Fly Tying Sunday Night - A Group of Great Vises

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Fly Tying Sunday Night - A Group of Great Vises

Post by SpringCreek »

Had the opportunity to get together for some tying with a couple of friends and acquaintences tonight. With some help, and a little luck, we were able to pull together some fine vises that are all based on, influenced by, or cloned from the now iconic LAW vise. After tying on all four this evening, all I can say is that each is an excellent vise in it's own right. Throw in a Norvise and Jvise that were also brought to the occasion and it was a memorable night indeed.

The four vises below are:

Front Left: Ekich DamaSeal Vise
Front Right: LAW Vise
Rear Left: CAE Vise
Rear Right: Pro Vice

Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fly Tying Sunday Night - A Group of Great Vises

Post by thegubster »

Hmmm, some nice toys here Jim. It's surprising how many seem quite similar to the LAW tool, looking at the jaws and clamping method.

No doubt each have their following. Thanks for sharing these pics. I only just got into a J-vise myself, like I really needed to as much as I tie. Fun stuff.

Jeremy.

JohnDe
Sport

Post by JohnDe »

Now you have me wondering what you all tied? For some reason, and I can't really express it very well there are only 2 vises in the mix that really really appeal to me. The LAW and to a lesser extent the Pro right behind it would be my fantasy picks. Like that olive color early 60s Porshe that has that wow factor for me and a handful of others. It may be something at subtle as the 5 star knob on the LAW versus the smaller knob on the others, not exactly sure. I know the J-vise has lots of fans but the personal attraction is just not there for me. Of course this subjectiveness isn't a problem since I don't see any of these in my future. Thanks for sharing - where are the pictures of the flies?

Isonychia
Guide

Post by Isonychia »

Bazzer69 wrote: I'm wondering why so many of the pro videos seem to use the LAW, is because of snob value? I doubt it.
I can't speak for the guys who do videos, but I use a LAW because I can tie anything from a No. 32 midge to a 10/0 full-dress salmon fly on it without changing or even adjusting the jaws.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Quality equipment in any endeavour adds to the pleasure, in the right hands. What do you say to a tyer who produces a somewhat poorly tied fly on an expensive vice, I am sure it happens. Indeed there are many ways of holding and tying flies (securely and pleasurably) from very small to very large size, without a fancy and expensive vice. Ken Middlemist (the last of Hardys full time salmon fly 'dressers' 1959 -69) did not use a vice at all, and still prefers not to now.

Megan Boyd used a very simple vice from the photos that I have seen. Would she have used a LAW type given the chance, from what I have read of her, somehow I doubt it. The most inspiritational tyer that I have seen lately is Davie McPhail, I am sure that he would tye just as well using a much more humble vice.

Personally 'too much vice' like those large fellows of the LAW ilk do not appeal, though of course I am impressed by their design and price tags.

Yet, the photos of the vices here are truly impressive,showing a range of upmarket, precision made fly tying vices that are available to us, which I am sure are a delight to use.

However, quoting an old English expression here.. they are 'too rich for my blood'.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Malcolm

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Well, well, Geoffrey Bucknall, I remember his fly fishing articles in 'Angling' magazine during the 1970's and 80's. Lucky you, to have had him as a teacher, he was the fly fishing authority thats for certain. What tying materials do you have available, perchance..

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

If there is a fly tying setup that is the exact opposite of what I see there, it would be mine. Although I have a decent vise(Regal), my bench is so covered with materials, you can't see the actual table underneath. The rest of the room around my table is equally cluttered. Someone once told me, "a clean house is a misspent life". I probably took that advice a little too seriously.

Canebum
Master Guide

Post by Canebum »

Quite a few LAW vice owners, including me, got them when they were still reasonably priced from Lawrence and before the hype. I once had a young fellow tell me he thinks my LAW vice is an overly expensive paper weight. I told him I could say the same from him, given that he hasn't worked a day in his life to earn any of the nice toys his trust fund is constantly securing for him.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

bamboo rodley wrote:If there is a fly tying setup that is the exact opposite of what I see there, it would be mine. Although I have a decent vise(Regal), my bench is so covered with materials, you can't see the actual table underneath. The rest of the room around my table is equally cluttered. Someone once told me, "a clean house is a misspent life". I probably took that advice a little too seriously.
Hey, Bamboo Rodley, Is this an example of what you were referring to, actually, this photo was taken on a day when my work station was neat and very organized, other than the fact that you had a decent vise, this one was pretty cheap, but I don't tie a lot anymore, it works for me. JerzyImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on Flickr

j2t
Guide

Post by j2t »

Really neat to see the LAW vise next to the 3 other knock-offs.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

dawgvet
Guide

Post by dawgvet »

I too am impressed by the accumulated vises. My question is if anyone currently makes an affordable LAW-type vise. I'd love to try tying on one to see how well I liked the concept.

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

Those truly are beautiful vises. Did you find they were all able to hold the hook with equal security? I am also of the opinion that the quality of the vise has little to do with the quality of the final fly. On the other hand, it is enjoyable to use the finest of equipment to get a job done. My concern for that particular style of vise is with the material hand. It seems all that "stuff" going on behind the jaws of the hook might make it hard to manipulate materials your laying on the hook with your new non-thread hand.

Jake

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Post by Tom2Cast »

I like the Norvise with the Fine Point Jaws and the beautifully finished wood baseboard.
Wondering if the baseboard is custom homemade?
-Tom

thehunnydohandyman
Sport

Post by thehunnydohandyman »

Bazzer69 wrote:
SpringCreek wrote:Had the opportunity to get together for some tying with a couple of friends and acquaintences tonight. With some help, and a little luck, we were able to pull together some fine vises that are all based on, influenced by, or cloned from the now iconic LAW vise. After tying on all four this evening, all I can say is that each is an excellent vise in it's own right. Throw in a Norvise and Jvise that were also brought to the occasion and it was a memorable night indeed.

The four vises below are:

Front Left: Ekich DamaSeal Vise
Front Right: LAW Vise
Rear Left: CAE Vise
Rear Right: Pro Vice

I am wondering if any of the owners of the vises shown tried each other's Vise and if they had any comments? That would include the NorVice and the J vise. I believe the most expensive and the rarest is in fact the Damaseal, it looks beautiful but the jaws are very different than the LAW's.
The subject of the LAW is a old chestnut, so to speak, but I for one is fascinated by the thought of ever owning one or one of the similar vise's. The J vise has great appeal, but for me it's the lack of pedestal stand that puts me off. But Jay will even make you a Damascus set of jaws if you can afford it! He also has a great range of other products .

Cheers,
Barry
Flyfishing.me
I agree very nice vices, the damaseal was 2500-3000 dollars last I priced it.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Tom2Cast wrote:I like the Norvise with the Fine Point Jaws and the beautifully finished wood baseboard.
Wondering if the baseboard is custom homemade?
-Tom
Tom,

The vise station was purchased several years ago from a company making custom fishing furniture. I'm not sure if the company is still in business as they had numerous issues with delivery. Th station itself is quite nice and convenient for holding both tools and the vise. This was my personal vise for years, while I still use it on occasion it has moved somewhat into the shadows.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

Tom2Cast
Master Guide

Post by Tom2Cast »

Jim,
Thanks for responding with the info on the Base, it complements your Norvise quite attractively I must say.

You also have a beautiful home to attract such elegant tying fixtures.
Enjoyed very much,
-Tom

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Yes, it was a group of acquaintances from the Dallas area. Three of the vises are mine, the other three belong to others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”