The Feather Mechanic

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

The Feather Mechanic

Post by creakycane »

Having reached the pinnacle of my fly tying ineptitude years ago, I’ve sworn off buying fly tying books. The Feather Mechanic, a fly tying philosophy, has me thinking of making an exception. Anyone seen it and can tell me what I’m missing? Thanks, Happy New Year.

https://www.anglebooks.com/the-feather- ... -spuy.html

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Feather Mechanic

Post by billems »

I have the guy as a friend on FB, and he posted some of the flies. He's an artist, and the images are drawn and sometimes painted. Incredible detail. He's exhibiting flies he uses in South Africa, so not real sure how many translate. But the worksmanship and skill in rendering makes want to buy it anyway.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

In a nutshell it’s a how to tie patterns book. The patterns are mainly South African obviously.
Refreshing are the clear drawings rather than photos. Dave Whitlock comes to mind. Every pattern has a story around it.

For me it’s one of the nicer ‘how to tie’ books. For who are looking for tying techniques rather than instructions it is certainly worth a look.

Wiseguy

Post by Wiseguy »

I recently got my grubby paws on a copy of this book and thus far I'm impressed. I should state upfront that I may be biased, being a South African, and knowing Gordon. Having said that, I feel that the book is very well put together, and easy to follow. Gordon is a thinker, form follows function is his motto throughout, so the patterns aren't followed pedantically. I want to use wood duck but don't have any, ok let's try mallard instead. It makes one think about the reason a material is used, and what could alternatives be? As far as patterns, well, a Papa roach should work anywhere dragonfly nymphs exist, and can be easily tweaked to adjust for size, colour etc. Most of our flies are based on either UK or American patterns, one of my favourite dries is the good old Adams. We may be continents away from each other, but I believe that our insect life and that in America has more similarities than differences. That's my 10c worth, the book is well written, beautifully illustrated and just a bit different from others I have read, and I believe will be relevant to most places in the world.
All the best, Mike.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

The drawings are marvelous. I like that way of crafting a book.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Feather Mechanic II

Post by creakycane »

I see there is a follow-on the the Feather Mechanic, put out by the same author, and surveying fly designers and tyers from around the world. If anyone has seen it and can comment, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

jmyates
Sport

Post by jmyates »

I see there is a follow-on the the Feather Mechanic, put out by the same author, and surveying fly designers and tyers from around the world. If anyone has seen it and can comment, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
It's currently only pre-sale with expected delivery sometime in August.I ordered a copy so can update after it arrives.

Mitch

Variant
Sport

Post by Variant »

Mitch,
I am also interested in the follow up book.
Where can I submit a pre- order ?

Thanks , Lou
In sport, method is everything. The more the skill the method calls for, the higher its yield of emotional stir and satisfaction, the higher its place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values . RODERICK HAIG - BROWN

jmyates
Sport

Post by jmyates »

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Thanks!

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

His youtube page is also great. He talks a lot of philosophy. Very South African vibe. He's an interesting guy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

creakycane wrote:I see there is a follow-on the the Feather Mechanic, put out by the same author, and surveying fly designers and tyers from around the world. If anyone has seen it and can comment, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
I’m one of the tiers in this new book by Gordon. Also looking forward to the result

Variant
Sport

Post by Variant »

Thanks, Mitch

Lou
In sport, method is everything. The more the skill the method calls for, the higher its yield of emotional stir and satisfaction, the higher its place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values . RODERICK HAIG - BROWN

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

ibookje wrote:
creakycane wrote:I see there is a follow-on the the Feather Mechanic, put out by the same author, and surveying fly designers and tyers from around the world. If anyone has seen it and can comment, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
I’m one of the tiers in this new book by Gordon. Also looking forward to the result
Very cool.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Preview of Gordon’s new book

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

His damsel fly nymph pattern is a favorite of mine. The silhouette is thin and the fly has nice subtle movement.

-J.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

ibookje wrote:
07/23/23 05:48
Preview of Gordon’s new book
Is the book available anywhere?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

The Feather Mechanic

Post by ibookje »

Gordon’s first book titled ‘The Feather Mechanic’ is sold out. It’s a bit early for appearing on the used market but that’s where one might run into.

His second book isn’t out yet. It’s getting printed as we speak.

Distribution in USA is by Sideling Hackle. For Europe is Coch-Y-Bonddu Books

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

ibookje wrote:
07/27/23 11:11
Gordon’s first book titled ‘The Feather Mechanic’ is sold out. It’s a bit early for appearing on the used market but that’s where one might run into.

His second book isn’t out yet. It’s getting printed as we speak.

Distribution in USA is by Sideling Hackle. For Europe is Coch-Y-Bonddu Books
Thanks. I just ordered a copy at Sideling Hackle ($50 with shipping).

Mark Dankel
Sport

Post by Mark Dankel »

I was able to purchase a copy of the first volume yesterday from www.ananglersbookcase.com. I'd already purchased it on Kindle from Amazon, but I'm old and prefer to hold a real book. Second volume, ditto ibookje and flyty2 - pre-ordered from Sideling Hackle which hopes to have them "in August..."
Last edited by Mark Dankel on 08/15/23 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible. - Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Return to “Book Talk”