New Japanese Rodmaker book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Re: New Japanese Rodmaker book

Post by pmcroberts »

Book arrived in this evenings mail!!! Can not wait to immerse myself in to this one!!

Paul

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

16pmd wrote:
11/28/20 21:09
The rod makers featured in the book:

Kakuhiro Nonaka - Kakuhiro rods
Hideto Ishida - Kagerow rods
Tadanobu Shindo - Genius Rod Maker
Naoto Shibuya - Kawatsura rods
Kojiro Murata - K. Murata Rod Co.
Ryuno Tsujibayashi - Ryuno Rod Custom
Hironobu Kitao - AWOL rods
Jun Yokota - J. Yokota Rod Maker
Katsumi Harada - Harada Takezao
Kiyoshi Uda & Yuta Nidaira - Fagus rods
Hiroshi Ishikawa -Campanella rods (glass and graphite)
Naoki Hashimoto - Tokachi rods
Satoko Uraguchi - Chako Bamboo
Noriyuki Osama - Asama Rodworks
Toshiyuki Maekawa - Maekawa Craft
Hidenobu Kotake - Bum Rod
Masaki Takemoto - Takemoto Rod
Satoshi Maruyama - Solid Octagon (solid graphite)

Fascinating book - more later.
Thanks, much appreciated! Some of the brand names are charming - Genius Rod Maker, Bum Rod, AWOL rods. I’m a bit surprised that neither Akimaru nor Masa ( Genten Rods ) are in the book, but I guess all makers of glass, graphite and cane rods can’t be represented in one project. I look forward to hearing more of your insights into the book 16pmd.

Adrien

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Well, mine arrived in today's mail. Initial impressions are that the book is produced to very high standards; the B/W photographs of the makers, shops, rivers are outstanding, as are the color photos of the rods at the end. I think I'll savor this one.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Am reading right now and it's a pretty cool book. The black and white photography is excellent, moody stuff. I also like his writing style, am amused sometimes because he goes for a chatty American style, and mostly succeeds. 'Course I'm old enough to recall how fractured the English was in 50s-60s packaging -- a package of sesame seeds told the user to "destroy the seeds in a bowl." (It meant to crush the seeds.)

I own but one Japanese rod, and I think I need more. And I think I need to fish in Japan again.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

adrien schnee wrote:
11/29/20 04:49
16pmd wrote:
11/28/20 21:09
The rod makers featured in the book:

Kakuhiro Nonaka - Kakuhiro rods
Hideto Ishida - Kagerow rods
Tadanobu Shindo - Genius Rod Maker
Naoto Shibuya - Kawatsura rods
Kojiro Murata - K. Murata Rod Co.
Ryuno Tsujibayashi - Ryuno Rod Custom
Hironobu Kitao - AWOL rods
Jun Yokota - J. Yokota Rod Maker
Katsumi Harada - Harada Takezao
Kiyoshi Uda & Yuta Nidaira - Fagus rods
Hiroshi Ishikawa -Campanella rods (glass and graphite)
Naoki Hashimoto - Tokachi rods
Satoko Uraguchi - Chako Bamboo
Noriyuki Osama - Asama Rodworks
Toshiyuki Maekawa - Maekawa Craft
Hidenobu Kotake - Bum Rod
Masaki Takemoto - Takemoto Rod
Satoshi Maruyama - Solid Octagon (solid graphite)

Fascinating book - more later.
Thanks, much appreciated! Some of the brand names are charming - Genius Rod Maker, Bum Rod, AWOL rods. I’m a bit surprised that neither Akimaru nor Masa ( Genten Rods ) are in the book, but I guess all makers of glass, graphite and cane rods can’t be represented in one project. I look forward to hearing more of your insights into the book 16pmd.

Adrien
DITTO! And what about Kabuto?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Kabuto doesn’t make bamboo rods I think?

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Mark, that’s right. I had been thinking of bamboo rod builders, but of course Kab is one of the outstanding makers in e glass designing and building rods today. Perhaps there will have to be another volume!

Jay, this book a bit unusually ( and interestingly I think ) features builders in graphite, glass and bamboo, so Kabuto could potentially have been among them.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Mine is still in transit

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I’ve just read Mostly Bamboo, Yuki Bando’s brand new book on Japanese rods. Here’s my take on it:

I think it’s terrific and a great window for us Americans to look through to see what’s been going on in Japanese rodmaking. For years we’ve been catching small glimpses of what Japanese rodmakers have been doing, but this is the first time somebody has captured a wide variety of innovations and adaptations Japanese rodmakers have come up with.

What comes through clearly is that rodmakers in Japan have been aware of and influenced by classic American makers like Payne, Leonard, Young, E.C. Powell, Garrison, and others and current makers like Brandin, Brackett and others. The connection between American and Japanese rodmakers has always been there, but this book makes it plain to us Americans. Yuki’s previous book, written in Japanese, profiled American rodmakers and illuminated that connection to Japanese readers. Yuki Bando is one of the very few people who knows the bamboo rod communities in both countries and is uniquely qualified to write about them both.

His choice of rodmakers to profile I think was to show the wide range of innovations Japanese
rodmakers have developed to adapt their rods to Japanese fish and fishing. Not all of their rods are ones we Americans would find useful, but the innovations and the intense pursuit of perfection are elements that American rodmakers can adopt and American anglers can appreciate.

Not least is Yuki Bando’s engaging and personal style in telling not only the stories of those rodmakers, but also his own experiences with fishing and bamboo rods. His excellent photography also adds to the beauty and personal nature of the book.

I appreciated the links to sources of the rods, especially because we so far don’t have a lot of opportunities to see what those makers and others have to offer. Now if we can just get some of those rods and rodmakers over here and cast some of their rods…

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Agree on all points with 16pmd, fella seems to know what he's talkin' about.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:
12/01/20 10:19
Kabuto doesn’t make bamboo rods I think?
I knew that but I was hoping the book covered more than just bamboo. Based on the title I thought there may be other materials covered. My mistake.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Mark, perhaps Bando-san has that in the works! ;)

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Just received the book. I was surprised to see it is a soft cover book.

littlelehighriver

Post by littlelehighriver »

Yuki Bando's latest book, Mostly Bamboo, is indeed written entirely in English, and the photography is outstanding. Bando interviews the makers listed in a previous post in this thread and provides an in-depth look into the processes involved in crafting these high-quality rods. It is now available on Amazon for $49 US at:

https://www.amazon.com/MOSTLY-BAMBOO-YU ... 4909174060

Bando, Yuki. (2020). Mostly Bamboo. Flybito Press.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Although the $49 price on Amazon seems like less than what we, who ordered directly, have paid, shipping for an Amazon order is $25, so the total Amazon price is $74. My PayPal payment was less for the direct order which includes shipping. I guess it depends on the exchange rate used for an individual PayPal account, but my dollar total was $68.66. Hellmtflies did better at $65.44!

Tim

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Yuki is the seller on amazon. A little cheaper to order from his website directly.....

labvis
Sport

Post by labvis »

Paul,
Thanks for the link! Can't wait to receive my copy :)

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

I just ordered my copy yesterday. Really looking forward to it. The dark rainy days of winter are starting here in NW Ore - e - gone. Hehe, that's just a joke. Say, Ore - e - gun, gun -- not gone. We tell people the other way to let everyone know who's a foreigner.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Just received my copy today. I am absolutely astounded by the quality of this book in many way.

Joe here.

Ps: Paul, thank you for everything over the years. Also, so, do you know how to distinguish German silver from ss? Bill has four sheets with one with a few with a few punched holes that I think were were making butt caps. Steve gave the sheets to Bill when we were downing his shop. What a sad loss. If those sheets are GS, they need go a maker.

I am glad you made it through the fires. More to come on a holiday wish.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Hello Joe!!

DM sent!!

I actually thought we were through with the fires, but two nights ago we were assembled as part of a Task Force to respond to any large incidents in the state!! It is really weird to say the least when we are having large wildland fires in December??? Last years strike team came home December 24....Yikes!!

Best,
Paul

PS- I am really enjoying this book!! As I expected, the printing quality would be top notch!! I hope there are more volumes in the future!!

Return to “Book Talk”