penobscot country

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Jonesg

penobscot country

Post by Jonesg »

Just joined, retired pastry chef ,
I moved up here to north maine 3 years ago and just starting to explore the fishing, seems I landed in a good place for big brookies and LLsalmon.
The east branch of the Penobscot is 1 hour from me.
I've yet to go to the river and theres 2 feet of snow on the ground yet, but weather will be 50F next week so spring is close.
In years past I drove from Boston to Yellowstone and the big horn, I didn't know there was such good fishery less than 7 hrs drive north.
For some reason I thought it was limited to floatplanes only here , maybe I was confused with labrador.

sodbank
Master Guide

Re: penobscot country

Post by sodbank »

Jonestown , Welcome to the forum. The Penobscot system is a real treasure! Enjoy exploring here on the
forum and the river.

Doug

kenwey4534
Guide

Post by kenwey4534 »

Welcome to the forum! The east branch is great water but don't forget about the West Branch. Just follow the golden road from Millinocket to the Big Eddy.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Are you an hour north of the east branch or an hour south ? If you are an hour south you might be within striking distance of my place "Browne's Grace Pond Camps" I'm over near Jackman. Google me. Grace is a mountain Fly Fishing Brook trout pond and we hit the Dead river and Kennebec for land locks and brook trout.

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers.
Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Jonesg

Post by Jonesg »

hatch wrote:
03/06/21 08:39
Are you an hour north of the east branch or an hour south ? If you are an hour south you might be within striking distance of my place "Browne's Grace Pond Camps" I'm over near Jackman. Google me. Grace is a mountain Fly Fishing Brook trout pond and we hit the Dead river and Kennebec for land locks and brook trout.
probably 60 minutes west, in Island Falls close to i95. 11 miles from Patten.
I didn't fish the past 10 years and didn't give it much thought when we moved here but it looks good .

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Jonesg--

You're in a great spot for brookie and LL fishing! And, you definitely should consider taking hatch up on the invitation to check out his place. It's great territory.

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

Jonesg wrote:
hatch wrote:
03/06/21 08:39
probably 60 minutes west, in Island Falls close to i95. 11 miles from Patten.
I didn't fish the past 10 years and didn't give it much thought when we moved here but it looks good .
I grew up in Patten. The access to the East Branch has changed a lot. You used to be able to drive down the park side of it to about Grand Pitch. Now I’m not sure.

The East Branch is pretty good fishing but there’s other spots around depending on what type of fishing you like to do.

If you have any questions, let me know. Also, if you haven’t checked out Alvin Theriaults fly shop on Rt 11 right at the Patten/Stacyville line, you’re doing yourself a great injustice. Alvin can help you with all your local fishing needs and tell you a few stories to boot!!

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photoguy
Sport

Post by photoguy »

The Moosehead Lake area also offers some good fishing. The east Outlet of the Kennebec and the Roach River are favorites of mine.

Jonesg

Post by Jonesg »

I'm trying to stay local until I get more work done on my car, then I'll go further,
I always wanted to fish the rapid but didn't know about the access trail, I'd like to at least go see it , walking is becoming an issue with a heart condition. Does anyone know if its level enough for a bike.?

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

Island Falls Home of Teddy Roosevelt's guide and Mentor Bill Sewall.

Best way to the Rapid River is a Boat Ride for us old guys

Jonesg

Post by Jonesg »

Jcrouse wrote:
03/07/21 20:05

The East Branch is pretty good fishing but there’s other spots around depending on what type of fishing you like to do.

If you have any questions, let me know. Also, if you haven’t checked out Alvin Theriaults fly shop on Rt 11 right at the Patten/Stacyville line, you’re doing yourself a great injustice. Alvin can help you with all your local fishing needs and tell you a few stories to boot!!

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Doctor is in Patten, I'm somewhat familiar with it.
I saw the website for the fly shop on rt 11. I'll swing by next time I'm nearby.
I think the east branch will be my cup of tea, I just need to buy some cheapo waders first.

Havana
Sport

Post by Havana »

Welcome and congrats, there's great brookie fishing all through ME, and bass if you're so inclined. You might consider a kayak or belly boat to hit the ponds, as well!
Some days I fish, the rest are wasted

Return to “Members Corner”