Greetings from the UK

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Parabolic

Greetings from the UK

Post by Parabolic »

I'm a new poster on here, based in the UK.

Having been using split cane trout rods for some time (predominantly Pezon et Michel and Constable) I migrated to split cane spey rods about two years ago, and absolutely love them.

My first salmon on bamboo came last year, 14lbs to my 12' Sharpes spliced.

I am currently kitting out my workshop in order to start making (or trying to) bamboo spey rods, which I'm guessing is leaping into the deep end.

I'm looking for help with this endeavour, so here goes.........

chsparkman
Master Guide

Re: Greetings from the UK

Post by chsparkman »

Welcome! Sounds like you're already down the rabbit hole! It's a great endeavor and you'll find plenty of advice around here.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Greetings from the UK

Post by henkverhaar »

Parabolic wrote:I am currently kitting out my workshop in order to start making (or trying to) bamboo spey rods, which I'm guessing is leaping into the deep end.

I'm looking for help with this endeavour, so here goes.........
Just do it - you'll learn trying. You'll of course make mistakes, and at least some tomato stakes, but part of the fun is figuring out all those things for yourself - and then arriving at that point where you can really say that you made - and designed - the rod you are fishing with. However, if this will be your first build I would probably advise starting with a shortish trout rod. If for no other reason that you may initially have problems finding 'boo big enough to make spey rods, and succeeding in trying to split strips wide enough for those same spey rods...

Return to “Members Corner”