Hello from the UK

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Smudger0253

Hello from the UK

Post by Smudger0253 »

I have fished since I was a small boy but am fast becoming an Old Man (according to my kids) I love old fishing tackle both reels and rods and have restored a few cane rods in the past. I also collect old books on field sports. I don't do as much fishing as I used to most of my time is spent shooting accompanied by one of my dogs. I was given some old split cane rods by my late father-in-law and it is one of those that I am here to find out more about and whether its worth restoring. So I will be posting shortly questions and photos. Many thanks for allowing me to join

sodbank
Master Guide

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by sodbank »

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Welcome! Looking forward to pics of the rod.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Welcome aboard from Steve in Seattle!

Smudger0253

Post by Smudger0253 »

Hi I have an HL Leonard rod which I am considering restoring but would like to know whether it’s worth having it done professionally or just doing it myself. It has Pat 31 May 1880 stamped on the locking reel seat and a well worn makers mark. It needs stripping back completely as someone in the past has painted over the split-cane. I have attached some photos and would appreciate your advice. It is 3 piece with a spare top unfortunately the 2nd top is missing a couple of inches. It has a locking reel seat. One top section has stand off eyes the other (the complete one) has small brass rings. Overall length is approx 14ft Butt is 58" middle 56.5" top 52.5". I was thinking it may have been a salmon rod given the locking reel seat and double handed butt? Thanks in advance for any input

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers.
Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Smudger,

Are you on the UK Fly Fishing Forum as well?

Wamfess

Post by Wamfess »

Have you thought about restoring it yourself. If it is a valuable rod by all means pay a professional restorer if you can afford it. I am presently restoring am Eaton and Deller rod dated 1860. It was in terrible condition and actually found in amongst some rods he bought in a job lot on ebay. I noticed the engraving on the butt section and researched it and thought I should at least give it a go. I have restored five rods previously (4 spit cane,1 fibreglass). I am self taught mainly from watching videos on YouTube and reading up on stuff. You will get plenty of advice from the Forum.
The satisfaction gained from completing a rod is imense and I would encourage anyone to give it a go. Buy some cheap old rods to practice on and hey ho you never know.

Return to “Members Corner”