"Mud"

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

Holireels
Guide

"Mud"

Post by Holireels »

Michael,
It took awhile but I finally completed my first set of prototype marbled side plates.  They came out pretty well, but I determined that polished aluminum side plates are not going to work very well.  I'm going to have the next set of reel plates nickel plated so handling the parts during the molding process does not scratch them up.  I've figured out the process pretty well now though and it is repeatable.  Going to try to get these cleaned up and see how it goes, without melting the mud.  The original reels had cast side plates........which would also work very well for the molding process.  Good to hear about your equipment...should work well for you.  I got a new mill and am getting it all set up as well....Take care and look forward to seeing your progress.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Holireels on 02/06/11 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

Whitefish Press
Owner

"Mud"

Post by Whitefish Press »

Those plates are absolutely awesome. Congratulations!

-- Dr. Todd

Holireels
Guide

"Mud"

Post by Holireels »

Dr. Todd,

Thank You!

mhackney
Master Guide

Great article on mud

Post by mhackney »

This quarter's issue of The American Fly Fisher (journal of the American Museum of Fly Fishing) has a great article on early plastics, including mud, by James Hardman. It features many of the Philbrook and Payne parts I acquired from Hoagy Carmichael. It is a great read and resource.

Cheers,
Michael

Tmorrow
Sport

Re:

Post by Tmorrow »

Michael,
I just found this thread. Very fascinating stuff this mud. Have you made any progress lately? I'd love to see some photos of a final product.

Tim

mhackney
Master Guide

Re:

Post by mhackney »

I am almost ready to "release" some of my photos! Stand by.

My goal here was to figure out how these plates were made so I could experiment with alternatives. It has been very fascinating. Also, check out the completed reels that Holireels has made with the red/black mud. Beautiful.

cheers,
Michael

Tmorrow
Sport

Re:

Post by Tmorrow »

Michael,

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Thanks, Tim

greenwell
Master Guide

Re: Re:

Post by greenwell »

mhackney wrote:I am almost ready to "release" some of my photos! Stand by.

My goal here was to figure out how these plates were made so I could experiment with alternatives. It has been very fascinating. Also, check out the completed reels that Holireels has made with the red/black mud. Beautiful.

cheers,
Michael
Looking forward to seeing the pics,you 2 guys are doing a great job,
Chris.

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Re:

Post by afgantrout »

mhackney wrote:John, that molded plate in the frame is excellent. Very authentic looking pattern and quite attractive. I made up some batches of my mud compounds this weekend and will post details - but between work and Thanksgiving, this week is a bust!

I am compounding with calcium carbonate (350 mesh) and I plan to try the wood flour too. It will be interesting to compare these materials. Perhaps we can arrange a trade, I'll send you a sample disk of mine if you send me one of yours!?

It would be an amazing thing to try to catalog all of the known marbled side plate reels. No doubt they are all different! Not only because of the nature of the material, but I can just imagine the builders were trying new things all the time to see what looked good. In Hoagy's book, 8 by Carmichael, he mentions that Payne (I think it was) preferred the look of the black ebonite over the marbled red and black! I really like the fact that you can manipulate the material and make each unique. That's a big part of why I am interested in this. The dyed and stabilized wood burls that I've developed for my reels are attractive (in a different way) but I am at the mercy of the supplier and the material.

Cheers,
Michael
Hey! That looks like my reel!

Cheers,
Michael

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”