Just Joined from CO

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

flyfish5280

Just Joined from CO

Post by flyfish5280 »

Like many others, I stumbled across this site through searches. Over the past year or so I have been diving deeper into the cane (or arcane) subculture, which runs deep under the fly fishing subculture. It all began when I needed a rod repair and found a helpful person named Rick near me who happens to own the Phillipson brand. Very fortuitous to live so close to such a wealth of knowledge and skill at repairs. After many conversations, as I had to have a few fixes done on some acquisitions of older rods, I even purchased a few more that were on consignment. I have found that hiking deep into a storied canyon that most know of for its tailwater fly fishing can be adverse to 50-80 year old rods. I don’t know that I’m technically a collector, as I have fished every rod I have purchased, including several Goodwin Grangers, W&M Grangers, a Phillipson and a South Creek Ltd. This site has been a wealth of knowledge, esp. for the merits and relative value of bamboo rods from different craftsmen. I have even seen a few offered that I may be interested in acquiring, so I thought it was high time to join. I may even recognize one or two members from my past, which has included fly fishing in NorCal with a club based near Mt. Tamalpais.

Thanks,
Bill

bellbird
Master Guide

Re: Just Joined from CO

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers,
Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

You've found the right place, Bill - welcome from NM!

best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

flyfish5280 wrote:
03/04/21 23:32
I don’t know that I’m technically a collector, as I have fished every rod I have purchased, including several Goodwin Grangers, W&M Grangers, a Phillipson and a South Creek Ltd.
Only my opinion but I wouldn't have it any other way. Welcome from your neighbor to the north.

Paul

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you assembled a nice group of rods already. I'm guessing there will be at least a few more in your future.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Welcome aboard Bill from Steve in Seattle. My son lives in Arvada, when we visit, we visit Eleven mile canyon too! I’ve been to Rick’s Rods and had great conversations with him.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to your future postings.

Tight lines,
Joe

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Rick’s Rods can be like a hidden treasure chest. I bought a very unusual Phillipson from him and had a great long afternoon. Wish he were closer by. Welcome.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Welcome, Bill!

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Just make sure you don't use one of your cane beauties hiking into or out of Cheeseman. Welcome

Return to “Members Corner”