I’ll never sell

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Haese56

I’ll never sell

Post by Haese56 »

My dad left me a montague 3 pc 8’6”-9’ flyrod with an extra tip section. I looked it up on ebay and was amused to see the one listed there was in a WWII M8 50 cal spare barrell case just like my Dad’s. Great minds I guess ;). I also have a South Bend #480 10’ which is also in perfect condition. I think these will both be going up on the wall and MY kids can figure out what to do with them. Looking forward to learning a little about them here!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: I’ll never sell

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

These rods like came in surplus canvas barrel "cases" as I also acquire one in such a protective cover.. so you have an 8 12' and 9' Montague? Blue reel seat?

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Those rods will look good on the wall but even better on the stream. Nice rods and Montague was a prolific and good quality builder.

Haese56

Post by Haese56 »

Ahhhhh my Dad was a B26 tailgunner and very straight laced. I thought maybe he actually snitched a piece of AAC gear on his way out after WWII. Actually this has a red reel seat. Given their age they aren’t likely to snap??

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

If the bamboo is in good shape they should still be fishable. Look them over for cracks, splits, etc. the ferrules are tight to the bamboo and go together smoothly, and to make sure the varnish is still sound and protecting the cane and the wrappings before you take them near water. If in doubt, then consult a bamboo rod maker/restorer or indeed hang them on the wall.

I have a restored 102 year old Thomas I love to fish!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Haese56, sounds like you've inherited a Montague Flash model that was built just after WWII. Montague, like other rod makers, had to stop production of metal rod components during the war. They were awarded contracts to make a number of metal parts, bamboo ski poles and bamboo tent poles for the war effort to help keep their staff employed and the factory open.

After the war they had access to surplus items, like the M8 50 caliber spare barrel cases. Montague acquired a boat load of these spare barrel cases and used them as rod cases for models like the Flash, Sunbeam, Clipper, Mt. Tom, Clear Lake and Lake Pleasant. I think these are a great testament to the times, and were probably more popular cases than the standard, due to the connection to the war.

You have a great family heirloom with a great connection back to the war. in which your dad served.

Don't be afraid to fish it if you want to. They were made to fish, and your dad would probably be happy to see it in use again. Don't worry about breaking it or wearing it out. There are a lot of craftsmen out there that can fix and restore them for reasonable rates.

No matter what, enjoy it and cherish the thought of your dad out there on a stream casting to a rising trout.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Return to “Members Corner”