USPS has lost my Winston

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

doloresboy
Master Guide

Re: USPS has lost my Winston

Post by doloresboy »

Thanks Mark. As I said, beautiful rod, probably lost, but I'm not going to waste my life worrying about it. It's a fishing pole.

A very nice fishing pole, and a BRACKETT fishing pole! I'm ok.

Matt

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Matt, was it insured for full value? If it was and never gets delivered (I know you have to wait a certain number of days before you can file of claim of goods being lost), you hopefully can get proper financial compensation for it. The value of Winston's is well documented, as well as the fact they sell at $2500 and $3000 new from the company which can be easily found.

It's much better if it gets delivered, but I hope compensation gets paid out if not and you don't have to absorb the financial loss of the rod which is significant.

Serious downer that you are going through this, I hope it works out, and at least that you get an insurance claim if it never does get delivered.

I will keep a eye out for that serial number if that rod model shows up.

Best of luck with it...

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I can't say that it will do any good. Mark certainly has more knowledge of this than I do. But there is a way to file a theft complaint, at least ostensibly.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/inve ... Theft.aspx

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

t simbari wrote:There is exactly one safe way to ship via the PO, that is registered, insured. It is economical and safe because every single soul that touches it must sign for it and no other methodology requires that process.
+1 on this method, especially with high end rods.

MARLINS MAN

Post by MARLINS MAN »

sorry for your loss. usps "misplaced a leonard standard 6ft 2/2 " somewhere between ormond beach fl and denver co. box came back undelivered and empty.. took 2 years of hard work to receive the insurance monies. start with the postmaster at the sending po. good luck

Ed Pirie
Guide

Post by Ed Pirie »

I hate to hear about lost rods - every time I have bought or sold a rod I am on pins and needles until it gets to where it is going safely.

I have probably shipped and bought over 30+ rods in the last ten years. Maybe not very many by some of your measure, but enough for me.

My common sense rules about shipping are this:
- always ship Priority (the fewer days in the mail stream the better)
- always get a tracking number and insurance (never had a claim, but maybe it will help
- always ship in the week so a rod is never in the mail stream over the weekend (I think this is really the best precaution - keep rods out of the weekend mail stream - both on the selling end and on the buying end. I have asked a seller to wait until Monday to ship and please do not ship to me over the weekend.
- package like you are shipping your first born - avoid packaging that can be tossed around like a spear - using bigger packaging and pack well - my son worked for the post office and told me that the packages that can be tossed when loading and unloading trucks do get tossed

Sorry about your loss - I hope it shows up soon and in good shape.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

t simbari
Guide

Post by t simbari »

adrien schnee wrote:Tim, I agree it's the most documented during transit method to ship, but unfortunately it doesn't assure the sender that insurance will pay out either. As Ric mentioned in his post above, he shipped his Dickerson to Bud using that method and both tips sheared off the rod in transport, but he received no compensation for a fully insured rod.
Shipping methodology is quetion number one, packing methodology is entirely different.
That would not happen packed with padding in the tube which is then packed and padded in a PVC , sealed , thick, tube.
Small inconvience for pricey rods.
Don't know if procedure was the same" many years ago" but with signatures, now, every touch, much safer.
You talk to guys that send 5-6 figure guns all over, this is THE way it is done.
Last edited by t simbari on 02/17/17 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

As has been stated numerous times, 3" PVC drain pipe is the best way to ship. It's virtually indestructible, yet light enough to use for shipping. Comes in 10 ft. sections at my local Ace hardware for $7.89. Comes to about $2.75 per rod (less than $4.00 for two-piece rods), which wouldn't even buy you a cheap cardboard shipping tube. Pack it so that it can't move within the tube and even the United States Postal Service, determined as they are, will not be able to damage your rod. Doesn't help for theft, though.
Mark

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

After reading the good and bad on here I think I have gleaned this from the thread. Don't bother paying insurance. It's just an extra charge they won't honor if it's needed. I've had all good luck with USPS including on damaged container but rod and tube fine inside. I did just have an unusual occurrence with a fly box I shipped to Australia for a guy's Christmas present and sent it about the first of December. After writing it off as a lost cause that had disappeared into the etheric plane forever it pops up in perfect, undamaged shape at his house about 3 days ago.

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

wrong66 wrote:As has been stated numerous times, 3" PVC drain pipe is the best way to ship. It's virtually indestructible, yet light enough to use for shipping. Comes in 10 ft. sections at my local Ace hardware for $7.89. Comes to about $2.75 per rod (less than $4.00 for two-piece rods), which wouldn't even buy you a cheap cardboard shipping tube. Pack it so that it can't move within the tube and even the United States Postal Service, determined as they are, will not be able to damage your rod. Doesn't help for theft, though.
Mark
I always ship my rods in a section of schedule 40 pvc. pipe. 1 cap glued on and one locked on with a set screw. That's the same way Glenn sent it back.

Just keeping my fingers crossed!

Matt

HeddonSilk
Sport

Post by HeddonSilk »

I wonder if a class action lawsuit filed against the USPS could bring about restitution and change?

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bvandeuson »

A couple weeks ago I sent a rifle out registered and insured, first time I ever used that service. I was sweating it until the recipient said he had it, safe and sound. The temporary new postmistress even helped me put the correct tape on the package...has to be paper tape all around they can stamp with postmarks all over so it becomes evident if the package is tampered with.

BB

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

t simbari wrote:
adrien schnee wrote:Tim, I agree it's the most documented during transit method to ship, but unfortunately it doesn't assure the sender that insurance will pay out either. As Ric mentioned in his post above, he shipped his Dickerson to Bud using that method and both tips sheared off the rod in transport, but he received no compensation for a fully insured rod.
Shipping methodology is quetion number one, shipping methodology is entirely different.
That would not happen packed with padding in the tube which is then packed and padded in a PVC , sealed , thick, tube.
Small inconvience for pricey rods.
Don't know if procedure was the same" many years ago" but with signatures, now, every touch, much safer.
You talk to guys that send 5-6 figure guns all over, this is THE way it is done.
Tim, how can shipping methodology be entirely different than shipping methodology? I don't understand what you mean.

But I agree with you 100 percent that when rods are shipped we should do our best to pack them the safest we can for transport. For me it means using tissue to close the gap at the top of the tube under the cap, putting a bit of tissue down before rolling the sock to prevent guides digging into the cork and taking up any slack within the tube, and surrounding the tube in the shipping vessel with shock absorbing foam and crumpled paper and buying extra heavy rectangular boxes which are much stronger than the free triangle boxes from USPS that I have received rods in on many occassions. I never use round shipping containers as the final package, as I believe most of us don't either, as they are prone to falling off belts and are too tempting I think to "javelin" by handlers. Canada Post even has a surcharge for any round tubes being shipped as they are more likely to be damaged or lost by slipping off belts. As you mentioned, some like to put the rod tube within a PVC pipe nside of the shipping box as another layer of protection as well.

I agree too that Registered Insured is a fine way to ship affordably in the US, if the buyer knows it takes a bit longer. Their special tape that is required is an extra touch which is handy as packing evidence too. But unfortunately it is still not a guarantee of insurance payment should damage occur to our well packed goods - as no shipping method or shipping provider is though.

t simbari
Guide

Post by t simbari »

Typo......my bad. Packing vs shipping

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

Yahoooooo! The rod showed up Friday afternoon safe and sound!

Thanks to everybody for their concerns!

Matt

Rio Grande King
Guide

Post by Rio Grande King »

Now that is some good news! :wave
Ken

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Congrats Matt! Sorry you had to stress out for the shipment.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Matt that's great! Always good to hear a happy ending on these post office shenanigans. Bassman - I had the exact same story you had on the box to Austrailia with a package I sent there a while back....mailed and it disappeared for 3 months and then showed up in fine shape!

I ship and receive rods all the time...mostly less expensive graphite vs cane...and I've had a number of rods damaged. Every time a rod has arrived crunched it has been in a cylindrical shipping tube (including PVC). Triangular and square tubes do not roll off the conveyor system and get run over by the forklift or truck.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Great!
I recently had a spare spool shipped from the US to Europe.
The journey the spool made was kinda weird (US>Europe>US>Europe) but it arrived with some delay. Also USPS :)
But USPS always delivered!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

That's an welcome and awesome end to the story, Matt! Thanks for letting us know.

Rupert

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”