Fires are coming closer...

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Fires are coming closer...

Post by Rockthief »

We live on the Calapooia River just where the Calapooia valley opens into the long and broad Willamette Valley. We are a hair from Level 2 which means get your vehicles packed and be prepared in case of Level 3 which means get out now. The fires here in Western Oregon are raging, some not being fought because there are insufficient numbers of firefighters and equipment. We need massive help. One fire is 30+ miles NE and the other is half that SE with one small one much closer. My dear Brownsville survived two fires in the early 1900s, just a bit more than a hundred years ago. Our house survived those and my greatest hope is that it survives this. I guess I am writing because it feels good to let the words out. We are anxious of course and thinking positively. If you have spare fire engines, three thousand fighters and some air tankers, please send them our way. I have twenty or so reels in the car. Probable take my beloved SB290 as well. Michael Sinclair made it beautiful.
Hug your loved ones and kiss your pets.
Best wishes to all.

Paul

SteveCNJ

Re: Fires are coming closer...

Post by SteveCNJ »

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way. Stay safe and good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bhuz
Sport

Post by bhuz »

Paul,
The devastation here in western Oregon is unbelievable with just about every watershed on fire. There is a huge fire on the Clackamas River not that far from Portland. About a half dozen communities were totally burned in both the N Santiam and McKenzie River canyons. Sounds terrible on the N Umpqua as well, skeptical Steamboat Inn will survive this fire. Frank & Jeannie Moore lost their home. I think the situation may be even worse in the Rogue watershed, maybe Teter can chime in.

We actually have a fire in Yamhill County causing me to think about my escape kit. I’ve determined all my flies and reels can easily fit in a large duffel and I can band my rod tubes in groups of 5 for easy transit to the escape vehicle. After that, the other stuff. I just hope it never comes to that.

The last week has been surreal, like living on Mars.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

Tom

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

I have been lucky enough to visit the Pacific North West of the USA on a couple of occasions. The footage that we are getting on Australian TV of the damage being done by massive wild fires is very distressing. I wish Forum members living in that area all the best in trying to deal with this catastrophe - hopefully there will be rain soon.
Last edited by PT48 on 09/16/20 03:38, edited 1 time in total.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I'm in Ashland, Ore. We were among the lucky ones and feeling very blessed. Our house is about three miles south of where the Almeda fire started. The fire went north and razed most of the towns of Talent and Phoenix, and threatened Medford. Other fires are still raging to the northeast. Local news says 2300 residences were destroyed in Jackson County. The valley is still full of smoke. Our air quality is rated as "hazardous." The car is packed and ready to go if necessary.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. Please stay safe.

mdwwhw
Guide

Post by mdwwhw »

Take care Paul and if they say evacuate, don’t delay.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Good luck, and be safe, Lon, Tom, Paul, and any others in the affected communities!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

The fires near us are out and people are returning to what is left of their homes. We are supposed to get rain starting soon, and maybe some of the smoke will dissipate.

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rockthief »

Hi folks. Thank you. We've had rain and can breathe outside without choking. We even opened our doors and windows. The fires are still raging and the smoke will return. However, this respite is a wonderful gift. It hurts to read the stories of damage and suffering. We are prepared to leave it things change. Cheers!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Great to hear the updates, Guys! Thanks.

Jacque Le Fluer

Post by Jacque Le Fluer »

My Mother and sister lost their home in the fire that swept thru Talent. It is a sad state of affairs. Pray something good will stop the fires

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Prayers to all of you. I've seen the devastation from fire. It truly is bazaar..surreal, as you say. Hard to imagine actually living through it. Stay safe.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

As terrible as the fires and destruction is if the people can come through this okay life can always start again. I hope people do not lose lives trying to shelter in place. If a hurricane of fire is coming at you, GO. Later you can see where you have to start again.

I hope for the best for all of you. My daughter moved to Oregon several years ago and raves about the beauty and now is living with the ash and air from the fires.

Nick

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Some years ago, when we lived in S. CA, we were next on the list to be told to go. Fire was on 3 sides of our neighborhood and so we were packed up and just waiting for the order to get out. They held the fireline on the ridge above the house and didn't have to leave, but had about 1/2" of ash on everything - house, cars, roads, yards and was about as close to being burned out that I hope to ever come. We pray for those less lucky.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I was on my way into Paradise, CA when the fire started raging. Got caught in the exodus trying to get back out. To see the fire from ground level is something to behold. Seeing aerial pictures of the fire on tv does not do it justice. Never want to be in that position again.

Return to “Members Corner”