Reel Plans Available

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

dave49
Guide

Reel Plans Available

Post by dave49 »

A set of plans is now available for two versions of essentially the same reel.  These are the two versions:
These are trout reels, suitable for 4/5 weight line.  Drag is by ratchet and pawl.

Construction requires at least a "tabletop" mill and lathe.  You can get the plans at http://eclecticangler.com/ by following the categories to Kits, Materials, and Books -- Books and Plans, then look for "Round and Raised Pillar Reel Plans".

So that you know what you can get, I have posted low resolution prints on my blog, http://northbranchreels.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/reel-plans/.  Here you will also find the text of the construction notes.

Here are a couple of prints from the set.

Last edited by dave49 on 12/30/19 20:54, edited 2 times in total.

mhackney
Master Guide

Reel Plans Available

Post by mhackney »

Dave has done a great job drawing and documenting his reels and I'm delighted that he is making them available. I own one of Dave's raised pillar reels (#15) and it is wonderfully designed and machined. Dave does his work on a manually operated Sherline lathe and mill and the results are professional.
In addition to the reel drawings, Dave also includes plans for his crank and foot fixtures. The foot fixture is very interesting and results in a cylindrical rather than conical curvature to the top surface of the foot. The construction notes also describe how to use a rotary table to make the crank and raised pillar ears.

A direct link to the plans is: Round and Raised Pillar Reel Plans to make it a little easier to find.
cheers,Michael
Reelsmith, Author & Publisher
Image Image

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Reel Plans Available

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

- This is a very interesting 10 year old post -

I have yet to handle one of these reels... anyone get a chance ?

Excellent idea on the machining of the feet, sure would like to see that.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

dave49
Guide

Post by dave49 »

Brian,
I will be interested to see if the moderator moves this to another forum. This forum is meant for those who have a product or service to advertise. My only service is the blog https://northbranchreels.com/ that I have produced to help other who would like to machine their own fly reel. He cannot move it to "Rod Making, Restoration, Repairs" because it is about reels. "Classic Reels" may not be right because it is about DIY reels, and I often resort to materials not available to the reel makers of yore.
The blog has a lot to say about machining reel feet, be sure to see https://northbranchreels.com/2016/07/24 ... the-lathe/.
I would be glad to let you handle my several reel designs, but Branson MO is a long way off. Stop by if you visit NM some day.
Regards,
Dave

Mayoroco

Post by Mayoroco »

I recently bought one of Dave’s reels and it’s fantastic. Pretty sure it’s pictured on Dave’s blog. It’s the No.17 reel. Raised pillar, all aluminum body. Tight tolerances and smooth operation. It’s a great match for my 4 and 5 wt. bamboo rods. Dave is a great guy on top of that and his love of creating these reels is evident when you talk to him.
Uncle Dave

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”