"Wading Along the banks of time, Stick in hand" DVD

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: "Wading Along the banks of time, Stick in hand" DVD

Post by RMorrison »

And I thought we’d had a breakthrough!
I don’t even own an axe. Maybe I can find one on eBay?

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Who needs ebay when you have a personal promotion and sales forum?
Mods,why not just sticky this so new posts won't be needed to keep on top?
Save some bandwith.
"Solicitation and Spamming - Do not use this forum as a vehicle to advertise items for sale or commercial services."
R, I've got an axe I'll send along if you like.
Wonderful work apparently but should have been posted in Classifieds and handled via PM, he said knowing the danger of saying so.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Funny the rules state that I can not have a thread with replies on it in the classifieds and I was also told in no uncertain terms that this was the only place I could discuss this by TITELINES.

if you have a problem with this please take it up with Mark,

And stop stalking me steeliefool, if you have something of historical value related to this project post away otherwise it is nothing but an attack on me and attempt to sidetrack this thread and also an attempt to get me riled up to the point I make a post that will get this thread shut down.

I do not reply to anything you write!!! can you give me the same courtesy?? obviously NOT!!

If my post have anything that you question it is an automatic snide attack at me. I was excited about adding another rod to the collection and you and Morrison have done nothing but poo poo it and make a spectacle where one should not have been. All because of a joke between me and some friends here.

Have either of youy two made available a collection in the way I have done?? NOPE and until you walk a mile in the gnomes boots I must ask respectfully that you two please do not reply to my post it always ends up as a snide shot.

and here are a couple of quotes that should put this to rest starting with the header of this forum
Rod and Reel Makers Forum
A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Harassment - We will not tolerate insults, attacks, threats, and/or denigration from any member on another member or a member of staff at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about any topic to a personal level. Name calling, repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member, flaming, or slanderous posts are not acceptable.

rules state it very clearly that I can advertise my products in this part of the forum and here is the direct quote from Titelines;

"So nope, the only two places you can mention something like that are either the Classifieds Forum, or the Rod and Reel Makers forum, which is where you initially posted your DVD's."

That quote refers directly to this thread from one of the admin.

I suggest that you two and my other detractors take your problem with me up with the admin, I have done nothing wrong here, Just trying to further our collective knowledge and shame on me for getting excited about a new old rod and sharing that with my fellow anglers. And shame on me for making a joke amongst friends here because it opened me up to snide shots from my detractors here, >: >: >: >: >:
Last edited by Gnome on 03/09/20 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

I’d argue that I have made a collection available. It may not be a traveling collection of rods or a for profit DVD set, but I have collected a lot of what I (and I think others do as well) find to be valuable information regarding a specific area...The rods of the Powell family - http://www.classicpowellrod.com.

And I don’t find the eBay joke to be funny. I find it tiresome - particularly when there are many people here who think you can’t mention eBay who obviously weren’t in on this bit of humor. And so I try to counter it where I can. Much like the pig headed and self defeating pain this forum suffers regarding the discussion of glass and graphite. I point the stupidity in that out every chance I get as well.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

and here we have yet another post that has nothing to do with the GTRS and the DVD project, sidetrack well done and good for you on your sharing of the Powell knowledge why do you have to constantly berate me for doing the same I.E. sharing of knowledge. I will ask one more time please do not reply to my post unless you are not taking a snide shot at me I am tired of it.

we do agree on some things like the pigheadedness about glass and graphite.

Funny how anytime someone try's to make a living at this it is viewed by some as evil and you are doing it for money and thus you are a no good rotten something or other, if Hoagy was doing this would you berate him the way you do me. I doubt that you would or Per or many others

How about we get back to the main point of this thread which is my documentary about the history of fishing rods or is that too much to ask ???

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Gnome I’ve said nothing negative here about you, your project, or DVD. I certainly didn’t berate you. I simply took a shot at the old eBay as Valdemort joke. Which, as I explained, bothers me. That’s it.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Rich, sorry that offended you and I will not make that reference again.

And starting at the end of the week I will be shipping out the 4th set and I Have reworked the studio and will now be filming the rest of the Project in 4K ultra high definition (3840x2160) and when I finish the whole show I will go back and re film the first quarter which is in 1920x1080 HD, That will upgrade the first discs to the Ultra High definition of 4K those disc will come free to my subscribers.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I did take it up with admln/mods via the "report post" function along with my objections clearly spelled out. Sometime later, I was informed that my report was deleted with no explaination as to why. Apparently unconsidered?
I believe there is a difference between "discussion" and "sales" and this thread decidedly blurs the line. I don't see Per hawking his wears in this forum.
Last edited by steeliefool on 03/09/20 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

the header for this section spells it out quite clearly;

And 1 more post that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread!!!!!

Thanks

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Gnome wrote:the header for this section spells it out quite clearly;

The DVDs are a product I am offering and thus allowed by the rules of the forum and this section of the forum
And 1 more post that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread!!!!!

Thanks
and how about going back to the thread ??

Wading Along the Banks of time stick in hand. For a forum dedicated to bamboo rods you would think that a project like this would be meet with open arms.

And as far as my selling the dvds the subscription was closed well over a month ago and I am no longer excepting subscriptions and with the time involved I might be making a dollar or two an hour, really getting rich at that rate, NOT!!!! But I am leaving a historical record that celebrates the work of A.J.Campbell and the rod makers from over a 200 year period and if you take anymore snide shots they are at A.J. as much as they are at me. This is a tribute to him.!!

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Gnome,
Will the rod be shown on one of the DVDs?
My wife (a 2 or 3 times year fly fisher) and I both are enjoying the GTRS discs and usually has some questions that end up with us going back and re-watching a segment. The effort that you put into this project really pays off and we both are looking forward to the rest of the show.
Gnome wrote:got a wild hair last night and decided to "wander along the banks of time" in the antique rod listings on the site we must not mention and lo and behold there was a rod that fills a hole in the GTRS :eek not in the greatest shape but a fair example of a rod by Will Cruttenden. She has the 1873 McHarg reel seat patent. YEEHAW!!! one more name off of the Campbell List and it will have an honored home in the GTRS 8-) :wave :wave ;) It grows like an amoeba :eek
Walt

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Jeff - I also want to chime in here with how much I appreciate what you are doing. The quality of the discs just keeps getting better, and the information they contain will constitute an important historical record going forward.
In the past, your efforts at displaying and explaining your collection at shows and gatherings touched a lot of people and kindled a lot of interest. This effort is even more enlightening and far reaching. My copy of this will eventually go into a museum collection.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Walt,

the reach in time from 1870-1900 in the GTRS covers a large portion of the display and as I am filming I am reworking and adding to the display and the Cruttenden will be filmed and installed into the display as soon as it arrives, I am excited about it and even more happy that you are enjoying my efforts at this and your wife watching with you is awesome!! there are points in the display especially for the ladies like the Maria Ustonson rod and a few other wee surprises coming;-)

The Cruttenden rod makes 2 of the 3 obscure rod makers from New York covered by A.J. on page #91 of his book, Have a Syracuse Fish rod co example coming up for filming and the one missing is a W L Hoskins anybody have one??

Tom, I am honored by your words and many thanks, you have been a huge help and encouragement on this, Onward goes the gnome !!! this will be a pretty unique look at our favorite tool / toy by the time I get done with it. And as it states on the back of the binder, This is dedicated to A.J.Campbell!! thanks to the Steppe Warrior for his efforts R.I.P. my friend I am doing my best to take your work forward.

And a huge thanks to Robert Smith for having my back like a true Bro!! Deeply appreciated and I will take your advice to heart! practicing it is hard but I need to do better for sure!! and I can do start and stop seamlessly now so technically the disc should take a pretty good step up and the 1/2/3 part videos will now be in one. The new camcorder's Owners Manual is right at 200 pages and will include a bit of a learning curve, very excited about filming it in 4K. And always learning.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Rob,

Thanks for the chuckle, needed one.

I am really excited about the step up in quality of the video with the new camcorder and so far I have run just a couple of test clips but they have been an extreme step up in quality from the 1980x1020 HD to the 4K. And adding in the old paper and ephemera it is allowing me to do the display on video in ways that I can not display it in public.

I Wish I could place an exact price on this but that is not possible until I have filmed the whole display, don't know how many 1 hour 4K disc there will be, an estimate is somewhere between 32 and 40 and it could easily end up with more than 40 hours in the documentary.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Michael,

Thanks and the project goes on, and I agree with you 1000% I am trying to leave a legacy piece and it seems to really upset some people to the point they can not read and understand the header of this section which states that I can advertise and sell my "PRODUCTS" from this section of the forum.

Hope all is well up there,

Jeff

And I am trying to keep this thread on track despite the efforts of other to sidetrack it. And I bet that other Authors of works about the history of fly fishing did not receive the constant grief about actually making or recouping some of the money they spend for their very extensive efforts at producing books and movies etc. that help to educate us about the history of the sport. And once again a collector is taken to task for sharing a recent acquisition. funny how collecting has earned an almost completely negative view here and yet this place would be but a small shadow of itself if it where not for the collectors. My Hat is off to all collectors!! This project is for you!!

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Thanks Jeff! I’ve got quite the Powell collection I can tell you that!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Rich, you are welcome and your collection of Powell's dwarfs the 1 Powell in the GTRS without a doubt!! That rod will be filmed in about a hundred rods from now. Have checked out your site good stuff!!

Onward and upward today I will refilm the Chubb clip, not happy with it and it will be the start of the 4K . Pretty excited about the step up in technical quality and capabilities that I have available to me now.

When done it truly will be a rod epic Directed by Cecil B Da Gnome ;-)

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Jeff what is the one Powell? How many Frank Wire rods are in there?

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Rich,

2 Wire rods 7' penta 2/2 and an 8' 3/2 hex a pretty rare stick,

The powell is one of the saddest Powells existing, an early pre patent 8'6" 2/2 but what makes it the saddest Powell is the fact that at some point in its life it experienced a major foo fah and it is now a 4/2 with all sections broken (6 in total now) and then re ferulled with Red Aluminum ferrules at the break points, a great example of what was done to keep a treasured rod on the water
The Markings are very simple and consist of;

Built for W Clum

E.C. Powell maker

No patent or pre patent marks makes this a really early one right??

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

The lack of patent number or semi-hollow wrap scheme (black and cream tipping at the hook keeper wrap) probably more likely indicate a solid built rod. EC did plenty of those as well. What reel seat and hook keeper are on it? I know Walt did use some red aluminum ferrules at one time on his glass rods. It’s possible he did the repair work.

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”