An overdue introduction...

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

miketeachkc

An overdue introduction...

Post by miketeachkc »

My name is Mike Schelp, aka miketeachkc, GreenMan and gnome (yes, I’ve heard of Mr. Hatton. My Gnome came from motorcycle stuff) from Gladstone, MO, part of the Kansas City area. I’m a retired school teacher and medically retired grunt who will willingly fish the local creeks, even if all can expect to catch are Sunfish and Creek Chubs. I joined this group to find information on a few rods, get ideas about having a dear to me SB 290 rebuilt (I’m leaving it as is and will fish it as is) and to research having a rod built for my enjoyment. So far, I’ve been impressed with the help you’ve given me and others, as well as the depth of knowledge and experience. Thank you for letting me hang around!

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: An overdue introduction...

Post by canerodscom »

Welcome Mike! Enjoy the conversation and the excellent advice you're sure to receive.

Harry Boyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Welcome, Mike!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Welcome! My wife grew up about a half-hour south of there, in Overland Park, on the Kansas side. I grew up three hours southwest of there, near Wichita, Kan. Your South Bend 290 is a great rod for warmwater fishing -- I have used mine a lot on bass and big bluegills. Do you ever get adventurous and drive down to Roaring River or Taneycomo?

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

From one gnome to another; Welcome and hope to share some water with a fellow gnome someday!! the cave is open if you ever get to the SW corner of Colorado. and good for you hassling the creek chubs and bluegills, makes me a wee bit envious because I lack Warmwater fishing here and do miss the fish of my youth.

Cheers

Jeff

P.S. make it a week-long visit and I will help you build a rod here in the cave

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Mike, welcome. Do you live in a cave, too?

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Howdy...

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. I lived in Claycomo in the '60s. Enjoy the Forum. Cheers. Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Welcome to the forum
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

miketeachkc

Post by miketeachkc »

Tester: of the trout parks, Montauk is my favorite, but Roaring River is a close second. However most of my trout fishing is on the blue ribbon streams, especially Mill Creek and Crane Creek. More solitude, fewer fish but more rewarding to catch.

To my fellow Gnome: That is a very tempting idea to head to Colorado for a week. I was stationed at Ft. Carson 1991-93 and loved it. I didn’t get as much fishing in as I’d like, but my PB Rainbow came out of a pond in Security while I was “eating lunch” (using the time to fish after rapidly swallowing a PB&J), a 28+ inch female that was a solid, fat old stocker. Luckily, I had an understanding lieutenant I worked for. I think Creek Chubs are highly underrated as a game fish. They are aggressive, hit flies readily, get acrobatic and can get about 10” around here. Not as game as a Bluegill, but a fair trout surrogate in my local creeks. They’re just FUN!

PYochim: I live in the GnomeWood, an area inhabited by gnomes, trolls, fairies and other wee folk. Actually, it started about 35 years ago with my oldest daughter and stories I told her at bedtime. Now, it’s my granddaughters who hear the stories and provide inspiration. Life is good in the GnomeWood!

Return to “Members Corner”