I didn't ask to be here

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

stumpstalker

I didn't ask to be here

Post by stumpstalker »

I was just given a Weber MONOGRAM bamboo fly rod, accompanied by a high-condition Akron-built Pflueger Medalist 1494 ½ reel. Its owner had inherited it, will not fish it and knew that I have some connection, however very tenuous, with fly-fishing.

When I uncased the rod, the tip guide slid off the rod tip, and two of the ring guides are gone. Thus, it’s not so high-condition.

Who do you recommend for repairs?

If relevant, I am in Pepperell, Massachusetts.

I wasn’t going to get into another sphere of collecting vintage stuff, but the gifted rod and reel were delivered to my door-step yesterday –- left right there on the granite -- like an orphan. So, I guess it is my fate to be the person to render the rod fishable again.

Thank you. (And, I know; I know; if I ever show my face here again, I had better come with pictures -- and not of me!)

photoguy
Sport

Re: I didn't ask to be here

Post by photoguy »

A good local resource for you to ask is Charlie at Evening Sun Fly Shop, in Pepperell. He's pretty knowledgeable about the sport and may be able to point you in a direction for a local repair.

http://eveningsunflyshop.com

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Just out of curiosity what is the rod length? The “Monogram” is a nice higher grade Heddon built trade rod. You have a really good friend to gift you such a nice rod.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

I'm very close by, sent you a PM

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Stumpstalker, I hope the rod and reel take you on a wonderful adventure into the history and craftsmanship of this type of fly fishing gear and that you become smitten!

By the way, Dana (Carlson Rod) who has connected with you is one of the most respected cane rod builders / restorationists ever to work in this field. You could literally not find a more qualified contact - and he’s a great guy.

Enjoy your gift and all the best with getting it on the water with you!

Adrien

stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I plan to follow up on it.

Uniquafly: When I measured the rod it was in 3 sections; as best as I could quickly determine, it was 34, 33 and 33-inch.

I do not own any device to take pictures, but will corral someone soon.

stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

I took the rod over to Carlson Rod Company and had Dana take a look at it and he began right off with some straightening and will take on the repairs.

The rod is an 8 ½-foot (all sections equal length) 1930s-era, Heddon-built, Weber Monogram, with Perfection tip; loop, and stripping guides.

The rod has been deemed fundamentally sound, but there is a slight amount of play in the ferrules, so we will re-secure those and replace the two missing loop guides.

The Carlson shop is about four miles from my house, so I can’t beat this for convenience. Thanks again for the help from Forum participants.

It was very informative for a novitiate like me and a pleasure meeting with Dana at the shop. He also said he will be providing me (us) with some photos. Who could ask for more?

stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Here are photos of the rod taken by Dana at Carlson Rod Co.

richardawalker
Sport

Post by richardawalker »

You are now at the top of a long, slippery slope!
Enjoy the ride!

stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

My generous neighbor brought over what he called a “bonus”, to follow the gift of the Weber MONOGRAM rod: his grandfather’s aluminum fly box, containing some flies; and some vintage-looking rifle reloading implements.

The box itself I have started to clean up and restore, as the foam rubber material inside had petrified.

Below are pictured the flies. Large flies, I would say, for fishing in Big Country.

As it turns out, his maternal grandfather, George Alden Crandall (1906-1989), of Connecticut, farmed; was educated at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; had a military career, then became a guide and sporting goods wholesaler based out of Casper, Wyoming.

In the photo Colonel Crandall is on the left; it was taken when on Peleliu Island, in 1945.

Return to “Members Corner”