Michigan's U.P.

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Bamboo River
Guide

Michigan's U.P.

Post by Bamboo River »

How many members from Michigan's U.P. I've lived here since 1971 after living all over the place.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Re: Michigan's U.P.

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Lived in Marquette back in the late 70's. How lucky you are! Currently live in Grayling and get back about once a year to visit old friends and wet a line when possible. I still dream of the Yellow Dog and the Garlics...and caught my first trout in the Chocolay. Peace out brother!

John Niemann

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

3 excellent rivers that I fish often.

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

We have dear friends who live in Deerton Michigan and we try to visit a couple times a year. When we do during trout season, I always insist that we fish the Yellow Dog at least once. One of my all time favorite rivers, anywhere in the world! :pipe

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

I live in Marquette and live on a spring creek. I moved here in 1968. The U.P. was wilder then and fishing alone was easier.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Yes and the Triple A road off 510 wasn't a super highway dead ending at the mine. Went down that road and my heart broke. Guess you can't go home again.

John

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Cheers. Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

RAZINGKANE wrote:Yes and the Triple A road off 510 wasn't a super highway dead ending at the mine. Went down that road and my heart broke. Guess you can't go home again.

John
I guess the mining industry won't be happy till the U.P. is destroyed.

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

Yup!

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Perhaps we should have a U.P. get together this summer.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I moved there after graduating from HS in Ohio, 1970. Lived there (Escanaba) until 1986 (minus 4 years USN 1973-1976). Transferred back in 1989-1991, lived in Gladstone. Awesome place if you like the outdoors and outdoor activities.

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

jhuskey wrote:I moved there after graduating from HS in Ohio, 1970. Lived there (Escanaba) until 1986 (minus 4 years USN 1973-1976). Transferred back in 1989-1991, lived in Gladstone. Awesome place if you like the outdoors and outdoor activities.
Shhhhh.

PAGene
Sport

Post by PAGene »

I lived in Marquette from Nov 1975 to late 1979 when working on the CCI Tilden iron ore pelletizing plant in Ishpeming. I will always remember the date as I got to Marquette the weekend after the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. The UP is where I got into fly fishing and I bought my first fly fishing rod & reel. I got a Fenwick FF806 9’ 6wt with a Scientific Angler system 6 reel. By the way I still have the rod and reel, I don’t use the rod much anymore but I still using the reel. I remember that the Marquette parks offered classes in fly fishing casting and a friend, Lloyd and I signed up and we both got hooked on fly fishing.
Very good memories fishing on the Orianna Brook and at the Dead River where it dumps into Superior at the power plant, Gold Mine Creek and many other unremembered small creeks around Ishpeming.
I ran into Lloyd. about 10 years later, on another project in Sheldon Vermont northeast of St Albans and we both got together again to fly fish. Great memories of the good people of the UP, Ano and Toivo jokes, Carl Pellonpaa and the TV show The Finnish Hour.
Gene

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

magpie wrote:
jhuskey wrote:I moved there after graduating from HS in Ohio, 1970. Lived there (Escanaba) until 1986 (minus 4 years USN 1973-1976). Transferred back in 1989-1991, lived in Gladstone. Awesome place if you like the outdoors and outdoor activities.
Shhhhh.
Fairly sure the population of the Upper Penninsula of Michigan has been higher circa mid-1800's and later. Logging had much to do with that, rebuilding after the Chicago Fire and all. Population has been slowly falling since - hard to make a decent living up there. Blue collar or white collar opportunities are fairly limited. I'd go back in a heartbeat though :D

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Ahh Gene...

Hate to break it to you but Carl's show was actually called "Soumi Kuutsu" (sp?) or, for you Appleknockers, "Finnish Culture". If you could actually sit through the show, listen to the incomprehensible, AND enjoy the endless parade of scenes of the countryside of Finland, I salute you. Oh, did you hear the one? Aino and Toivo walked in to a bar....we'll if you lived there, you know the rest.

John

PAGene
Sport

Post by PAGene »

The reason I remember it because in the local paper’s TV Guide it was called the Finnish Hour and it was a half hour show, if I remember right it was on Sunday mornings. I loved living up there but my 1st wife was from Atlanta, and she didn’t like being there at first, and when she first got there, in the winter of 75/76, I don’t think she unpacked bags until May. When we first got to Marquette, we rented the farmhouse from Jack McCracken where he had his horses, behind the mall on the south side of 41, and at the time it was next to the archery club. I just looked on a map and found the farm on S Vandenbroom Rd between W Grove and Iron Ore Heritage Trail. I don’t remember any Iron Ore Heritage Trail or the address being on Vandenbroom Rd, remember there being a railroad, but that was 45 years ago. I got into not only fly fishing, but also cross-country skiing and archery hunting, I had a good time in the UP in my mid to late 20s when I could put up with the cold weather.
Gene

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

The mall is gone now and a new hospital on the bypass. The waterfront is destroyed with apartment and condos. Marquette township is really built up from the 70's.

PAGene
Sport

Post by PAGene »

I can’t remember the name of the restaurant, but it was on the top floor of a hotel overlooking the harbor. A bunch of friends and our wives were having an early dinner one Saturday when someone introduced me to John Voelker, but I didn’t know who he was at the time. Later in the evening someone told me he was the author of Anatomy of a Fisherman. That was the first fly fishing book I had ever bought, and everyone thought I was nuts when I rushed home to get my copy to try to get him to sign it. When I got home and saw that the book showed the author as Robert Traver, I was puzzled but took it back to the restaurant. I found out the Robert Traver was John Voelker’s pen name. I finally got to talk to him, and he was very gracious and signed my book, unfortunately over the years and with all my moves, around the country, I have lost the book. Over the years I heard stories about John sweeping the dirt road behind him when he took a turn off to keep people from following him to his special fishing spots. I don’t know if they were true or not but a Friend who worked for the same company as I in the UP and who grew up in Negaunee said he thought they were all true. I just remember in Ishpeming The Mather Inn Thursdays happy hour and their bird baths. Sorry for the length, just an old man remembering good times and old friends, some who have pass on.
Gene

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

It's the Landmark Inn now. http://www.thelandmarkinn.com/

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I moved there with my parents in 1970 (Escanaba) at the ripe old age of 18, which was the legal drinking age at that time - 7 oz. tap beer was 10 cents, and a shot was 50 cents. A young man, or woman, could hurt themselves I'm telling you. :o
John :pipe

Return to “Members Corner”