Hello from Wisconsin!

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

nuchamps5
Sport

Hello from Wisconsin!

Post by nuchamps5 »

Hi all, I've been a longtime reader here who finally took the plunge to sign up. I'm thinking of getting my first bamboo rod soon, so figured I might as well join here so I can fully embrace this financially irresponsible decision. :)

Anyway, I mostly fish our small spring creeks in the Driftless here and can't wait for the season to re-open in a month. Maybe I'll have a new rod to try out, even!

-Phil

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Re: Hello from Wisconsin!

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Welcome!

kenwey4534
Guide

Post by kenwey4534 »

Welcome nuchamps5! You are embarking on a slippery slope indeed!

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Always nice to see fellow cheeseheads on the forum... bamboo fly rods are a joy to fish and admire the craftsmanship.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Phil, welcome. You have some fine bamboo rod builders in your state.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

And, great fishing in the Driftless!

Welcome, and be wary of the rabbit hole you are entering!

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Welcome!
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers. Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

nuchamps5 wrote:
12/04/20 22:58
Hi all, I've been a longtime reader here who finally took the plunge to sign up. I'm thinking of getting my first bamboo rod soon, so figured I might as well join here so I can fully embrace this financially irresponsible decision. :)
Welcome to the forum. I guess I've been financially irresponsible for the last 20 years or so myself. :lol Looking forward to seeing you take the plunge.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Phil,
Welcome to the forum.'
If I can do anything for you, I am in Appleton and would be glad to help.
Scott

Cork & Cane
Guide

Post by Cork & Cane »

welcome.

As to the purchase of a new rod. The chase is a big part of this passion. And when you eventually take the plunge, it only hurts for a minute.

355 Ferrari

Post by 355 Ferrari »

Good morning "Hello from WI"

I just registered and saw your post. I was given a bamboo rod as a gift from a friend. It's an Orvis fly rod and is outlined as a FullFlex Pack Rod 7 ft. 3 1/8 oz. Line HCF (7). I contacted Orvis but they do not manufacture this rod any longer. Can you provide information on this since you are looking for a rod? The factory guided me to this forum to address an accurate appraisal on this item. Can you possibly assist with this also?

Thanks
355 Ferrari

355 Ferrari

Post by 355 Ferrari »

I would consider selling this rod, I'm located in Delafield

Phil
355 Ferrari

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

355 Ferrari wrote:
12/07/20 11:36
Good morning "Hello from WI"

I just registered and saw your post. I was given a bamboo rod as a gift from a friend. It's an Orvis fly rod and is outlined as a FullFlex Pack Rod 7 ft. 3 1/8 oz. Line HCF (7). I contacted Orvis but they do not manufacture this rod any longer. Can you provide information on this since you are looking for a rod? The factory guided me to this forum to address an accurate appraisal on this item. Can you possibly assist with this also?

Thanks
355 Ferrari
Hi Phil, I'm definitely not the expert, but I believe there is an appraisal forum here, so I'd check that out! I think they ask for photos, etc. The 7 weight is a little heavy for what I'm looking for, but the other forum members will have some great ideas, I'm sure.

mdwinks
Sport

Post by mdwinks »

Welcome. I currently live in Northern Wisconsin, but I've fished the Driftless in MN many times. Great area to fish to say the least! Only a few short years ago, I took my first plunge into a purchase of a bamboo rod, and I've plunged a few more times since then.

If you need any logical justifications for why this actually makes sense, please let me know. I've got plenty of arguments for why purchasing your first bamboo rod, and your second... (and so on) makes sense. And if you say these arguments enough, you really start to believe them!

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Welcome, also a native Cheesehead who now lives north of the Cities but spends an inordinate amount of time on the right side of the river harassing trout. There are several very good builders in our area and Scott is one of them -- I've seen several of his rods and they're beauties. Have fun!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

nuchamps5 wrote:
12/04/20 22:58

Anyway, I mostly fish our small spring creeks in the Driftless here and can't wait for the season to re-open in a month. Maybe I'll have a new rod to try out, even!

-Phil

This way of life is financially irresponsible indeed, but other than that I have never regretted it. Welcome aboard, now take the plunge!

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

GerardH wrote:
12/07/20 21:22
Welcome, also a native Cheesehead who now lives north of the Cities but spends an inordinate amount of time on the right side of the river harassing trout. There are several very good builders in our area and Scott is one of them -- I've seen several of his rods and they're beauties. Have fun!
I've got to keep an eye out for those rods!

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

WIHEXROD wrote:
12/07/20 10:55
Phil,
Welcome to the forum.'
If I can do anything for you, I am in Appleton and would be glad to help.
Scott
Thanks Scott! I'll definitely reach out if I need anything. Now I just need the season to hurry up and get here. :)

Return to “Members Corner”