Reel making workshop/class?

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

chrisallick

Reel making workshop/class?

Post by chrisallick »

Hi,
After fiddling with rod making, I attended a week long class at Bill Oyster's bamboo rod workshop. It was an incredible experience, and I've had fun in the shop, but my attention keeps coming back to making a reel.

Does anyone know of a class that takes students through making a reel? Or someone who would take a student for a week?

Thanks,
Chris

trland
Master Guide

Re: Reel making workshop/class?

Post by trland »

I don’t know of any but I’d be interested to hear what you find too.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

At one time Michael Hackney helped some folks make some very simple reels. Not sure if he’s still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisallick

Post by chrisallick »

canerodscom wrote:At one time Michael Hackney helped some folks make some very simple reels. Not sure if he’s still around.
I believe that kit is offered on Eclectic Angler. Saw that at a class at the bamboo maker convention in the Catskills. It's really cool. But, what I'm looking for is more on the bench lathe/mill 3 piece reel.

I should email them though...

stoneflyer
Master Guide

Post by stoneflyer »

I haven’t heard of anything like that. The following would make it difficult to do:

1. Machining can be dangerous, so a base level of machining skills would be necessary
2. Crashing a machine could be very expensive
3. Having multiple lathes and mills would be needed to teach a class and shop space and machines are limited
4. It is much harder than planning out a blank and I would not expect a newbie to be walking away with a reel after a week long class unless there was a one on one lesson with a lot of hand holding

If you can find a reel maker to show you the ropes that would be best.

Adam

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

I wonder how many people would be interested? Up front machinery cost is a bit spendy, but you can do it on the cheap....

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

I would travel a long distance to just watch and take notes ,definitely would love to take a class.

Boris
Master Guide

Post by Boris »

I'd be interested in taking a reel making course.

If 'd have to go to the US I'd try to make it during the fishing season so I could do some fishing there too.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

John, I don't have the lathe, v mill chops to do it but I'd sure pay to watch you crank one out.
I wonder if you could do a virtual reel manufacturing class, with users allowed to ask questions as you demonstrate tasks?

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

roycestearns wrote:John, I don't have the lathe, v mill chops to do it but I'd sure pay to watch you crank one out.
I wonder if you could do a virtual reel manufacturing class, with users allowed to ask questions as you demonstrate tasks?
Be cool! There are some out there on youtube that some people/manufacturers have put together. No very much detail, but still pretty cool to watch.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I would also very much like to be a part of this reel making class / student / teacher(s) idea...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

JimmyB11
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by JimmyB11 »

Sadly Richard Bradley who passed away not long ago offered a one on one "class' where you spend the time with him and watched and participated to a small degree in making the reel and then left with the reel.

Michael Hackneys class was more of a kit assembly deal where he had the parts and each student assembled the reel.

I have made a reel, there are plenty of challenges, not the least is creating the drawings and engineering principles to make sure it works once all the parts are made. It is not an organic process it is a semi rigid process of creating mating parts from different materials. As a hobbyist you would need to be comfortable with running a lathe and a mill and possess a reasonable understanding of metalworking methodology, tooling and measuring. You don't need to be a trained machinist for sure but you need to have spent time using and overcoming the challenges of making parts. Not a difficult project but a fussy one and VERY time consuming.

If someone wants to make a reel and has the tooling and equipment the best way is to chose a simple reel and copy it. This gives you dimensions for all parts and a fighting chance, find a reel with the simplest drag, best to buy a gear as opposed to making one, they are available. In all of this you gain a better appreciation of those who make bench made reels.

Lastly I have taught quite a few guys to make rods, with effort they can head home and make one on their own with a few stumbles, I don't think the same can be said for reel making.

Boris
Master Guide

Post by Boris »

I'm trying the next best thing. I'm doing a manual machinist, as opposed to CNC, course at the technical college where I work. I'm really enjoying it but I have a long way to go to be able make a simple reel.

A few pictures

tap wrench I'm making.

lkbamboo
Sport

Post by lkbamboo »

I am the Host of the Virutal Rodmakers Gathering (VRG) that we have once a month and I have access to someone who has made some beautiful reels in his shop.
So I will look into doing a reel making presentation it may have to be a "Introduction To Reelmaking" but maybe more detailed in a series of presentaions

Lowell

Boris
Master Guide

Post by Boris »

lkbamboo wrote:
11/09/20 21:49
I am the Host of the Virutal Rodmakers Gathering (VRG) that we have once a month and I have access to someone who has made some beautiful reels in his shop.
So I will look into doing a reel making presentation it may have to be a "Introduction To Reelmaking" but maybe more detailed in a series of presentaions

Lowell
That'd be great, Lowell.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

I bought the Eclectic Angler Kit(no workshop/class)
The hardest part of the project was filing the reel foot, took about 3 hours using a Pfluger Pfoot for a template.
Also the drag can be reduced by trimming the paw a little at a time with a razor blade
Reel on my Pennington 6 1/2' Canadian 4wt perfect balance

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”