Per Brandin's New Book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Per Brandin's New Book

Post by Hellmtflies »

Just FYI. For those of you waiting for your copy there has been a glitch. My copy was sent with the two day express via Fed Ex. I'm now five days out and still waiting. I spoke to a Fed Ex delivery person yesterday. She advised that due to the storms in the south, Texas through Tennessee, most packages will be at least a week or more before they can be moved from those locations. They are way behind and backed up. Again, just FYI.
Mark

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

At some point Fedex should be refunding shipment $'s. I understand a 3 or 7 day weather delay in a priority 2 day delivery, at some point they have to say "we blew it, here's a refund". Of course I've called them, they won't admit to losing the package, and customer service reads back exactly what's on the tracking screen.

Anybody waiting longer on fed ex than 3 weeks? It took 7 days to reach Memphis, after 14 days in Memphis no updates on the package status.

Sunday, February 21, 2021 11:18 PM MEMPHIS, TN In transit
Sunday, February 21, 2021 10:50 AM MEMPHIS, TN Arrived at FedEx location
Friday, February 19, 2021 12:05 AM EAST GRANBY, CT Shipment exception Delay beyond our control
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 10:36 AM EAST GRANBY, CT Shipment exception Delay beyond our control
Monday, February 15, 2021 7:04 PM WEST HATFIELD, MA Left FedEx origin facility
Monday, February 15, 202110:01 AM WEST HATFIELD, MA Picked up
Sunday, February 14, 2021 6:25 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx

Something bigger seems to be happening in the package handling industry. Since January between Fed Ex and USPS, this is the fifth package that has been seemingly lost, sent across country in the opposite direction or had an inexplicable delay.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

FYI, here's my detailed tracking; I ordered early AM Feb 13. It was stuck in Memphis for about 5 days.

Wednesday, February 24, 2021 1:40 PM MILLBRAE, CA Delivered Package delivered to recipient address - release authorized
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 8:01 AM SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, CA On FedEx vehicle for delivery
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 7:08 AM SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, CA At local FedEx facility
Tuesday, February 23, 2021 6:42 PM SAN FRANCISCO, CA At destination sort facility
Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:42 PM MEMPHIS, TN Departed FedEx location
Thursday, February 18, 2021 11:58 PM EAST GRANBY, CT Shipment exception Delay beyond our control
Thursday, February 18, 2021 12:42 AM EAST GRANBY, CT In transit
Wednesday, February 17, 2021 12:00 PM INDIANAPOLIS, IN Departed FedEx location
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 4:10 AM INDIANAPOLIS, IN In transit
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 1:14 AM INDIANAPOLIS, IN Arrived at FedEx location
Saturday, February 13, 2021 5:17 PM WEST HATFIELD, MA Left FedEx origin facility
Saturday, February 13, 2021 2:42 PM WEST HATFIELD, MA Picked up
Saturday, February 13, 2021 11:45 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx

Dale

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Could be with covid that the shipping industry is being inundated to their ears, and over their heads. But I got my copy within 5 days or ordering.

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

COVID and the recent extreme weather down to TX have wrought major delivery issues lately. I get on-demand updates from FedEx for work and the frequency the past few months has been far greater. My logistics guy is full of complaints these days beyond FedEx as well.

From their web page.

The COVID-19 outbreak has disrupted supply chains around the world. We're continuing to operate in impacted areas as local conditions and restrictions allow.
We have suspended our money-back guarantee for all FedEx Express®, FedEx Ground®, FedEx Freight® (except FedEx Freight® Priority Plus) and FedEx Office® services until further notice.
We’ve suspended Signature Required for most shipments.

Anyways, back to great comments on the book when it does arrive.

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I ordered mine (a trade edition) on March 7 and it will arrive tomorrow, March 9...New York to N. Cal. No problems. To the book, it should be excellent. I’ve owned only one E. C. Powell, a 7-8wt. Steelhead rod. Although it was a big sucker, it was hollow built in the butt and with a welll matched reel, it balanced perfectly in my hand and felt almost weightless...a great rod. From the table of contents, it should be an equally great book. Oh, and dealing with Per Brandin was easy and pleasant.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Yay! I received mine today! Top shelf as expected.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Mine took forever too but whatever it was totally worth the wait.

And by the way at first the tracking system said it would arrive on time in 2 days it always says that on fedex. It’s only until it doesn’t arrive that you get notification that the time is being revised and then they don’t give an update for days. Just sit tight it will get there.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

Mine only took 4 days via FedEx!

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

Folks--
I got the book a few days ago and have been reading slowly, savoring it. There is a flavor to it that suggests that the western rodmakers are a more advanced generation than the rest of the country. I'm accepting that idea as I read, but I'm sure it will be hotly contested. It's a marvelous book and the price is a bargain.
--Lindsay

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The flavor I got - the main point - was to document the fact the EC Powell was a rod making savant who intuitively knew how to make rods do what he wanted and that his results were exceptional. I don’t think Per wants to turn this book into a contest about east vs west coast rod maker superiority.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

After 3 weeks of a "Fed Ex No Show", Per sent another and of course it arrived in three days! Kudo's to Per and thumbs down to Fed Ex.

This is an exceptional piece of work, PB's passion is evident and I'm looking forward to hours in this book.

I wish Chris L. was still participating on the forum, I'd like to have a discussion with him after I've digested this.

Fantastic work PB!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Pm me, can put you in touch.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Wow. This is an excellent history, with the added value of the author's expertise as one of the world's leading rod makers. It is beautifully illustrated, nicely organized and VERY well researched, written and edited.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Mine arrived today! Interesting to know that Mark Canfield contributed to this wonderfully written and presented book. I only own a 4wt 3/2 Buddy Powell... so it was interesting to picture this rod with the cup Herman dedicated to his.... Buddy!

Thanks Per & Friends who helped him!

Cheers
Arthur

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

It is a magnificent book. Clearly a labour of love and the overall result sets a very high benchmark. I will treasure mine and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in cane rods, whether you aspire to own a Powell or not.

Return to “Book Talk”