Let's see your South Bend fly rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Let's see your South Bend fly rods

Post by teter »

From the top by model #:
8' Cross 1640
8 1/2' #323 (HEH)
8 1/2' #323 (HEH)
8 1/2' #323 (HDH)
8 1/2' #346
8 1/2' #359
9' #12
9' #47

reelill
Master Guide

Post by reelill »

I am so glad to see your enjoying it Lon,. It looks like he's not alone.

I really like this thread beautiful SouthBends.
Richard
Antique Rod and Reel Library https://antiquerodandreels.com/
Antique Rod and Reel Exchange https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodandreelexchange/

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I just knew that there were some closet SB lovers out there...nice rods...

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

here's one of the 359-9 in action, with a rainbow from the Arkansas river Pueblo tailwater..

The picture is blurry, so applied an oil painting filter and called it art. Ha.

It's my first time fishing with an automatic, Shakespeare Tru-arT that came free with a glass rod I bought. Cleaned it up and put on a new line, works fine. The spring is a bit heavy for 6x tippet, ended up feeding line out by hand when one of the bigger fish ran.

a tough day, lots of refusals, lots of fishermen on not much water.. but got 2 out of 3 risers seen, on a #24 CDC emerger. In the evening the fish were rising steadily to something emerging but we did not figure it out, took this one and a couple smaller at least.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

This is a 290 I acquired in very good shape. I believe it has been revarnished unprofessionally sometime in the recent past and a person comfortable could probably polish this out nicely. As is, great fitting ferrules, good handle, all straight and full length, and just that one stripper on the butt with adequate guides on tip. This rod is going on the Classified soon now that I took some pics and has a real nice Southbend reel to go with it.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

Here is a photo of my Southbend 9 foot model 59. I bought it from someone here on the forum (can't remember who) but he did a fantastic restoration on it.

Char_Mender

Post by Char_Mender »

An 8.5 59. I have two of these. This by far the better of them. One tip, no sock. I'm second owner since new

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Here is a South Bend 59-9 model #59 9' 3/2 which I believe to be made circa 1951-1952 based upon: 1) the reel seat, 2) the reported discontinuation of bamboo production at South Bend in 1953, and 3) that "jasper" was dropped from the description in the 1953 catalog. I have it paired with the larger of the Bivans Mfg. Arnold reel from Los Angeles circa the same vintage (this reel marked pat pend and Bivans was given a pat in Feb 1950; I suspect that given the short time that Bivans was in business, they likely never changed the marking to patented). I picked it up at a pawn shop just yesterday. A couple of interesting (at least to me, a genuine South Bend novice) points on this nicely flamed rod: 1) most of the cork grips that I have seen photos of have multiple grooves; this grip does not, 2) I have not found an identical South Bend decal - some similar, but those have additional information below the "A Name Famous In Fishing" line, 3) the 59-9 is written in yellow, NOT black, 4) quality control at this price point was lacking - note the difference in wrap length on the tips. All pieces are identical in length. Other than obviously being used, the only flaw seems to be a missing hook keeper & damaged tube.

Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/28/18 15:10, edited 8 times in total.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Nice find. You are correct on the 1951-1953 production period. Around 1951 or so, they started using that decal and used it until the end of production around 1953. Your identical rod, with the same reel seat and without the ventilated (grooved) grip, can be seen in the "South Bend Catalogs" thread under this board's "Information About Makers & Manufacturers" sub-forum.
Mark

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Nice rod, I like the green/black jasper wraps. A couple of notes that I have learned about the SB's from the other gurus. Instead of flamed cane, SB used darker varnish that appeared "flamed". I'm not 100% in that camp, because I have seen some, like yours, that are pretty convincing. There were many grips like yours without the grooves and writing in white (turned yellow). I would definitely make sure that all ferrules were tight and wraps were stable, as the glue tends to dry out over the years. And yes, SB's were all over the map throughout the years. Great bass rod.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

South Bend #47 9 foot 3/2. Mint, as in NEVER FISHED!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Webfly wrote:Nice rod, I like the green/black jasper wraps. A couple of notes that I have learned about the SB's from the other gurus. Instead of flamed cane, SB used darker varnish that appeared "flamed". I'm not 100% in that camp, because I have seen some, like yours, that are pretty convincing. There were many grips like yours without the grooves and writing in white (turned yellow). I would definitely make sure that all ferrules were tight and wraps were stable, as the glue tends to dry out over the years. And yes, SB's were all over the map throughout the years. Great bass rod.
From their catalog: "split bamboo in rich flame finish" - I don't know how they created that look, but sure looks like flame to me.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
Webfly wrote:Nice rod, I like the green/black jasper wraps. A couple of notes that I have learned about the SB's from the other gurus. Instead of flamed cane, SB used darker varnish that appeared "flamed". I'm not 100% in that camp, because I have seen some, like yours, that are pretty convincing. There were many grips like yours without the grooves and writing in white (turned yellow). I would definitely make sure that all ferrules were tight and wraps were stable, as the glue tends to dry out over the years. And yes, SB's were all over the map throughout the years. Great bass rod.
From their catalog: "split bamboo in rich flame finish" - I don't know how
they created that look, but sure looks like flame to me.
I thought the same thing, but was corrected by the top SB guru when I mentioned that one of mine was flamed. Apparently, if you strip the varnish, it is light beneath it. I never tried so I will take his word.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Ok, I miss quoted. Here is a response to one of my threads: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=70588&p=578526&hil ... ss#p578526

It would be nice to know if anybody has ever stripped one of these to get a more definitive answer.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Yup they work!
ImageImageImage

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Salar4me wrote:Yup they work!
ImageImageImage
Yes Sir, Very nice rod, reel and beautiful fish, I also love your technique of releasing your fish, just like I do, I handle them as little as possible, never removing them completely from the water, I love it!

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Here's one you don't often see, a Cross (South Bend) No.253 "Doublebuilt", with the original bag and labeled tube. These were believed to have been produced for a short time near, or immediately after the end of WWII. These, like so many of the later Cross models, were never catalogued. How South Bend was able to market them is a mystery.
ImageImageImageImage

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

"It would be nice to know if anybody has ever stripped one of these to get a more definitive answer."
I've refinished a couple of my #346s, and they're deeply flamed. The 346 and 359 look to be the only models with actual flaming, with other dark cane models having tinted varnish. That's what my eye tells me... at this moment...
Shrimpy

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

wrong66 wrote:Here's one you don't often see, a Cross (South Bend) No.253 "Doublebuilt", with the original bag and labeled tube. These were believed to have been produced for a short time near, or immediately after the end of WWII. These, like so many of the later Cross models, were never catalogued. How South Bend was able to market them is a mystery.
ImageImageImageImage
If anyone happens to know of a catalog listing for these, please let me know.
Mark

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

teter wrote: From the top by model #:
8' Cross 1640
8 1/2' #323 (HEH)
8 1/2' #323 (HEH)
8 1/2' #323 (HDH)
8 1/2' #346
8 1/2' #359
9' #12
9' #47
Lon, I would like to know what line do you prefer on the 8 1/2' #323 (HEH)?

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”