Reel feet dimensions for 4-6# reel

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

militin
Sport

Reel feet dimensions for 4-6# reel

Post by militin »

Where could I get drawing for this, I found from internet that radius in bottom is app. 0.350", => app. 9 mm. The other must be measured ?
http://www.flyfishingnetwork.com/FFN/CEreelseats.html

There is something but it is too small text.. >:(

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Re: Reel feet dimensions for 4-6# reel

Post by Mike McGuire »

See this Link.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

militin
Sport

Post by militin »

thanks,

militin
Sport

Post by militin »

Hi, is here some one who know EN standard number ( european std number) for Nickel Silver that is used in reel seat metal parts. Or ANSI number, maybe its possible to get En number that way too. Thanks..

Or what would be good material to use in reel seat steel parts?

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

18% nickel silver is a common alloy used in the manufacture of rod components. In the American system there are 2 common alloys that contain about 18% nickel, C752 and C770

http://olinbrass.com/sites/default/file ... -Sheet.pdf

http://olinbrass.com/sites/default/file ... -Sheet.pdf

I believe that the European equivalent to C752 would be CW409J.

http://www.steelnumber.com/en/steel_all ... me_id=1305
Cw408J seems to be similar in nickel content.

As far as to what material from which to manufacture your reel feet, It will depend on your preference and ultimate conditions of use. Aluminum, stainless steel, brass, bronze and nickel silver are all strong enough for your purpose. Salt water environments would require attention to corrosion resistance.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

militin
Sport

Post by militin »

Thanks, this CW408J or CW409J seems to the same material that I though it would be. It is quite/very expensive, I think I will go with Aluminium & brass.

avyoung
Master Guide
Location: 36°12′S 147°15′E Victoria, Australia on the Mitta Mitta River.

Post by avyoung »

militin wrote:Thanks, this CW408J or CW409J seems to the same material that I though it would be. It is quite/very expensive, I think I will go with Aluminium & brass.
Brass is not a good choice for marine use though it's a common misconception. In fact about the only brass thing you'll find on a boat is the bell if it has one and rowlocks if it has a row boat.
Brass is copper and zinc. The zinc is highly reactive in a marine environment with the copper and wants to leach out of the brass in a process known as de-zincafication.
Of course that's the worst case and only happens in constant use around the marine environment but it may well go green (or worse) where it comes into contact with the rest of the reel and you have better choices that don't have this happen at all and would suggest you avoid brass and use something better from the start.

I would suggest you use a bronze as the first choice or aluminium of the same kind as the reel is made from as a second.
Aluminium, especially the aircraft types like 6000 and 7000 series are bad for corrosion too but at least if everything is the same you'll avoid electrolysis problems.

tony

militin
Sport

Post by militin »

avyoung, I was planing to use brass as shaft, other parts aluminum. For fresh water use only. Is it going to be problem? The aluminum I have is good for this purpose 6082-T6.

avyoung
Master Guide
Location: 36°12′S 147°15′E Victoria, Australia on the Mitta Mitta River.

Post by avyoung »

militin wrote:avyoung, I was planing to use brass as shaft, other parts aluminum. For fresh water use only. Is it going to be problem? The aluminum I have is good for this purpose 6082-T6.
Not at all. I thought because I got it into my head that you were intending to use it in the marine environment.
What you're doing is fine for fresh water use.

tony

militin
Sport

Post by militin »

Does wooden handle Work in reel. Wood &tru oil? I don't have stabilised Wood.

cfrwayne

Post by cfrwayne »

militin wrote:Where could I get drawing for this, I found from internet that radius in bottom is app. 0.350", => app. 9 mm. The other must be measured ?
http://www.flyfishingnetwork.com/FFN/CEreelseats.html

There is something but it is too small text.. >:(
Hi Militin, I just joined....do you still need help with this? pm me with your email address and I can send you a drawing.

Wayne

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

militin
Sport

Post by militin »

Thanks, Just yesterday finish the lathe work with the reel feet. It is not so easy to add pictures here..

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

militin wrote:Thanks, Just yesterday finish the lathe work with the reel feet. It is not so easy to add pictures here..
You have to put your pictures somewhere else, say on one of the image hosting sites, and link them in to a post you make here.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”