Lathes and rod and reel making

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

jz2
Master Guide

Lathes and rod and reel making

Post by jz2 »

I have a old SB 9C, which I am starting to use to make reels. Here a pics of progress (slow) starting from raw stockImage

Using a Robichaud reel as my inspiration. I plan to machine the spool from a single piece of aluminum. Will probably ask the local metal supply shop to laser cut the side plates. will make the spindle myself from steel and brass. I own about 20 s-handle reels of every style so I have plenty of inspiration. Image

I will post my progress as it happens. The aluminum is from the metal shop's scrap bin and most of it is 6061. I have a friend who builds custom target air rifles, so i have access to the shop that does his anodizing. I think the biggest challenge will be the fasteners. I am not at the point when I can thread screws with any accuracy, especially in the tinier sizes used on reels. Looking into the appropriate sizes from McMaster-Carr. The gear for the click pawl is also beyond my ability to make, so will be outsourcing that also. Also, I have some different ideas for the click, at least different from that in any reel I own. Its always fun to re-invent the wheel as it were.
And tremendous props to all the reel makers doing this for a living. It is a ton of work to do well. No reel maker is about to become a multi-millionaire.

For many of the operations in to make reels, I really should have a mill. I have a second lathe, an atlas 618. If any one in the los angeles area has a need for a 618, please PM me. Selling it will help finance a mill.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Lathes and rod and reel making

Post by kermit »

I've been working on this too. I have some extra side plate material available if interested, (size as marked in photos). It looks like your well on your way, looking forward to your progress reports.

ImageImage
Last edited by kermit on 02/10/16 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

gator

Post by gator »

Are there any reference books or published plans to assist folks desiring to make reels using their lathes? Someone has surely helped with ideas in this area. Using made reels as examples always works but written information would be helpful to me. Appreciate any ideas in this area of thought.

jz2
Master Guide

Post by jz2 »

Hey Kermit.
is your mill a Sieg? I'm looking to get a similar mill from Little Machine Shop. Went to your Facebook page. Nice shop! Thanks for the offer on side plates. Let me see how my plan progresses. Did you have them cut from sheet, or from rod material.

gator,
northbranchreels.com has a reel making blog, but I am not aware of any written guide. I'm just winging it. I bought the aluminum tubing to make focus rings for a specific model of Bushnell scope. I was email chatting about reels with board member, and realized a had a "reel in the raw" ready to build.

RJD
Sport

Post by RJD »

Plans by David Triezenberg/northbranchreels.com

http://www.eclecticangler.com/reel-plans-1/

Ron

nvminer

Post by nvminer »

I'm not sure if this is against forum rules or not but here is a link to another thread from a different forum showing the build process for a reel: http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forum ... 25678.html
It is by far the absolute coolest thread I have seen in a forum. Tons of information on material selection and machining processes.

jz2
Master Guide

Post by jz2 »

That is awesome!. Thanks nvminer.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

jz2 wrote:That is awesome!. Thanks nvminer.
Yes, that's awesome! Shows what you can do with the milling attachment for the lathe.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

[quote="jz2"]Hey Kermit.
is your mill a Sieg? I'm looking to get a similar mill from Little Machine Shop. Went to your Facebook page. Nice shop! Thanks for the offer on side plates. Let me see how my plan progresses. Did you have them cut from sheet, or from rod material.

The aluminum disk were cut from sheet using a cnc mill with a high speed rotary bit, (aircraft instrument panels), these are the scrap! The small mill is a Central Machinery mini mill #4491. I have the mini lathe too. I also have a larger lathe Grizzly #G4002 12X24 and a larger milling machine, Grizzly #G0755. They are all used to some degree in the shop for whatever comes up....... I have messed around with making a reel. The style is the same as yours, but so far, nothing complete to show.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

nvminer wrote:I'm not sure if this is against forum rules or not but here is a link to another thread from a different forum showing the build process for a reel: http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forum ... 25678.html
It is by far the absolute coolest thread I have seen in a forum. Tons of information on material selection and machining processes.

Great show and tell presentation on making a classic reel!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Did anyone complete the reel ? from 5 years ago ?
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Justin Parker
Sport

Post by Justin Parker »

I also would like to know! Ha!

Justin Parker
Sport

Post by Justin Parker »

Ok check out this YouTube channel I found

https://youtube.com/channel/UC71_qPf_zxJgxjuoJaLBR1Q

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

I have the MicroLux 7x16 lathe which is the same basic lathe as the LMS 7x16 with a few exceptions. Micro-Mark has their MicroLux lathes and mills built with true inch lead screws. I'm old and non-metric in my mind and so justified the purchase of the MicroLux machines because of true inch readings. If you are comfortable with metric the Little Machine Shop (LMS) machines are very nice. All the other brands (and there's many many other brands) also come with metric lead screws.

Shorter lathe beds are a problem since tooling length becomes an issue when held in a tail stock with a chuck or using a dead/live center. So the 16" bed is useful, IMHO.

However, LMS sells replacement leads screws to go metric to SAE or the reverse. (plus lots of other stuff you will need) Plus longer beds for those that started with a 7x10 and want to increase to 7x16.

The LMS lathe comes with a 4" chuck vs. a 3" chuck on most others (including my MicroLux) and that's a good addition since it open up the pass through hole in the chuck to 7/8" and allows larger parts to be held in the jaws too. So I purchased a 4" chuck some time back. Pass through determines how large in diameter you can feed through the head stock and machine without being limited by the chuck. It is limited to the hole in the chuck with 3" chucks and the headstock opening with a 4" chuck.

A four jaw chuck of any size (3", 4") will allow non-round items to be held and worked on with any lathe and useful if you think you will need to do this. So more money to factor if you need this. Buying a lathe is only the beginning of the money you will spend!

As for the Sieg mills, I again have the MicroLux, here all but LMS have pivoting columns while LMS has a fixed vertical column which doesn't need as much effort to tram (set 90 degs) to the table. It will also stay trammed over time. I believe the LMS mill also has a larger X-Y travel and bigger table as std. with their mills. Tramming is necessary as none arrive properly set up and many require assembly. I soon bought the conversion kit to convert my MicroLux mill to use the solid fixed column as found on the MS mills, but not the larger table.

Both the LMS and MicroLux are belt driven and R9 tooling mills and again some others are plastic gear driven and use other tooling. In most cases you get what you pay for and less money equals lessor spec's.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”