Occupation & Location?

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

chrisfromcanada
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by chrisfromcanada »

Thanks for the welcome !

I have heard of that builder, but have never really investigated what kind of fly flingers he makes. I will have to look into it.

Take care,
chris

Madcity

Occupation & Location?

Post by Madcity »

Just retired from the rat race of sales/consulting. Based near Madison, WI.  Lots of wonderful small streams to explore with the SB Cross 1500 that I just bought.  Can't wait to experience all the great things I have been reading about here on the board.

iank1144
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by iank1144 »

Hi folks A New Zealand rodmaker and fishing tackle collector/restorer here. I have been collecting for 25 years and making cane rods for around 15 years although various other duties , work and kids mainly, have restricted my production over the years. Now I am semi retired I am looking forward to more rods and more fishing ahead, and collating my fishing tackle collection more accurately.  Anyone heading down this way should feel to contact me and I may be able to show you some spots on local rivers.
cheers
Ian Kearney

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by firehole »

Hi Ian,

North Island or South? I've fished over 100 days in the Hokitika area over the years. Welcome to the madness.

Cheers,

Dennis

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by ffftroutbum »

Hi folks.  I have been living Missoula, Montana for about a year and a half now.  I am an internal auditor for a bank holding company.  The banking gig is a new thing for me as I used to work in industry.  Before moving to Missoula, I lived in Bozeman, Montana for about eight years and worked as the financial controller for Simms Fishing Products.  I like Missoula much better than Bozeman, but it is further away from Yellowstone Park and the Henry's Fork.

flatsneck

Occupation & Location?

Post by flatsneck »

Hell Everyone, New Here, and my first post.
I am a retired early engineer and avid custom rod builder and wood fly rod handle turner.
I have been building rods for about 20 years, and turning custom handles for about 12 years.
Born and raised in Key West Florida, now residing in Gilbert Arizona.
I have my own site dedicated to wood Fly Rod handles at www.saltriverwoodcraft.com,
 Hopefully I can add my knowledge to this fine forrum.
Last edited by flatsneck on 04/29/11 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

reidrods
Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by reidrods »

Hello All,

New here also, and this is my first post. Some of you might know me as Willis - as in Kim And Willis.

You have an amazing resource with this site. You should be proud. I hope I can contribute.

MFRS
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by MFRS »

Hi Guys, been here a while and am now an Env. Technologist living in Nanaimo, BC.  I will be doing some fishing by mid summer so if you are local and interested in having a fishing partner contact me.  I will try to start fishing with boo exclusively, eventually.
Gary

stanbiker

Occupation & Location?

Post by stanbiker »

Hi everyone,

Just joined yesterday. I'm an accountant, and I live in Alaska. Really ready for the ice to leave!

Stan

57Clemson
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by 57Clemson »

Hi folks. No one has replied here in a year. Where the heck have I been?.My name is Dave Wallace and I live in Piedmont SC. I have been flyfishing using my own flies for over 30 years.I got my first bamboo rod as an anniversary gift and have been making bamboo rods for over 10 years.I am retired and made my living as a headhunter.I have been married for 53 years to a great gal and have 4 sons.In October I will be 73. In July I hope to meet Tom Morgan and Firehole In Montana.Life is good..

hsweren

Occupation & Location?

Post by hsweren »

I am a club manager of a Country Club in Western Massachusetts in the Beautiful Berkshires. The East Branch of the Housatonic River runs right through the golf course, which is part of the reason why I work there. I have been a big Orvis fan since the early 1990's. Started using Bamboo rods in the late 90's and now that is all I use. Tie my own flies during the long winters. I do a little Steelhead fishing on the Lake Erie creeks in late November early December.  

KatoomRXC
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by KatoomRXC »

It sounds like you've really figured out how to combine work and pleasure!  Hopefully golf and club management doesn't cut too much into your fishing time.

I gather you use bamboo for steelhead.  What do you use?  I'd like to give it a try, but so far have only felt comfortable with bamboo up to porkers from the upper Missouri's tailwaters. Experiences or recommendations?

Dan

hsweren

Occupation & Location?

Post by hsweren »

ImageImageHi Dan,

I found this great 9 1/2 foot Montague rod on ebay with 2 tips and an attachable fighting butt for $180 dollars. I have 2 reels that I use with it, a Walker Bampton (looks similar to a Hardy St. John) and a Farlow Cobra wide drum both with eight weight lines. There is no inscription on the rod just the Montague title on the rubber fighting butt. Best rod I have ever used for steelhead. Good quality vintage reels also make it easier to get those Hogs in. In the fall I tie a bunch of Emerald Shiner streamers, pink crystal meth, and small black stone fly nymphs. They all seem to do the trick depending on the flow of the creeks.
Last edited by hsweren on 05/13/11 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

Caneyscud

Occupation & Location?

Post by Caneyscud »

Unfortunately, God did not place me in some fly fishing mecca - He probably knew better than to do that!.  Not a bad area, but nothing like what you might dream about.  I live in Nashville, and have a very uninspiring job - Senior Estimator for a local General Contractor.  I hope to become more active with building and repairing 'boo and more active on this forum.  When one of the guys wants a Saturday off, I get to work at one of our local fly shops - and to top that off - they actually pay me!  
Last edited by Caneyscud on 05/26/11 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Ken

Occupation & Location?

Post by Ken »

I'm in Bigfork, Montana,  about 30 minutes south of Glacier Nat'l Park.  I'm surrounded by stunning beauty and fair to good trout fishing.  I'm semi- retired and consult for one of the local hospitals on IT related topics.  I fish at least once a week, usually much more.  I'm absolutely stricken with Steelhead fever and have been for the last 6 years and I spend a lot of time fly fishing for steelhead every year as well which gets me some travel.  I'm really blessed with a great wife, a great place to live and thankfully I woke up and retreated from the corporate culture of death before it was too late.

kc

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by firehole »

Welcome Kenn
Spent many days in the Bigfork/Swan Valley area fishing & playing golf. The Swan Valley just to your south is one of most scenic valleys in all of Montana. The lakes have fabulous cutt fishing and Swan River was dynamite in the 80' and early 90's for bows and bulls. In less than three months I'll pass thru your area for 7 days in the " Bob " to begin my bucket list to relive memories past. Have you been into the " Bob "?
You're in paradise.
Enjoy!!!
Dennis
Last edited by firehole on 05/29/11 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

Ken

Occupation & Location?

Post by Ken »

firehole wrote:Welcome Kenn
Spent many days in the Bigfork/Swan Valley area fishing & playing golf. The Swan Valley just to your south is one of most scenic valleys in all of Montana. The lakes have fabulous cutt fishing and Swan River was dynamite in the 80' and early 90's for bows and bulls. In less than three months I'll pass thru your area for 7 days in the " Bob " to begin my bucket list to relive memories past. Have you been into the " Bob "?
You're in paradise.
Enjoy!!!
Dennis
The Bob, the Swan and the Mission ranges are my own persona playground.  Really an awesome place to live.  The Swan is nothing like you remember it sadly.  Lake trout in Swan lake have destroyed the cutt fishing....

dustin mudd
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by dustin mudd »

hi all, new member living in southwest Montana, Bozeman. New to bamboo, but long time flyfisher since the early 1970's. Still not very good, but love the time away from work.

I am a manufactuer's rep. selling foodservice cooking and refrigeration in Montana , Idaho, and Wyoming . Dustin Mudd

rockcreek
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by rockcreek »

"dustin mudd"

Welcome to the madness!

Brookie Brian

Occupation & Location?

Post by Brookie Brian »

Hey all, I am a physician about to finish my training and start my big kid job at a medical center in Richmond, VA. I love fishing the brook trout streams of the Shenandoah National Park and the Virginia highlands as well as the spring creeks in the valley. Now that training is finally over I hope to be able to get out and fish more, though my newborn twins may have something to say about that.

I've been bumming around this site for a few years now but this is my first post. My father got me interested in bamboo rods and I've been pouring over the internet and tried a few rods out. Through it all I've become enamored with the work of one bamboo rod building gnome. I just love the craftsmanship and the woodwork. More to come on that...
Brian S

Return to “Members Corner”