Payne Bonefish Rod Taper

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

bluestar48
Sport

Payne Bonefish Rod Taper

Post by bluestar48 »

Anyone have the taper for the Payne Bonefish Rod, either 9'-0" or 9'-6" 3/2 8WT?

May be close to the Payne 400?

Have caught Bonefish on my own developed rods, but would really like to see the Payne Bonefish numbers.

Thanks,

Bill
Last edited by bluestar48 on 12/13/16 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

t simbari
Guide

Re: Payne Bonefish Rod Tsper

Post by t simbari »

You might look at the dry fly salmon rod which is an 8 1/2 3/2 for 7/8 which is very close to the Canadian canoe. The dfs is a great taper.

bluestar48
Sport

Post by bluestar48 »

t simbari wrote:You might look at the dry fly salmon rod which is an 8 1/2 3/2 for 7/8 which is very close to the Canadian canoe. The dfs is a great taper.
Thanks, will look up the DF Salmon.

bluestar48
Sport

Post by bluestar48 »

Have not been able to find the Payne DF Salmon taper either.

Anyone have some numbers?

Thanks,

2dabacking
Master Guide

Re: Payne Bonefish Rod Taper

Post by 2dabacking »

Bill,
I believe you might be in good shape with the tapers for the models 400 (9' rod) and 410 (9'6" rod). The Bonefish models may have been based on those tapers with a change in hardware suitable for the salt. I do not know this as fact, but I can tell you that I do not recall ever seeing a rod with a hang tag marked as a "Bonefish."

I have seen a handful of rods which had the hallmarks of the Bonefish model as described in Payne catalogs, but only one had a hang tag. That one rod was offered to me about five years ago. It was 9'6" with the black anodized aluminum hardware and special handmade guides. The rod had a hang tag with the model number 410. Unfortunately, I did not buy the rod, but I did see it resurface about a year ago without the hang tag and being sold as a Bonefish rod. Maybe it was the wrong bag and hang tag? I'll see if I can find the details.

bluestar48
Sport

Post by bluestar48 »

Thanks for your response.

The "Bonefish" rod may just be the Model 400 in different garb; 9'6" just an extension of the taper.

So far I have not had any corrosion issues with Aluminum or nickel silver in saltwater.

Confirming taper numbers would be a bonus.

Bill

2dabacking
Master Guide

Post by 2dabacking »

Bill,
I was able to find the rod details. The rod was indeed finished in the black anodized saltwater/bonefish garb and black oxidized nickel silver ferrules - even with matching black ferrule plugs. The rod bag was an exact fit for the rod, so it seems reasonable to believe that the hang tag was correct also. The hang tag read as follows:

No. 410
9 1/2 Feet Without Button
7 7/8 Ounces

These specs are consistent with the Payne Bonefish cataloged specs. I hope this is helpful in your search for the correct taper measurements.
Best wishes, Joel

bluestar48
Sport

Post by bluestar48 »

Thanks, Joel.

Bill

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

I'm looking for the taper for a Payne 410. Does anyone have it, or know where it can be found?
Chris
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

FYI:

It seems that (based on my measuring the 2) the Payne Canadian Canoe (8'6", 3/2) and the Payne 8'6" DF 3/2 are the same taper. Interesting. Was the CC name just a marketing ploy.

Any Payne experts out there who could chime in.

Carl

Return to “Taper Exchange”