Hello from North Carolina

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Dr_Don
Sport

Hello from North Carolina

Post by Dr_Don »

Hello, all -

I’ve been a fan and reader of this site for two or three years now (ever since taking Bill Oyster’s class on building your own bamboo rod) and figured it was time to register. Yes, I’m not sure whether I took the blue pill or the red pill, but I definitely went down the bamboo rabbit hole ... and it just keeps getting weirder and weirder (in a wonderful way). I have SO many questions !!

Since building that first rod, I’ve tried my hand at working on inexpensive vintage rods (per advice of Sinclair, Kirkfield, et. al.) and have also collected a few rods (mostly Heddons). I am fighting desperately against the urge to buy planing forms, bamboo torches, depth gauges, etc.

I look forward to all the great twists and turns to come in this journey, and to sharing my experiences as I learn from others. Thanks for this opportunity to participate.

Don Cook
Scaly Mountain, NC

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by PYochim »

Don, I met a gentleman this past summer while fishing in the Bighorns who had a rod he had made in one of Bill Oyster's classes. He was from either North or South Carolina. Was that you?

Paul

Dr_Don
Sport

Post by Dr_Don »

Hi, Paul -

That wasn't me, as I've never fished the Bighorns, though I did make it to Montana/Yellowstone to fish the Gallatin & Madison once. Bill's classes are very popular (he's typically booked at least a year in advance) so I'm sure there are many folks out there who have built a rod with Bill. The Oyster folks are great people and it's amazing how he and Riley can get a whole class to turn out beautiful rods in just a week.

Regards,
Don

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers. Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Welcome, Don!

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Welcome from Chapel Hill, Don

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Welcome. I went down the rabbit hole nearly 20 years ago. I chose to enjoy the fruits of others' labor, whether craftsmen or production rod factory employees (maybe not different things?) rather than make my own rods. With those purchased rods I have fished in many states and countries and caught many beautiful trout. If you have 1 percent of the enjoyment I have had as I approach my golden years, you will be a lucky person.

umcpastor

Post by umcpastor »

Welcome from Winston-Salem!!

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Welcome to the forum, Don! I live in Charlotte.

Dr_Don
Sport

Post by Dr_Don »

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome - especially all my fellow North Carolinians!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woody osborne
Guide

Post by woody osborne »

i know it's late but welcome from another nc fisher(hickory). as teter above said, i ,too, enjoy the fruits of others' labor, using blanks instead of making my own.

Return to “Members Corner”