
Hannes

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

wiesent wrote:
12/27/20 14:15
The book is unfortunately already sold out in the English version. Does anyone know if it will be published again or if it is still available for purchase elsewhere?

Thanks,
Hannes
I believe the english version is in stock, and the J version is sold out.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Hellmtflies wrote:
12/14/20 18:28
Hellmtflies wrote:
12/12/20 11:07
Tim Anderson wrote:
Hellmtflies wrote:

Tim
I received my copy today! :wave I'll start to plow through it as soon as I finish the book I'm into now.
I'm half way through this bugger. I have found it to be simply wonderful in exploring a world of rod makers that I would probably never have heard of before. Well done! I will say that there are a few statements through out that do somewhat raise an eyebrow and left me curious as to what the author was trying to convey.
Mark
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 01/01/21 10:26, edited 2 times in total.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

New Japanese Rodmaker book

Post by ibookje »

English is obviously not his native language. And Japanese language has many different ways to say something which might sound a bit odd to us :)

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Based on all of the glowing reports, I placed an order today. Yuki assures me that the English version is still available.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Its very enjoyable read Pete

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

FWIW, the author, Yuki Bando, has fished a great deal here in the US. In fact, I fished with him years ago here in the Black Hills. He's a close friend of Glenn Brackett and also contributes often to the Sweetgrass newsletter. Small world...

His new book is also offered by Amazon.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

It may read oddly at times, but imagine if one of us wrote a book on Japanese rodmakers, in Japanese. You can imagine the guffaws our prose would raise over there.

The first Japanese Americans arrived in the US from the 1880s (but very few then) till about the 1920s (our gramps arrived in 1914, Seattle). The language was different then, Meiji era Japanese, and to today's Japanese it sounds odd, dated, old fashioned. Add in the fact that many came from rural circumstances, and also add provincial differences. Then Pearl Harbor occurs, and ties to the old country are severed; few Japanese "come over" till the 60s. Add in the forced internment during the war, and the culture is somewhat "frozen in time." Here's an example:

For restroom most of us in America used the common term benjo. When any of us JAs went to Japan and asked to use the benjo, there was shock and dismay -- it's like saying Can I use the shitter? We had no idea, that's all we knew. And then Japan incorporated a lot of English: besi baru, toilet-o. I found Bando-san's book highly informative and entertaining, really evocative and moody black and white work too.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

As one who learned a second language (German) as an adult and has done a lot of translating out of and into it, I greatly admire Yuki's willingness to make the courageous step of writing in English. Among other things in the book, I love the essence of the Japanese spoken by the various rod makers which Yuki seems to convey in English. I read everything slowly and with relish! I find the book a treasure.

Tim

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

The way this book is written (aka typical Japanese/Asian) gives the book an own character unlike any other books on bamboo. I hope there are enough published to allow anyone interested in bamboo rods other than the common American built a look with a different view. This helps preventing 'this is how its done' mentality.

Darrell your examples are hilarious and true! As an European I regularly forget using the term 'restroom' rather than 'toilet' (that's what its called here) in the US :)

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Yeah, it's actually happened to many who've gone there from America. My dad who served during the Occupation with the US Army during the war (saw MacArthur ride in in his touring car) later went back to Japan in the 1980s. He could not recognize the place, it was all new (like in German cities). And he had to remember to use as modern a form of Japanese as possible. The people, landscape and the language had changed so much by the 80s.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Wow, what a wonderful book - so interesting, so informative, so challenging, so thought provoking. Sure Yuki's English can be a little clunky at times but that only serves to make the book more endearing. Mostly Bamboo is a showcase of Japanese innovation and new-school problem solving and innovation. Got to hand it to them.

Return to “Book Talk”