A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Wamfess

Post by Wamfess »

I am recently retired and decided I now have the time to restore a number of old split cane and greenhart fishing rods.
I am reasonably happy with my first attempts but have made a lot of schoolboy errors along the way. I realise now that there is a of research and skill not to mention patience involved in this hobby.
However there is also so much pleasure and satisfaction when that final coat of varnish is applied.
I am looking for tips and advice especially with research to bring these rods to the best condition possible.
I have an Eaton & Deller rod in very poor condition and a J. Warner and sons dated 1898 which I am about to start restoring. I can't find any info or specifications for either.
Can anyone suggest where I could find this sort of info.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New member

Post by headwaters »

Welcome! Lots of folks with knowledge here that can likely help you in your particular niche: e.g. Tom Kerr, Jeff Knapp, Joel Hughes, Bruce Handley.
And, if you haven't already done it, you might check out A J Campbell's book for a clue or two on who might have made your Eaton & Deller rod.

Wamfess

Post by Wamfess »

Thanks, the A.J. Campbell books look like a great read. I didn't know about them. I am on the hunt for copies.

Wamfess

Post by Wamfess »

It would appear there is only one book by A.J. Campbell.
I found a hardback copy on ebay plus a book by Silvio Calabi and I am looking forward to reading them. Thanks again, it's a good start.

Wamfess

Re: Cork Handle

Post by Wamfess »

This is an Eaton and Deller rod from around 1890. The cork handle was rotten so was removed. The handle section has a metal rod of 2mm running along its length. The handle is of a spliced and formed method I have not seen before. The cork was around 6mm thickness following the shaped cane part of the handle which is 20mm with a front tapered end. I am wondering how I can replace it. None of the standard replacement corks I have seen would suit. I am a relative novice at restoration but enjoying the challenge. Does anyone know how this is done or can anyone suggest how to could be done.

bellbird
Master Guide

Post by bellbird »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy. Cheers.
Earl
....with the hope a fish will rise.

Wamfess

Post by Wamfess »

Thanks Earl, already hooked and enjoying some brilliant banter.

Return to “Members Corner”