New Reel

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

Holireels
Guide

New Reel

Post by Holireels »

Worked with fellow member and bamboo rod maker Cris Carpenter to create him a small batch of traditional English style fly reels. Reels are similar to the vintage Farlow/Young pattern reels. Reel is 2.875" OD with fixed check.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Reel

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Nice looking reel. A latch would have made is usable for simple folks like me who wind their proper (left) hand.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Nice looking reel.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

How much $ ?

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/01/20 22:02
Nice looking reel. A latch would have made is usable for simple folks like me who wind their proper (left) hand.
A little smear of real bees wax or (if your paranoid) the lowest grade of loc-tite will keep that screw from ever coming loose.

BTW that's a good looking reel!
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

DireWolf53,

Yes, am using blue loc-tite on several joints. Also designed the spool retention screw to use a very fine 8-36 thread and put a shoulder on it to minimize the contact surface between it and the spools bronze bushing.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Holireels,
Seems like you have taken everything into account.
I've had both Hardy and Kineya reels whose spools are held by screws and have never had any
problems regardless of whether they were set up as LHW or RHW. That has always seemed like
a non issue to me. Kind of like when Chrysler had lug nuts that threaded in different directions
so as to prevent wheels from coming loose/off.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

canesterdf
Master Guide

Re: New Reel= Great Job !!

Post by canesterdf »

John, the reel looks great I hope the the field testing goes well. Best to you, Paul

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Finally someone is tackling this void!! Well done. Looks great!

What is the weight please?
And if you offer it as an option with a red agate and all that very lightweight you would be in for another winner!

Justin Parker
Sport

Post by Justin Parker »

Fantastic looking reel! I have a few Hardy perfects and have always wondered on something like this.
Fine job sir indeed!
Cheers!

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Excellent. As the fellow a few lines up asked: $ ?

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

His blog says $395 but it may not matter too much longer as they look to be "sold out" shortly. I think only about seven were made but don't hold me to that. Cris can clear that up.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/01/20 22:02
.Proper for a right handed caster, but for those like me who are left handed casters, winding with the right hand is proper.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

Definitely a nice looking reel. I wish I would have seen this post earlier. Did anyone manage to buy one? I'd like to see a picture of the check system.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Here you go flyslinger. It's a very smooth and light drag but not too light. Just perfect for fishers who like to fight fish with rod angles and pressure from the hand if needed but enough to prevent overspin.

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”