Gene Hill

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Gene Hill

Post by RMorrison »

Bud wrote:Hill country is as good as any to start with. I have several of his books I can lend you if you are just wanting to read them.
Most kind of you Bud but I found a copy for $15 and it’s on the way. I look forward to a new author to read. Thanks!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

JabaliHunter wrote:So which is your favourite of his books? Would Beyond Hill Country be a good place to start, or is that an extra for when one has already read his other works?
They're all great of course but I suppose Hill Country is my favorite. Beyond Hill Country is a compilation of writers and friends telling Gene Hill stories along with a lot of photos. As you surmised, it's probably best savored after reading Gene's books. But it's a great read, and will make you miss the man even more.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Shelldrake

Post by Shelldrake »

I too love all of Hill's stuff and have most of his books. Another of my favorites is Gordon MacQuarrie. His writing was way ahead of it's time in an age of Hook & Bullet writers. Since reading "Stories of The Old Duck Hunters and Other Drivel" as a teenager, I have always yearned for a cabin on a lake in the woods.

Havana
Sport

Post by Havana »

Love Gene Hill's writings. My Dad was in the firearms business and I grew up on his works, and Zern, Elliott, Carmichel, et al.
Always liked Hill the most, his writing made you smell wet dogs, gun oil, wood smoke, and brown liquor.
Some days I fish, the rest are wasted

Return to “Book Talk”