Howdy from Alberta

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

saddlemaker
Sport

Howdy from Alberta

Post by saddlemaker »

Howdy, I am in the process of making/purchasing the tools needed to build my first bamboo rod. I have just started filing the V-groove in the forms I am making. When I am done those I need a binder and an oven then I am ready to get building! I have Bamboo on hand and have all my components ordered and in the mail. For my first build I am going to make a dickerson 8013, the lovely reed 1949 version.
I am born and raised in southern Alberta, I have flyfished for around 30 years, and fished since before I started grade school. I have fished bamboo for close to 20 years but I do also fish graphite. For around 10 years I guided on the Bow River and some southern Alberta Cutty streams, but I have not guided for quite a while now. For a living I am a custom saddle maker and silversmith, and I run some grass cattle in the summers.

Steve

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Re: Howdy from Alberta

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Welcome aboard Steve,
Your interest in cane rod crafting and fishing will find a home here.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Welcome, saddlemaker!

We have a member with the handle Bow River, who was very active a few years back, and also was guide on the Bow River.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Greeting from a fellow native Albertan! I wish you much success in your first build. An 8013 should be a terrific taper for a lot of your home waters. I have fond memories of visiting Country Pleasures In the 80’s when Jim McLennan, Don Cahoon and Neil Jennings I believe were the proprietors. They carried some greenheart rods which I found fascinating and I did a cane rod swap with Jim. I also have enjoyed quite a lot of involvement with silver jewelry over the past couple of decades - but working with design studios, not crafting it myself as you have.

There are a few really great members here from southern Ab, some of them very skilled at rod and reel crafting and fly tying.

Tight lines

Adrien

Return to “Members Corner”