checking in

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Johnson Creek

checking in

Post by Johnson Creek »

Howdy,

Just joined the forum after continually being directed to answers here when I've been looking for advice and information. In fact I just gave my Pfluegers -- my granddad's 1492 pat. pending Medalist and my dad's 2094 Gem -- a cleaning, vinegar/water bath and subsequent lubrication ala Bulldog. I'm also interested in older bamboo, having fallen into that world a couple of years ago after being given a used-hard and neglected rod. Underneath the alligatoring and bad varnish was an F.E. Thomas Dirigo made in Brewer, Maine. I did some research and communicated with Steve Campbell who confirmed that it was built on the earlier side of 1896 to 1901. A buddy outside Portland where I live, Terry's Custom Rods, refurbished it for me, and it's very sweet. I'm still toying with line weight, but a 4 DT feels good and casts beautifully. Maybe a 3? It was originally an 8' 3/2. It's a bit shorter now.

And, I just bought my first bamboo, a Wright & McGill Granger Aristocrat 8'6" 3/2 5 wt. So although I've been fishing for 65 years and fly fishing for 25, I'm new to this particular aspect and am very stoked. Can't wait to fish it on the Deschutes.

I've spoken and am ready to do some listening. I of course have pics of the rods/reels if there's interest.

sodbank
Master Guide

Re: checking in

Post by sodbank »

Johnson Creek, Welcome to the forum. We are always interested in seeing pics.

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers. Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Welcome to the forum and by all means, post pics of your rods and reels.
Cheers,
Ron

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Welcome from Michigan's U.P.

Johnson Creek

Post by Johnson Creek »

Bamboo River wrote:
07/01/20 13:06
Welcome from Michigan's U.P.
Thanks for the greeting. I've been in your homeland several times, and have even seen Da Yoopers live.

Johnson Creek

Post by Johnson Creek »

Thanks much for the welcome, fellows. Here are some snaps of my current tools. As you can see, the Thomas butt section is the only one which has escaped amputation. Assembled with the longest tip, it stands almost 7'5", and it's exactly 7' with the shorter one. It's the smoothest rod I've ever cast. I need a rod sock for it--it was rattling around in the skinny aluminum tube when I got it. The Aristocrat has the one refinished tip section but other than that is intact. I'd love to hear about any experiences with similar Wright & McGill or Goodwin rods. I just missed out on an all original Goodwin Aristocrat before finding this one. Thanks for looking--any comments are appreciated.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

I have restored a good number of Goodwin Granger and W&M 8642's and 9050's and a 7030 Victory. All nice rods. About the only issue I have routinely experienced with them is loose (clicking) female ferrules especially on the W&M versions, but I live in a dry region (Alberta) that tends to cause old rods to dry out and expose this particular issue over time.
I still own and fish a restored GG 8642 Special with original tube and sock and love that rod. I often use the 8642 on the bigger rivers in southwestern Alberta where the extra length helps in reaching out to cast dry flies to rising cutthroat trout. I just picked up an all original GG 9050 Aristocrat with tube and sock that I plan to fish as well. I still restore rods and periodically offer them for sale here or on my site.
All I can say is get out and enjoy that Aristocrat.
Cheers,
Ron

Johnson Creek

Post by Johnson Creek »

Hey Ron, thanks for the post. The ferrules on this Aristocrat are VERY tight, as opposed to those on the old Thomas, which I might tape up when I fish it. I'd still love to have a Goodwin rod--thanks for letting me know about your site, I"ll check it out. All best--

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

Welcome Johnson Creek I grew up fishing on Johnson Creek as a child caught many steelhead and even sea run cutts back in the day I fished a 9 1/2 foot Divine rod on the Deschutes this last weekend and had a ball. Paired it with a Hardy St George and boy did those redsides make that reel scream. Good luck to you when you go over to the D

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Welcome. The 8642 Granger is a fine, versatile taper. It can handle fish of 20-plus inches, but even a small trout feels pretty good on it.

The Thomas sounds like a fun rod to fish. Nice to think that a rod more than a century old is being fished, even if it's a bit shortened. Heck, as I got old, I too became shorter.

Return to “Members Corner”