New member here, I have a question

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

GolfingFisherman

New member here, I have a question

Post by GolfingFisherman »

I am someone who has long felt there is a romance to fly fishing. I have been a pedestrian fisherman most of my life (never fly fishing) with other sports and parenthood taking up most of my time. I joined this forum for two reasons.

1- I have come across a couple of fly poles that I am told may have some value to people who collect vintage or older fly rods. I sent some pictures to someone who online defined himself as being informed and he thought for sure the one rod did have some value. He advised me to join this forum to see what that value may be and maybe find people who would be interested in acquiring it.

2- I want to learn. I am committed to getting into fly fishing and wanted to come to a place where I can gain knowledge.

So if anyone can advise me on how/where to put information about these two older rods I came across (while helping to clear out my mothers' basement. A long-time friend of hers was a serious fisherman and gave her the poles) I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

hatch
Master Guide

Re: New member here, I have a question

Post by hatch »

Golfingfisherman- welcome. If your rods are bamboo or wooden you are at the right place. Post pictures in the appraisals and Identification section. focus on reel seat( where the reel attaches to the rod) just above the grip (winding check) the joints where the rod is put together (ferrules) If they are fiberglass rods there are fiberglass sites that could help you more. good luck

GolfingFisherman

Hatch,

Thank you for the feedback. I am not the most tech savvy guy but I will work on it and get them posted!

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

GolfingFisherman, I'm sure you understand that to identify a rod maker and appraise a rods value knowledgeable people on this board will need to see the rod. I know posting pictures can be a pain. Answering the following questions may save you the trouble of posting pictures. For starters, do the rods have anything written on them? Usually the writing is on the rod just above the grip. Sometimes there is a maker name stamped in the metal of the reel seat, (if the reel seat is metal). Depending on any information you can give concerning the rod being labeled it may not be necessary to produce pictures. The vast majority of bamboo rods were built in a production line setting and, even though they may be very nice rods (there now I've covered my butt) they don't hold a great value. In general fly rods have a little more value than bait or trolling rods. Usually a bamboo fly rod has 3 sections- Butt or handle section, mid ,middle section, and tip section. Most cane rods were made with 2 tips. When the rod is apart stand all these sections together on a table. They should be the same length. If they are not the same length it usually means the short sections have been broken at some point. This hurts value. Some rods are 2 piece - a handle and tip section. How does the finish look? Are any guides missing? Do the pieces fit together snuggly? Shorter length rods 7'- 7.5'- 8'- usually demand better prices than more common 8.5' and 9' rods. How long are your rods when assembled?
Depending on how these questions are answered you may save yourself the trouble of posting pictures. You say the rods belonged to a "serious" fisherman. Was he a wealthy serious fisherman? I consider myself a serious fly fisherman but no one will fight over my rods when I'm gone.
You may have a gold mine there but don't sign the Harvard acceptance papers for your kid just yet.
Posting answers to these questions may get you started towards identification and appraisal of your rods. Good luck.

GolfingFisherman

Hatch, I cannot thank you enough for the reply and correspondence. I took the one rod to the local sports outfitter store where they have a guy who is passionate about fly fishing (he is fun to talk to because he will go on for hours about the details and nuances). He said the one rod from "South Bend" likely would have value to people into this kind of thing. This rod has 1 tips and a burlap-type sack to carry them in sections though the sack is very worn. He gave them to my mother years ago as a gift for posing for pics for some magazine piece he did. That is my understanding or how the story goes haha. To be fair, I am not in any way expecting a gold mine but if I could find someone who would appreciate this or both rods and I could sell them and put those resources toward my own fly fishing kit and equipment or my young son's junior golf aspirations I would be thrilled. As a matter of fact, I am headed to caddy for my kid in a junior golf tournament. Here are some images. Not sure if they are helpful. I do not have thereels (that I have found at least yet in my mothers basement).

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

The last two pictures are of a fiberglass fly rod. You might get more accurate information by visiting a fiberglass fly rod site. (don't expect much) The Southbend rod is a 9' and you only show the butt and one tip section. If this is the whole rod then you have a parts rod only. The parts only have value to someone who needs these pieces. Sorry , don't expect much here either.

GolfingFisherman

I have the whole rod for South Bend. I can take more pictures. Thanks for the tip on the fiberglass one!

GolfingFisherman

I also have the extra tip. It has two tips

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Assuming the South Bend 9" rod is in good shape , no short pieces, good finish, Maybe $100. to $125 to the right buyer. You can try to sell it on the "classified " section of this board.

Return to “Members Corner”