Thank you!

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

mhill

Thank you!

Post by mhill »

I don't know where else to post this, and if not in the correct place feel free to move it.

I mean this from the bottom of my heart – Thank you!

As one not having been fortunate enough to have been born or relocated to some of the more beautiful and more trout-worthy places on earth as so many of you are – I again say thank you. Not complaining about my part of the world, but it is rather limiting. I live vicariously through you all (y’all for you in the know). Trout fishing near here has become a sort of full contact sport with all the inebriated tubers and kayakers also using our main river. The other river is now being managed a little differently because of some threatened species of mussel and little fishies so the trout holding part is far less than it used to be and the result is crowded conditions because of less river mileage, limited access, and due to more fishers not going to our main river but this one. Keep in mind these rivers are not trout rivers, but Southern tailwaters that hold trout.

Right now, I have very few people in my acquaintance that fly fish or have any interest in classic rods, reels and methods of fishing. They have mainly passed or moved away. Unfortunately, most fly fishers I have been around of late seem to be more interested in rods that can cast 300’, colors of the shirt they wear to the river and the bourbon they put in their flask – among many other insignificant (to me) things. The goal seems to be to catch as many fish as you can, as big as you can, while spending as much money as you can so you can brag about how much money you spend. Just about everybody I used to have meaningful fly fishing and fly rod conversations with are now buried. But I am trying to stir up some more interest. And I’m not all that old – however, I did officially turn to an old man 3 months ago with my 65th – but still working because they moved my full retirement benefits to almost 68.

About 15 years ago, I was driven to learn to make a bamboo fly rod. I started acquiring tools and culms and looking for a mentor or instructor. About that same time, my wife decided to go back to college for another degree, so I had to put that off for a few years. Then my job got a little more complicated and had to put all the building on the back burner. A couple of years ago, my job became less demanding of my time and was able to look again for guidance/lessons, but then the covid hit. So I’m back to wanting to self-teach. Wish me luck!

Again, (I was taught to make my point 3 times by some of the early CNN reporters) I want to say thank you, and that your comments and posts do help me live vicariously through your silk lines, fine bamboo rods on classic rivers casting dry flies to rising fish.
Life's a party and I'm the pinata!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Thank you!

Post by headwaters »

This is unsolicited advice, but -- if you haven't already done it -- you may want to search "Harry Boyd" (canerodscom on this Forum) as you begin this long-delayed adventure!

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Amen brother, we hear you. Sorry your rivers are reduced to "combat fishing" but alas that is everywhere in varying degrees. There are a number of rod builders out there who offer classes, so you might want to check that out for guidance. A fine friend has now made three rods via the Catskill class, held in late summer at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum in Livingston Manor, NY (cffcm.com). It seems I ran across information on a southern rodmaker who offers classes too, Georgia perhaps or North Carolina. I believe Jeff Wagner in Ohio still teaches too. Chances are there is someone on this forum who has some experience with various instructors if you inquire.

There is a list of makers and other info on a Danish gentleman's site www.splitcaneinfo.com that may be helpful and entertaining.

Good luck in your quest!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks guys for the kind words. mhill if I can help you just let me know. My apologies for my brevity but I’m tied up with a class this week.

Harry Boyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theronmad

Post by theronmad »

it's definitelly great for you, my congrats

NshTrtBum
Sport

Post by NshTrtBum »

Hey Mike, I was usually on the water when you were @CT, but you're right we've lost quite a few folks here in middle Tennessee. I'm heading up to @GSMNP this weekend to checkout the park I'll give you an update on conditions. I think there's a guy over there that builds and likely could share some knowledge I'll PM the link.

...as Monty Python said "I'm not dead yet!"

Return to “Members Corner”