Book Prices on North Country Fly Dressings

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Book Prices on North Country Fly Dressings

Post by joaniebo »

On 11/22/2009, I ordered a copy of Mike Harding’s book called: “A Guide to North Country Flies and How to Tie Them” (ISBN #1845134893) from Alibris and paid the sum of $20.79, including postage.

Today, I noticed on Amazon-US that 10 used copies were now listed as being available from $139.00 to $944.99 and 2 new copies for $370.88 and $417.97. Alibris’ listings were priced pretty much the same for new books but with fewer copies being available.

So I went on Bookfinder and used the ISBN #1845134893 in a search and found new 14 books priced at $257.57 to $2,229.71 and 44 used books priced at $135.00 to $1,292.12 with 8 of the used books being priced at or above $1,000.

Have no idea why such a recently published book should be experiencing such increased prices.

Then I also looked up Rob Smith’s new book called: “The North Country Fly: Yorkshire’s Soft Hackle Tradition” (ISBN 1904784658). Amazon-US had only 1 new book listed at $136.99 and no used copies being available. When I ordered this book from Amazon-UK on 02/25/20015, I paid £31.94 or approx.. $42.00 at today’s exchange rate.

Doing the ISBN search on Bookfinder showed 7 new books available ranging from $36.60 to $104.45 and 12 used books priced from $39.98 to $389.81 - - - quite a wide range for a book that was published in 2015.

It pays (or saves) to look around before buying some books.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Book Prices on North Country Fly Dressings

Post by jhuskey »

" Rob Smith’s new book called: “The North Country Fly: Yorkshire’s Soft Hackle Tradition” (ISBN 1904784658)."

Glad I got mine when I did.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

John

I just ordered another copy from Amazon-UK as a birthday gift for a friend. If I recall correctly, they only had 4 or 5 copies left according to their listing.

By the way, out TU Chapter ties flies at the Cabelas each Tuesday evening and every now and then, I demonstrate a few. Will be tying my variation of Cracklebacks and Frenchie nymphs on February 7th. Stop by if you can make it. Hope all is well with you.

Bob

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Thanks Bob! I've been a silent hidden member of the Lee Wulff chapter of TU for a number of years. With retirement I might have time to kick the tires.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

John

Take a look at the Lee Wulff Chapter website....meetings over the winter on the third Thursday of each month. A couple guys have requested that I show them how I dub Bethke's Pink Squirrel nymph, so either before or after the meeting on February 16th, I'll have my vise and materials there to demonstrate.

Bob

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Sadly, some book dealers have either got a bad case of "fat fingers" when entering their prices in on-line platforms, or are real chancers, hoping to hook a sucker. I buy out of print books around 20 times a year and am regularly astonished by the extraordinarily high prices quoted by some sellers. They can easily check what the competition is asking - and fortunately so can we - so chancing it seems to be the only plausible explanation. I guess they don't shift a lot of stock...

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Bob Smith's book is still available from anglebooks.com, signed, for list price.

As far as Mike Harding's book, it is a strange anomaly. A few 4 or 5 years ago, that book was 12.00us, and there were lots of them, I bought more than a few. Mike has garnered attention in the UK with his writing in some of the mags, and demand went up quickly. My guess is some of it is auto-adjust prices, and people who think the book has changed hands at these crazy prices. My guess is a copy has never sold for over 50.00US.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

joaniebo wrote:John

Take a look at the Lee Wulff Chapter website....meetings over the winter on the third Thursday of each month. A couple guys have requested that I show them how I dub Bethke's Pink Squirrel nymph, so either before or after the meeting on February 16th, I'll have my vise and materials there to demonstrate.

Bob
Been on it many times - work is winding down. Working days left, 44!

diamante
Sport

Post by diamante »

I have noticed that after two years since anyone has posted to this thread that the prices for Harding’s book is still in the range of $1,200.00 to $5,000.00 US. I love my copy but I’d be willing to let mine go. At my age I would rather sell it than see my non-fishing heirs toss it after I’m gone.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

There's several very good buys available for a couple of Roger Fogg's books, including "The Art of the Wet Fly." Do a "Bookfinder" search....some very decent prices for a couple great books.

Fats62
Guide

Post by Fats62 »

Have Foggs book "The Art of the Wet Fly". wasn't cheap when I got it.

Ed Pirie
Guide

Post by Ed Pirie »

Somebody, can't remember whom, advised me to get Mike Harding's book when it first came out. It seems like the word in Great Britain about this book was that there would not be a lot of them printed, and it would probably not be reprinted.

Well, I was in the middle of my soft hackle kick, still am, and after all of Roger Fogg's books, J.N. Watson's book, Allen McGee's, Leslie Magee's, Sylvester Nemes', W.H. Lawrie's, Pitt's, the Edmonds and Lee book, and there must be some I am missing, anyway, the Harding book seemed like it was a must have.

I am glad I bought it when it first came out, not sure about the current asking prices, except they are more than I paid for sure. I was never too keen on the spiral type binding, but, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I don't intend to sell any of my library, they are all keepers and often get read and referred to. I remember when the Harding book came out one of the criticisms was a few too many bead heads in the book. Yea, there are a few - chalk it up to author's discretion.

And, maybe I will be able to retire some day due to my investment in Mike Harding's book, haha.

I like it and won't be parting with it.

Another that has become kind of pricey is Roger Fogg's book, A Handbook of North Country Flies (should be underlined - can't figure out how to do it). I feel lucky to have found that one several years ago and I am keeping it too. Actually, that book is well worth referring to from time to time. I learn something new each time I pick it up.

All of the Roger Fogg books are well worth having, along with the Leslie Magee book, the Rob Smith book, the J.N. Watson book (for some reason, this one is ridiculously cheap at the Cochy Bondhu site - must have printed too many). The Syl Nemes books are excellent, and the Allen Magee books are good too. I have enjoyed the W.H. Lawrie books also. And the best, part - soft hackles catch brook trout in Vermont.

Maybe the same folks that are pricing these books are also the folks pricing insulin. I have to grimace every time I pick up my wife's insulin at the pharmacy. I remember when it was about $10 per bottle and now about $500. It has about tripled in the last ten years. My wife met the two Canadian doctors that invented insulin - they wanted it to be available for everyone cheap and they gave the patent away for $1.00, yes one dollar -go figure. So, the insulin folks must be in cahoots with the Mike Harding book sellers - ya think.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

Chasin Brookies

Post by Chasin Brookies »

Patience and knowing where to look.

Roger Fogg ‘The Art of the Wet Fly’ auction site $20 shipped
Roger Fogg ‘Handbook of North Country Flies’ Amazon $63 shipped
Roger Fogg ‘Wet Fly Tying and Fishing’ Abe Books $21 shipped

The Art of the Wet Fly, my personal favorite, current Amazon price $160 but on Abe Books anywhere from $33 - $60.

I couldn’t find Handbook for less than $125 but checked Amazon once in a while and found it for $56. Set a time record logging in for that one.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

[quote="Ed Pirie" post_id=838107 time=1556929621 user_idt

Maybe the same folks that are pricing these books are also the folks pricing insulin. I have to grimace every time I pick up my wife's insulin at the pharmacy. I remember when it was about $10 per bottle and now about $500. It has about tripled in the last ten years. My wife met the two Canadian doctors that invented insulin - they wanted it to be available for everyone cheap and they gave the patent away for $1.00, yes one dollar -go figure. So, the insulin folks must be in cahoots with the Mike Harding book sellers - ya think.

Ed Pirie

I
West Topsham, Vermont
[/quote]

I buy from Canadian Insulin for about &51 per vial, including shipping, for Humulin M.

From Vermont, if you can get into Canada, it’s about half that.

Return to “Book Talk”