Newbee hoping for rod making gear and advice

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

SteveCarey

Newbee hoping for rod making gear and advice

Post by SteveCarey »

Hi everyone, my name is Steve
I have some skills with woodworking and a nice shop and wanted to try my hand at bamboo rod making. I have 3 sons who I join on the upper Connecticut River in Pittsburg NH frequently. Fast water, lots of fun.
I am looking for some tips on roadmaking, and essential gear that I may not already have. Hoping for someone who may want to move his gear.
Need planing form etc etc etc. Hoping to have 4 done for Xmas. Is that practical?
Ideas and recommendations are encouraged.
thanks
Steve

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Newbee hoping for rod making gear and advice

Post by samsonboi »

You can do 4 rods by Christmas for sure. You have a nice woodworking shop so make some maple planing forms, a binder, etc.

Or you could make a 2 strip quad- no planing forms required.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I would put a WTB add in the classifieds for a planing form and a Stanley 9.5 block plane.. really, once you have that and a depth gage and standard, you can build a rod. You can always add the other stuff as you go. There is a huge amount of info about rod building on this site...I would go and read Harry Boyd's tutorial on rod building prior to starting your first rod...it will save you quite a bit of time and aggravation! Good luck and ask plenty of questions..don't worry if you think they are dumb :) Munsey

SteveCarey

Post by SteveCarey »

Thanks for getting back to me.
Any suggestions on where on line to purchase a depth gauge, standard and good calipers?
thanks
Steve

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Google Genuine Bellinger for the depth guage and standard. Theirs is really nice. I would get a micrometer before a set of calipers. It's much more accurate.

JD Wagner is another great source for rod building jigs and equipment, as is Golden Witch.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I’ll make you a binder just as a fun project from plywood and spare parts. All I’d ask is that you pay shipping. Shoot me a PM if you’d like me to make it.

Like I said, make planing forms from hard rock maple. Look it up on bamboorodmaking.com

All you need is a router, wood, dowel pins, and bolts.

Or there is a hand plane method if you don’t have a router.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

SteveCarey

Post by SteveCarey »

Just saw the maple planer article and think I will give it a try
thanks for the tip Sam

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

George Barnes’ book Fly Rods Galore has very detailed directions on making them. It’s a great book.

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers. Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

Wurmbunt
Sport

Post by Wurmbunt »

Hy Steve,
welcome to the Form,
i like calipers - quick to use and accurat enough for a piece of wood - if the quality is good. A micrometer Display (analog - i hate digital displays, witch will run out of battery, when needed) will make it more comfortable...
A micrometer spindle is a very fine tool and extremly accurat, but not as easy to use as the calipers.
Right in the picture is the depth guage - it makes no sense, to buy a extremly cheap one - you will need this to adjust your planing Form - in deed you have to trust your measurements while adjusting, or you will go crazy!
The plasticbag contains some spare points for the depth gauge. It is extremly unpleasant to have to stop working, because the point is deformed by falling from the bench...
Kind regards,
Andi

Return to “Members Corner”