Greetings

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

roothog

Greetings

Post by roothog »

Well it's that time in life where I can fully get back into the passions that have lived deep inside me (hunting and fishing). Kids have moved on and work schedule is more controllable, so it's time to get my waders back on! I've fly fished since a teen yet have not had the time or location to fully engage in it - that is changing. My main reason to reach out to this forum that I've had a bamboo rod (Phillipson) in my closet for years and never fished it. Additionally, I just acquired a 9' Leonard Tourny 4.75 oz rod (still trying to date, but around 1920's) and need this group to tell me to not save them and FISH THEM.

Life is too short and I'm truly enjoying fishing vintage equipment now, rather than saving it for my kids. Tell me this is the correct choice, especially with the Leonard. Also, I could use advice on what reel/line to pair this rod with. It is a little longer than what I typically prefer, yet when I found it locally I had to make the plunge. I fish the rivers in the MI UP.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Roothog

tyghguy
Guide

Re: Greetings

Post by tyghguy »

Welcome to the forum. I think you should fish both rods absolutely. I have a similar vintage Leonard that I fish on occasion and really enjoy the slow casting pace of the rod. Have landed some strong trout on it. I pair it with a Hardy 3 5/8 reel. I am a fairly new member and really enjoy the forum. Lots of good info here. Enjoy

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers.
Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Welcome to the forum. Tell us more about the waters available to you and the length and model of the Phillipson. Tere are many Phillipson and Leonard posts on this forum and the search function will keep you occupied for hours.

Cheers,
Joe

roothog

Post by roothog »

Thanks for all the welcome greetings.

The Phillipson is a 8 1/2' 3/2 Power Pakt at 4.9oz (figure it is the 5oz model). Rod is almost brand new, actually not sure how many times if at all it was fished. A rafter find in a family cottage we purcahsed many years ago and just sat in the back of my closet.

The HL is 9' 3/2 Tournement at 4.7oz. Needs some TLC but all complete except for the spare tip that is 1.5" shorter - but looks to be factory repaired. Still trying to find the build year window as the tag is not readable. Second number of the model may be a 3,5,or 8. Butt reads "The H.L. Leonard Rod Leonard & Mills maker". I may fish the shorter tip just in case to start with.

I fish the steams and rivers in the MI UP (rainbow, brown and brook mainly 4/5/6 and switch to 8/9 for the fall salmon run.

I've been casting older spin reels for walleye, pike and bass this summer and looking forward to using this vintage fly equipment for trout. I'll be reading posts to find what people are using for reels. Not sure if everyone likes to match up with a similiar aged reel as their rods. Also, line recommendations.

Thanks to all-

Return to “Members Corner”