Finally!

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

gooseberryrods
Master Guide

Finally!

Post by gooseberryrods »

After a move and starting a new job 5 years ago, I am finally completing another rod. I went from a man cave to a loft!
A simple shop, which is my preference, for the two rods per year that I typically build. I do my gluing in the basement, and cork work on the front porch.
Presently about to install a set of super-z’s on a Kushner variant. Cheers from Wisconsin, where there are no trout, only spotted-dace.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Finally!

Post by jhuskey »

Congratulations for your new loft shop gooseberryrods! I like your rods simple aesthetics very much.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Yeah, that looks pretty darn fancy to me! You should be real proud of that one. Congrats!

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Congratulations!
Looks like a nice space.
-P

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Looks great, Scott!

Hopefully we will swing by at the end of this summer, if our road trip north materializes as planned--last year was a bust. I'll bring some Kushners for you to mic.

bb

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

The beauty of rodmaking is most of the procedures can be done in just about any space you find comfortable. OK, my lathe and dip cabinet is in one building and there's a work bench for rough work and gluing in the garage, wrapping is done in my loft up stairs, and finish planing is done on the island counter top in the kitchen area (because after buku years of marriage I still like my wife and she can be a calming influence when I want to break a stubborn strip in half) The best part of it all is the creative process, and a fancy shop IMHO, while making certain tasks easier, still doesn't address the "Why we do what we do." Rodmakers, both new and seasoned, are always best served by following their heart. If that means using a mill in a fancy shop, so be it. But I've seen a lot of great rods planed on the back porch as well. Congrats Gooseberry, you nailed it!

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”