New member saying hello (+ questions!)

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Revo

New member saying hello (+ questions!)

Post by Revo »

Hello

New member here. Longstanding fly fisherman in England (and occasionally elsewhere: Norway, Scotland, the US).

Looking to get and use a vintage split cane rod. Starting out with a low budget and am after a small rod (6-8') for rivers.

Had on look on ebay and some of the dealers and think any of these makes would be OK

Walker

Farlows

Sharpes

Cummins

Allcock

Partridge

Walker

Milwards

May I ask if there's anything to look for (or look out for!) and also about storage (lying down flat, I think?)

Finally, how does one work out the right line rating / weight for a particular rod? Is it the longer, the heavier? Or trial and error?

THANKS

Oliver

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: New member saying hello (+ questions!)

Post by samsonboi »

Often line weight is marked on the rod's tube. If not, start with a line weight you think "looks right" based on how it wiggles and go up or down from there. The rod will usually be quite a bit slower than the graphite you're probably used to so give your casting stroke time to get used to the rod's action before you write off a line weight! No, line weight is not always the longer the heavier although most VERY long rods (i.e., a 15' salmon spey) are made for a heavier line than, say, an 8' trout rod.

You can get a very good 8' Orvis Battenkill on eBay for a few hundred dollars (or a couple hundred fewer pounds, not sure on the exchange rate except that a pound is quite a bit more than a dollar) just look at the pics and make sure it's not badly damaged or anything. That is probably one of the better starter rods to get you into cane.

Welcome to the forum! I'm no expert, just making some suggestions based on my experience which is quite a bit less than many on the forum (I'm 16).
Feel free to disregard any or all comments I make!
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Morten

Post by Morten »

The rods you have listed, are in general all of fine build. But in general, only some UK models will have a "modern 3/4" action. Personally I find many UK rods to whippy and top heavy , with some exceptions. The shorter Sharpes and Hardy are nice. A Milwards 8 footer would also be something to look for. The Sharpe Fario Club is an iconic fishing tool, but it takes some skill to tame it if you are migrating from graphite.

Revo

Post by Revo »

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers. Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

Revo

Post by Revo »

Good news: I've been offered a Sharpe's Featherweight Scottie 7'6" for £90 posted!

Any advice on what line dressing to use? I hear that silicone can damage the varnish on the rod and I usually apply Airflo Whizz Lube after cleaning my line.

Thanks

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo Revo

That Scottie was my first cane, which I got from Stoddard's in Boston. It is not at all like the usual whippy UK actions, being a progressive, somewhat dry fly taper. It's a true 5wt and pretty versatile. It may have been designed for the US market.

tl
les

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

The Scotties are excellent rods and usually a good bargain. But 90 pounds? That sounds pretty cheap, even if it's a one-tip rod. I would check on its condition. These are impregnated rods, so no varnish issues to worry about.

Revo

Post by Revo »

Thanks chaps. I asked about split cane rods the uk fly fishers' forum and got a message from an older member who is retiring due to ill health. Would I be interested in his Scottie for £90? Yes I would! Should arrive today. I know he fished with it so it should be in good condition; I gave up on ebay as it's so hard for a newbie like me to judge the condition and then there's the issue of action, weight etc that are impossible to assess without the rod in hand. Also, a lot of spinning rods listed as fly and many with shortened tips, etc.

I was watching this one and nearly went for it but decided against in the end.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharpes-The- ... 7675.l2557

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Coming late to this conversation, but I thought I should say, "Welcome to the madness, and you did great on a first bamboo rod!"

I've got a 7-1/2' Scottie, and it's a really nice medium-fast (for bamboo) 5wt that I think will be a nice rod to start the transition from graphite, you just need a more "deliberate" casting stroke.

BTW, I'm also a member of the UKFF, but am usually more active here.

All the best,
Kenneth

Revo

Post by Revo »

It's arrived! what a lovely rod.

date code is

I think that's 1971 (1) July (7) rod number 103. Is that right? Extra good if so as I was born in November 1971

THANKS

Revo

Post by Revo »

Or possibly 1961? I think the 1970s ones had a dash between the year and month and this one has a dot or period (.) mark

Whatever, I love it. Only got a #4 line and I says it wants a #5 but maybe it will work with one weight lighter? (I've also got a #7 but that sounds daft.)

Revo

Post by Revo »

Just been for a chuck in the field opposite. Very very impressed. Glad I didn't got for that 7' one on ebay now.

My old river rod was a carbon 8' / #4 and after several years being weakened from the dings and pings of bead-headed nymphs it finally snapped last week. (Not my fault! Wind and mid-cast change of direction to cover rising fish! It was only a cheap Shakespeare so no great loss.)

But this? This is lovely and already feels like an old friend.

I'm assuming that the Featherweight Scottie in any given length is lighter in overall weight / mass than a non-FW one? Is it also whippier / tippier? Better for dry fly? Or just easier to fish all day and not get tired? Pros and cons of Featherweight?

Return to “Members Corner”