Do we need a national Classic Fly Fisherman's Association?

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Do we need a national Classic Fly Fisherman's Association?

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Having participated in this forum for about a year now, I've been impressed by the number of members, their expertise and level of participation. It seems a real community of Classic Fly Fisherman has developed here over the years. You have helped me in my own knowledge immeasurably. My suggestion is why not take it to the next level? We could create an national organization of Classic Fly Fisherman, concentrating on collecting, making, and fishing antique fly rods, reel, and everything that goes along with that. It could have a periodic publication, membership, and everything that such organizations have (we already have the popular forum). The Old Reel Collectors Association and the National Fishing Lure Collectors Club both have a forum and long standing group, and the participation for both of those pales with the participation here. Of course it would be a lot of work for a bunch of people, and I would be happy to help out all that I can, but it would take someone that knows the major players to take the lead. So what say ye? Who's up for taking the big plunge?
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Do we need a national Classic Fly Fisherman's Association?

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Far from thundering applause and commendations, I nevertheless did not expect my idea to be stillborn into the black abyss of total apathy.

Maybe a change in subject title and little more meat will kick start the discussion.

Proposed name: The Classic Fly Fisherman's Association of America
Proposed goal: To further the survival, use, education and appreciation of classic fly fishing tackle (pre-1960).

No one has any thoughts or opinions on this?? I guess if no one really has anything to say, I have the answer right there... :'(

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

I think it’s a great idea. It would be a great deal of work to put together but I think there are enough enthusiasts here that it could happen. Maybe the subject needs to simmer a little longer here and others will chime in.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

A good idea, but organization and promotion is a big, time consuming, expensive job. Perhaps the gone, and now classic tackle dealers, plus the book writers, are serving the ideal.
Also, "national" is maybe not what you are thinking. There are many people across the globe who appreciate classic tackle.
Respectfully, Joe here Ps: Damn, another cane rod in the closet! When will I learn?

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Before the internet, loose affiliations of enthusiastic tackle collectors existed. They met informally a few times a year at events like New England's Northeast Antique Anglers Show and the R.W. Oliver tackle auctions. They were bound together by certain practices: almost everyone received the Keane and Siegel catalogs, and belonged to the American Museum of Fly Fishing.

The rise of the internet led to more centralized networking through forums like this one. But organizations are shaped by the decisions of their leadership and can thus be exclusive, as well as inclusive. For example, you propose that "classic" fly fishing tackle arbitrarily equates to a pre-1960 timeline. Paul H. Young died in 1960, so under your proposal I could talk about Paul Young's work as a bamboo rod maker, but not the work of Bob Summers, Jack Young, or Todd Young who came after him as part of the Paul H. Young Company. And if you said, "All right, we will set a different date," then you'd gain someone new but lose someone else who didn't like that date.

Now that the internet has been with us long enough to no longer be a novelty, but an underpinning of our society, I think that the time of centralized forums and large enthusiast-associations is drawing to a close. I think that we are moving back toward smaller, loose affiliations of enthusiasts, whose ability to network with other like-minded individuals has been vastly improved by modern communication technology. Each of these tackle enthusiasts now has the independent ability to create a web presence, if they wish, to share what they know about and think is worth caring about in the way of classic tackle.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Well that is certainly one opinion, quashnet. Another thought I had was in order to reduce the effort to get such a group started, it could be completely virtual, at least at first. That would make sense in this time of Covid. You could have an online publication, web site, and interest groups meeting online. You could even have an online convention, as ORCA recently proved. At sometime in the future, it could go real world if the circumstances justified it.

My original idea was that since we have in this forum so much expertise, interest, and participation, some of that could perhaps be channeled to create something greater. It may be, however, that the forum is it and will always be it. That remains to be seen, though...

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing), I'm trying like heck to come up with what a Classic Fly Fisherman looks like - or acts like - or whatever. I can wrap my head, for the most part, about what classic fly tackle looks like (although my definition of that will be as different as the next person's), but a Classic Fly Fisherman? Nope, can't do that one. I don't own enough tweed to fit in, I'm sure. LOL, I just remembered that, in his book, "Fly Fishing for Sharks," Richard Louv described me thusly: "He sported a mustache and beard. His moderately long hair was graying. Somehow I had expected someone more...tweedy."
LOL, so I guess I'll never fit in as a Classic Fly Fisherman.
Gary

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Its just someone who collects and/or uses classic tackle, however that is to be defined...

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

gt05254 wrote:
11/17/20 11:21
For what it's worth (absolutely nothing), I'm trying like heck to come up with what a Classic Fly Fisherman looks like - or acts like - or whatever. I can wrap my head, for the most part, about what classic fly tackle looks like (although my definition of that will be as different as the next person's), but a Classic Fly Fisherman? Nope, can't do that one. I don't own enough tweed to fit in, I'm sure. LOL, I just remembered that, in his book, "Fly Fishing for Sharks," Richard Louv described me thusly: "He sported a mustache and beard. His moderately long hair was graying. Somehow I had expected someone more...tweedy."
LOL, so I guess I'll never fit in as a Classic Fly Fisherman.
Gary
You're classic enough for us Gary... :)

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Someone should put that man in charge of a classic fly fishing museum. I'd sign up for sure.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

You guys are too much. Thank you. Good to have a smile these days.
Gary

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

I would nominate Gary, too, but he's been busy making movies under his Sam Elliott alias, so likely doesn't have the time

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I would say no. I'm not a big joiner, and I think that this forum is great for spreading knowledge and the love of the sport and its tackle. I believe Quashnet said it eloquently and I agree with him.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

A focused organization would be of great benefit, but I wouldn't have any use for another fly fishing forum. Go to the sites for ORCA and the NFLCC, both of which feature references as well as input from the most authoritative people in the field, and perhaps you'll see what the potential is for advancing the study and collecting of rods. And if you haven't seen their magazines, borrow one some time.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

My idea was not to create a new forum, but that such an organization would be an outgrowth of this forum.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Recognizing that I can be accused of being a lazy cheapskate, fortunately I would be excluded from such an organization. All of my cane rods, many of which I have made, are from this century. Why lazy and a cheapskate? No organizing duties for me and no requests for contributions.

Seriously, such an undertaking would require lots of involvement and at least some financing, both of which might be hard to achieve.

Tim

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Yes, I estimate that it would probably take at least a half dozen folks willing to work on it and perhaps invest a little money at the beginning. And the agreement of the owners of this forum that it is something that they see value in doing. A tall order? Perhaps, but I don't think its out of the question...

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

The GT comments were priceless. Surely GT would love to be nominated to break his back, again!

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

It's you guys that are priceless!!
Gary

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Ah! Wonderful ! The Royster has arisen from Ore-gone into his new Idahoan home in the heartland of fly waters and modest sanity.

He's also seems to have blocked me from his cell since I can no longer buy him breakfast at the Wichita! But, I still have his specially tied Yellowstone 1870s fly on my mantle.

Make sure your pipes don't freeze! Joe here

Return to “Members Corner”