What Rods Have You Parted With Lately?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Re: What Rods Have You Parted With Lately?

Post by JohnMD1022 »

Doug Murdoch wrote:
01/12/17 20:07
Lol. Reminds me of Patrick McManus having a nightmare of his wife selling his guns for what he told her he paid.

My 20 ga. M426E Beretta will go to a Buddy.
I don’t exactly how the deal went down, not my mother sold my step-father’s entire gun collection for $6k.

I do know that there was a 3 barrel drilling that was given to him when he retired as Police Chief, that was worth at least that much.

tonymccall
Sport

Post by tonymccall »

I'm giving a McGill and Wright Granger 8642 Victory to my dad for his and mom's 50th wedding anniversary. Does that count?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I don't know why it wouldn't!

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I gave a 7-foot Dave Klausemeyer 4-wt rod and a lovely 1916 Savage model 1899 rife in 250-3000 to my grandson and son-in-law recently. My grandfather was the 2nd owner of the rifle since 1930. Although I shot it as a young boy and a bit as an adult, I was just its steward since grandpa's death in 1983.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

One ought not to feel bad about selling a rod that doesn't fit the caster's style, no matter what the make. The one you traded may be a better quality rod in every department, but it doesn't fit your casting style or adapts well to the kind of streams you fish.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I gave my Farlow Ultimate 5’10 1/4 one piece to Mike Watriss. It had not been fished in almost 30 years, and it went to a friend who wii fish it.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

75% of 75 at last count. Keepin' my head above water for now although getting beat about the head and neck pricewise. Shipping is soo way expensive, so not even break even!! THE END IS NEAR.
I'll keep a few but for the rest, of no use to me as the 15yo bug bit the dust recently!
"Strictly Blue Collar" great album!
Cheers all !
PS A ref to "Strictly Genteel", Zappa, which I was listening to at the time of this post.
Last edited by steeliefool on 12/07/22 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

In the last month, I have sold an AG Spalding Kosmic, an HA Whittemore Kosmic, and a fly rod from Rangeley's under-the-radar rod maker, E.T. Hoar. With a few exceptions(Wheeler), the bigger part of my collection will be sold.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I have owned this circa 1949 Paul H. Young "Special," 8'6" in rare three piece format, for fourteen years. Haven't fished it in a few years. It's time for a friend to enjoy it.

Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Ah Quashnet, my oldest and dearest friend of friends. Good buddy, ol' pal. Just happened to be wondering if you had any rods you wanted to pass on. :)

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

I don’t sell rods often, but did sell a couple of Maxwell era Leonards recently. One was a near mint 49-4 Standard. The other was a mint unfished 49-5 Hunt Special. The Hunt Special was a hard rod to let go of due to its aesthetics (full intermediate wraps) and scarcity. I refused to take the plastic off the handle and fish it. As the only mint rod in my collection, I finally decided to sell it considering that I can’t really afford to have an unfished rod in my collection.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

driftless angler wrote:
12/07/22 12:41
Ah Quashnet, my oldest and dearest friend of friends. Good buddy, ol' pal. Just happened to be wondering if you had any rods you wanted to pass on. :)
OK, I just reset the timer for another fourteen years. :D
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Ha! Thanks Quashnet! Oops, I meant to say, my dearest, closest friend Quashnet!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”