"Wading Along the banks of time, Stick in hand" DVD

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: "Wading Along the banks of time, Stick in hand" DVD

Post by Gnome »

Rich,

no Hook keeper and a Cap and ring seat wood insert no mortise in the insert, The work at the break sites is immaculate and with your thoughts leads me to believe that rod was repaired be EC?!!

Thank you!! the GTRS despite what many believe is a community project and would be but a shadow without people like your self.

humbly your gnome

Jeff

the wraps are brown tipped cream and black

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

My guess is it’s a solid built rod and that the repair work was done by Walton Powell, EC’s son. I don’t think EC would have used red aluminum ferrules and I know for a fact Walt did at one point. I’m going to take a wild ass guess and say it’s a 1930s rod and Walt repaired it in the late 40s/early 50s.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Thank you Rich!!!! that story board will be dead on thanks to you!!!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Rich,
I Very much enjoyed your website thanks for posting the link!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Whiteadder
Guide

Post by Whiteadder »

Had bit of a derailment at the start of the year, so I'm behind with my disks, but one and two have already shed a lot of light on the early rods in the Museum, pointing up a couple of missed three strip tips and a baleen tip on the two earliest rods I have.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the twelve hours of catching up I'll need to do!!!

Best

A
Please visit Whiteadder's Virtual Fly Fishing Museum
All welcome!!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Andy,

that makes me happy on a unique level. the project is doing what I hoped it would!!! Very cool it helped ID your oldest rods, Awesome!!! will pm you later with shipping for the binder and your catch up discs

Jeff

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Jeff,
Wondering if you might know what book or publishing might note a Clark as the first to make a section from split cane in England in 1805? Have been translating Ritz's, A la Mouche and in the chapter on rods he notes Phillipe and that the first recorded to use was a Clark in Britain who made three strip sections... I looked in Turner book and see a P. Clarke listed at 91 The Strand from 1805 - 1818. Is that him?

As always appreciate any info regarding.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

ahh more research to do!!! good questions and I have no answer ;-( Yet ;-)

I just listed 5 sets in the classifieds for anyone who wants to join the group "wading along the banks of time, stick in hand" binder and the first 8 disc and I have 5 extra sets ready to ship on my one day of going out to the PO this week.
EDIT:

DUE to the corona virus Colorado is under a 3 week stay at home order and so the march shipment will be delayed for 3 weeks and it will come with the April discs as well, sorry but I need to stay isolated to protect Dad and myself.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Was finally able to watch discs 3 through 5. Awesome! Even better than the first two. Can't wait for the following series of discs.
Mark

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Mark,
thanks and after the 11th of April I will send a multiple shipping of 4-6 discs to make up for the missed March shipment which is all setting here waiting to go to the PO, just hunkered down and trying to minimize outside contact with people to protect Dad and myself, thanks to all for your patience right now!!

humbly your gnome

Jeff

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Gnome wrote:ahh more research to do!!! good questions and I have no answer ;-( Yet ;-)

I just listed 5 sets in the classifieds for anyone who wants to join the group "wading along the banks of time, stick in hand" binder and the first 8 disc and I have 5 extra sets ready to ship on my one day of going out to the PO this week.
EDIT:

DUE to the corona virus Colorado is under a 3 week stay at home order and so the march shipment will be delayed for 3 weeks and it will come with the April discs as well, sorry but I need to stay isolated to protect Dad and myself.
Stay safe.
Walt

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Update!! stuck here at home doing my part to help stop and or prevent the spread of the covid, so I have my studio reworked and am averaging 5 to 10 rods filmed per day, by the end of April I fully expect to be done with the first go round with right at 200 rods filmed for the documentary, and Then I will refilm the first 56+ in the 4k format, to upgrade the first 8 discs. thanks for the patience !!!

Humbly your gnome

Jeff

Edit; and another case done and now it is time to film Uncle T in his new silks for the documentary, A huge thanks to Jerry G for allowing me to do the rod and also film it. Then it will be bite the bullet and head to the PO to get Uncle Thaddeus back home ASAP. After Jerry receives it I will post pictures of the rod maps and the rod after its restoration.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Thanks for the chat ... looking forward to the 4k edition
Uncle T!!!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

1st three hours filmed in 4K HD What a camcorder!!!, Making serious progress now!! WOOHOOO!!!! It takes about 3 hours to get thirty minutes of video with set up and digging out related ephemera etc..

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Just passed a milestone !! 100 rods filmed for the documentary :eek :wave :wave

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

just passed the turn onto the backstretch and headed for home, less than 50 to film, then the graphic arts portion and this part of the project is done then it will be time to consider whether or not I publish the rod maps.

adit; and as an aside, the Cruttendon rod that caused some here to have a fit has been filmed and hidden away in my parts pile where two near new full-length lancewood tips that were made by Mcharg and lo and behold they fit the mid to the point that they pop when separated, Just wrapped in different colors but they are a perfect match otherwise and I even fit a tip to a mid in the vignette and you can see it is a right proper fit.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Are you going to eventually ship the 3rd series of discs?
Mark

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

With no major mess-ups on my part, the entire documentary will ship by the end of the month still not sure of the entire total but my estimate of 28-35 discs is pretty close, less than 50 rods left to film and that part is done, then it will be "Burn Baby Burn"

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

the last 2 cases to be filmed in the next week, then I am finished with the filming, some of the classic and modern rods in the display are very traditional to extremely radical in build style. And to my subscribers, Thanks for your patience, the big package is about to be shipped.

I will ship the next few sets out on Monday, May 16th, not the whole works but a fair chunk for sure.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Shipping out disc #'s 7-#14 today (up to rod #101) and tomorrow and also after tomorrow I will be caught up in shipping and the next shipment will complete the entire set but it will take a month or so to finish it up and get it out.

A huge thanks for all of your patience while I do my best to Protect my dad by staying at home.

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”