Per Brandin's New Book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Per Brandin's New Book

Post by Flyman615 »

The payment process works well. I received confirmation of my FED/EX shipment of the book today.
Should be here Wednesday. :)

Not so fast...the bad weather nearly nationwide has now delayed shipment of my book and FED/EX cannot tell me when it even might be delivered. Rats!

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 02/18/21 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:\ I'll send a check.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Got it today, gave it a once over. Firstly it's beautiful. Secondly, from what I've read so far, it's very well written, informative, and fun. Amazing contributors and pictures, too. It's very thorough and deserves more time and consideration than what I could give it tonight to properly review it. However, if previous comparable works seemed to run out of gas at times that certainly won't be the case here.

Don't sleep on this. If this is the only pressing you may regret not jumping on it.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

My copies came last night. Beautifully done! Can't wait to spend some time with this one.

Paul

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Mine came yesterday. Extremely well done, as though that's any surprise given Per's stature. Get this one while you can.

LakesideAl
Sport

Post by LakesideAl »

I had pre-ordered and just now paid for my limited slipcase edition of Per's new book.
Congrats to Per for all his hard work on bringing this E. C. Powell story to light and getting it to press.
Can't wait to get it.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

>:(

I shouldn't complain, since I'm not affected by the weather in this country, but my book was supposed to arrive via FedEx two days ago. Tracking has been suspended due to weather delays. Argh! No tentative arrival date for my book.

Dale

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Ordered my copy and got the shipping notice today. Looking forward to reading the book when it arrives.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

dale wrote:
02/18/21 15:03
>:(

I shouldn't complain, since I'm not affected by the weather in this country, but my book was supposed to arrive via FedEx two days ago. Tracking has been suspended due to weather delays. Argh! No tentative arrival date for my book.

Dale
Ditto.

Scott :(
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

My book arrived! I paid for the book on Tuesday evening and it arrived today. The book is a very high quality production. I am impressed.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

When is the movie coming out?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

UPDATED Monday, 2/22:

Well normal Fed/Ex deliveries have resumed, thank goodness. I received my volume today and all I can say is, "What an achievement!!"
Perhaps the very best book on bamboo rods/makers I have ever seen! And I own most all of them.

Congratulations and a BIG THANK YOU to Per. I salute you!

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 02/24/21 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

Mine still in transit. Good news, though, as it left Memphis yesterday...

Dale

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Mine arrived an hour ago. After a 1-hour skim I can safely say this is the most important bamboo rod making book to me I’ve ever cracked. Yes even more so than the Garrison book. I’m from CA and a rod maker so it’s that special to me. Somebody please, please, please write a similar work on R L Winston before I die - I understand there is an unfinished book hanging out there.

Attention makers; there are some really special tapers in this book you have got to see. Long light rods that should blow our socks off.

Last edited by BigTJ on 02/24/21 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

They are also on sale at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center museum store. Good opportunity to acquire a great book and support the museum.

Tom

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

Mine arrived today over a week late due to weather. Just got Covid vaccine #2 yesterday and I feel like crap, so I can’t get the energy to open the package. I’m not complaining though!

Dale

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Rec’d, gave a light going thru...oh my, its great. I should kept that 8’ EC I had (it was cut down, no loss).

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Just received the slip cover edition. I am only 44, so never really collected books, but is like nothing else i have. Have not had the time to sit down and read as my 4 year old is next to me. I am looking forward to it.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

Just cracked open the trade edition, which is no plain book! Books aren't made like this anymore. I meant to spend just ten minutes or so, but ended up sitting for two hours. I didn't know EC’s Buddy died in a car crash, at a nearly identical age as his namesake in a plane crash that made the music die. That tragic death also reminded me of James Dean's death in the Central Valley, further south, in a car crash. Anyway, I digress.

I also didn’t know that Per lost a lot of rods in the Oakland Hills fire in October, 1991. I was in Kauai at the time, vacationing with my new wife, when the fire hit. I live on the Peninsula, and know the area in Oakland well. That could have really been tragic.

Wrong! It was tragic, as 25 died.

Per also referenced an article in California Fly Fisher, by Tom Chandler, which is exactly how I got interested in bamboo fly rods. I’ve got to dig out my old issues to re-read that article. My link from my post below doesn’t work anymore, thanks to a certain outdoors writer from the Chronicle. The article is worth reading.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2348&p=39533&hilit ... ers#p39533

You can read about why Tom's blog, Trout Underground, truly went underground:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=82115&p=634672&hil ... er#p634672

I digress again. I do that! I really look forward to continue reading the book! Thanks, Per!

Dale

hoagy b carmichael
Guide

Post by hoagy b carmichael »

Hello all:

I have read every word of Per's book, If you are interested in rod making, and the evolution of the hollow built rod, I strongly suggest you purchase this book. It is an easy read, with a design concept that is unique, and a myriad of great images that help tell the story. I learned a lot from Per's book, and now understand that the boys in the east were not the only makers who were working on innovative ideas.

Return to “Book Talk”