Planing Forms in progress

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

L Swearingen
Sport

Re: Planing Forms in progress

Post by L Swearingen »

I picked up my latest 10 assembled Planing Form Blanks from the Machine shop that does
my Surface Grinding of the two Faces.
Now on to milling the V-Grooves etc.

Larry Swearingen
http://planingforms.webs.com

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

3creeks wrote:I keep my forms in PVC pipes capped off and with a few silica packets inside to keep the rust away. I live near the ocean and we had a very wet winter, yet no real rust issues developed as they sat for several months in my outdoor space. I don't put anything on mine.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

I live walking distance from the ocean. (about a 5 min walk) so I completely understand the need to keep tools dry.
My wife works in a retail sporting goods store. The amount of silica packets she brings home to me is unbelievable. They come in everything. I must have 40 pounds of them in a garbage bag in the corner of my shop.
So I also store my forms with a whack load of silica packs.

Adamsdry wrote:Mike, FWIW,
I just took my planing forms out of the box yesterday.
They wintered in the original shipping box, (it also serves as a form ramp), and were stored in an unheated New England basement. Yep, cold and damp.
Prior to storage I laid waxed paper in the box, oiled the bolts with 3-in-1, and sprayed the forms with Boeshield T-9...
Thanks Adamsdry.

I store mine in the original shipping box also. I think
Larry put time and effort into building a solid box... why waste it.
Like you, I hit the push/pull screws with a drop of 3-in-one. Then wrap the original oiled up shrink wrap around them again. Then stuff as many silica packs in there as I can.

L Swearingen wrote:Hello,
Mike: I use a light coat of Boeshield T9 when I ship a Planing Form.
As far as I know it has worked fine. But you should remove any oil
from the V-Groove before doing any planning of strips. You don't want to try
to glue any oil contaminated surfaces.
Maintenance of flat surfaces : It doesn't take much at all. Just take a fine
tooth Flat File or a medium bench stone and lightly go over the surface to take
off any burrs that were kicked up by the sharp plane iron hitting the bars.
Please don't try to remove all evidence of nicks...
Larry Swearingen
Thank you so much Larry.

I am also extremely satisfied with the quality and workmanship of your forms Larry. So glad I decided to make the purchase instead of trying to make my own. Good to hear you have more coming for new/current makers.
I’ll try to find some of that Boeshield T9.
I’m diligent in the removal of any oil from the forms prior to any planing. I wipe them down with methyl hydrate when I take them out of the shrink wrap. I will remove burrs only, and with a very gentle touch.

It’s amazing to think that someone has worn out a set of your forms! That’s a lot of planing. It’s kind of neat to know that it was a local to me also.

Thanks so much to every for the reply to my question.

Mike.
Just a guy, trying to build a tool.

L Swearingen
Sport

Post by L Swearingen »

OK, here we go again ! The latest Batch of 10 Planing Forms back from Surface Grinding and ready to
start roughing out the V-Groove.
Larry Swearingen

L Swearingen
Sport

Post by L Swearingen »

I got my Form blanks back from the Surface grinder and have been rough milling the 60 deg. v-grooves
then finish filing the v-grooves to final depth and finish.
I have a couple of Planing Forms finished and ready to ship now.
Will have to make a trip for lumber and plywood to make up the shipping containers that I use.
1/2" Ply bottoms with 3/4" solid wood sides glued and stapled to the bottom. Planing Form is wrapped
in shrink fit plastic and fitted into the box with 1/8" foam wrapped around it for cushioning. Then 1/2" ply top
is screwed down to sides. The Form is snuggly fitted to the box so it can't shift during shipping.
on edit: Actually the Box is snuggly fitted to the Form. :>)
Also the whole has 3 wraps of shipping tape to hold it together if anything untoward happens.
Really not much can go wrong with 3/4" x 1 1/2" steel surrounded by foam , plastic wrap and solid and ply wood.
Larry Swearingen

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

L Swearingen wrote:
07/01/20 14:22
Really not much can go wrong with 3/4" x 1 1/2" steel surrounded by foam , plastic wrap and solid and ply wood.
Well..... a carrier person can drop on on his or her toes... ;-) I had the UPS-man complain about the weight of the package when my forms were delivered a couple of years ago.

L Swearingen
Sport

Post by L Swearingen »

Well Henk, there's not much I can do about that other than put Handles on the thing.
But I would imagine that handles would interfere with the box moving along on the
conveyor belt.
Larry Swearingen

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”