USPS has lost my Winston

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: USPS has lost my Winston

Post by jhuskey »

Yahoooo indeed! :wave

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Couple of things that have helped me with USPS claims in the past:

--Fully insure every high-value item you send.

--Keep all receipts. They prove not only that postage and insurance have been paid, but also the weight of the package. I once had a rod disappear (likely stolen) from its packaging, which was then taped back up by unknown parties (likely the thief). I got resistance to my claim on grounds that the sender may have sent an empty package (implying fraud). It was the weight discrepancy between the shipper's receipt vs. my receipt at pick-up (save those, too) that saved my butt; 3.4 lbs had gone missing!

--If you are the sender follow the packaging rules. If you are the receiver, INSIST that the sender follow the rules. Ask for a photo of the item in its package prior to shipment. Arguing that the USPS employee accepted the package, took payment, and provided insurance is a Hail Mary. Be prepared to refuse the package if it comes to you improperly packaged.

--Open the package in front of a USPS employee. I often stand next to the pick-up window and open the package in case there is any shipping damage or missing items. I did this in the case of the missing 3.4 lbs and it was essential to the claim. The clerk verified that the case had been re-taped at some point before it was handed to me.

--Ask the seller for a copy / photo of their receipt. This can help your cause. Only the shipper can file a claim in the USPS system. Make sure that your sender seems cooperative to filing a claim in the event of loss. Ensure you have some leverage available (rating, complaint process, payment protection, etc.) in case they become unhelpful once they have your money. I have been burned on this by board members.

--Make sure you have evidence of value. Keep a copy of the listing where you saw the item. Use email as "written" proof of the value of the item you paid for. Make sure it is time-stamped prior to shipment or contains words to that effect if you have forgotten. "Today I sent you the Leonard rod you paid $xxxx for on 01/15/17, fully insured." Or something to that effect. Keep evidence of payment.

--Be aware of any deadlines for filing insurance claims. Ask your clerk. They are changing all the time. If you are off by two days you are screwed. Ask me how I know.

--If possible, remain patient. Especially international shipments. My understanding is that Customs doesn't thoroughly inspect every single package. Instead it is a sampling program using entire containers. If your item is on the selected container, it might be a long while. My record is 7 months coming from Canada, no fault of the shipper, but it did show up.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Glad your rod turned up!

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Cool!! Glad the rod showed up safe and sound!
Brian

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

As a parcel clerk for the organization everyone likes to bad mouth, I'd be interested in what the hold up was. And not everyone is so careful in their packaging. Actually too many rods leaving MT that aren't packaged in anything other than a rod tube - without cap even being taped shut. Fly shops often the biggest offender - sending rods back to factories for repair/replacement.

Cane

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Right on Matt, it ended the best way. I know the tension in riding it out though, I too once waited a month for a reel to get to Canada from England, and had basically written it off when it finally arrived.

I am unsure if USPS has the same type of guarantee, but with Canada Post, if a package is not delivered on time and it can be proven with tracking then shipping costs can be claimed for a full refund. It has to be evident in the tracking that it was not tied up in custom's, and holidays / weekends are not factored in to the delivery time. I made a claim against a slow delivery once to the US on a parcel that arrived a few days late and had no problem at all getting the $73 returned to me. It would be worth checking out the prospect of a refund Matt if the rod was shipped Priority or Express. Would be great if you could get a bit of money back on a service that didn't deliver on time as you paid for.

xvigauge
Guide

Post by xvigauge »

Celebrate good times; come on...!!!!!
Joe

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Is FedEx pretty reliable? How about insurance experience?

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

You have to hammer on the USPS tracking people.

When I get told “It got lost”, I reply “Things don’t get lost. Find it.”

I have not had anything permanently “lost” since I adopted this approach.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

JohnMD1022 wrote:
09/25/22 16:30
You have to hammer on the USPS tracking people.

When I get told “It got lost”, I reply “Things don’t get lost. Find it.”

I have not had anything permanently “lost” since I adopted this approach.
??.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I will remember that approach next time. About ten years ago I sold a collectible fly for $500 to a guy in RI. I shipped it in a flat document Priority shipper, insured for $500. The buyer was initially gunshy about shipping flies through the mail. He sent me a postal MO and I went down and shipped it. Didn't arrive.
I don't recall which point along the way it was last scanned. But the guy was a little bent out of shape. To keep him off my back, I sent him a check for $500 and started filing. If you've done it I don't need to detail what happened. At the time it was three strikes and you're out - no more filing for the claim. I had no reference stating the fly was worth that much. I drove to my local PO and spoke briefly with the postmaster. We maintain good relations with our postmasters.
Wonder of wonders, next day the USPS emails notification of a settlement on my claim. It pays to make friends with the postmaster. Less than a week later, I got my $500. A week after that, the package arrived in RI - the buyer got the fly for free. I made nothing and lost the fly that I'd originally paid Paul Schmookler $250 for. Couple years later, the buyer sold it in an auction to a high bid of $250, minus expenses. He netted maybe $200.
Lesson - know your postmaster.
Lesson two learned today. Don't let the USPS guy on the phone off the hook.
Tangentially related - Small arms ammunition is typically shipped UPS because Uncle Sam won't handle it. A forum discussion elsewhere spoke of the increase in lost ammo shipments. Best forum answer to that: tell the UPS guy on the phone that your next call will be to the ATF. The forum guy says that always works. The ammo gets delivered to its destination. Sadly, the F in ATF is not for fishing tackle.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

My lesson is never to ship to a PO Box, period!

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

The OP's Winston rod was safely delivered five-and-a-half years ago, but all it takes is one irrelevant late-night grumpy post to start up the wailing all over again.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

jeffkn1 wrote:
09/26/22 10:54

Tangentially related - Small arms ammunition is typically shipped UPS because Uncle Sam won't handle it. A forum discussion elsewhere spoke of the increase in lost ammo shipments. Best forum answer to that: tell the UPS guy on the phone that your next call will be to the ATF. The forum guy says that always works. The ammo gets delivered to its destination. Sadly, the F in ATF is not for fishing tackle.
But the "A" means alcohol and can be used to your advantage. I once had a problem with UPS leaving packages in our condo building lobby without getting a signature--so suggested to two sellers to indicate the package contains alcohol and required a signature of someone over 21 (which is a Federal requirement). It worked briefly, until the pandemic, when UPS gave up on signatures altogether, and left cases of wine in the building lobby unsigned for. LOL.

bb

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”