Any Thought's ? Hardy 7'.6'' Marvel

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Any Thought's ? Hardy 7'.6'' Marvel

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

I have been considering the purchase of a 7' 6'' 3 piece 5-6 wt Marvel. I understand their concidered on the slow side, but would appreciate first hand user's thought's and opinion's. Seem's like a nice taper to toss nymphs ? Ia'm all ear's. I can take the bad as well as the good. Thank's
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

LeeB
Master Guide

Re: Any Thought's ? Hardy 7'.6'' Marvel

Post by LeeB »

N.Z.,
I've owned three, and it's one of my favorite 7'6" rods. A few comments:
- I know nothing about the Marvels that were re-introduced within the last 10 years. My experience is only with the rods from the 50s/60s/70s.
- Never handled (or seen) one that's a 5-6. All three of mine were marked for a 4, and the first two certainly were, the third one is really a 3. I would call the action medium, and I fish them with small dry flies using a DT3 or DT4 Sylk line.
- The quality (and value) vary considerably based on when they were made. The rods from the 50s and 60s are regarded as the highest quality, and generally command the highest prices. As they moved into the 70s, and eventually stopped making them (early 80s?), the quality fell off considerably.
- The rods from the 50s and 60s usually have a serial number on the reel seat hardware. This allows you to date the rod accurately. The two rods I had from the 60s both had the SN on the slide band. The rod I owned from the mid 70s had no SN.
- Other characteristics of the earlier rods include agatine stripping guide and tip tops, quality snake guides, guide wraps with trim rings on both ends, ferrule plugs, and a very cool heavy duty rod bag that zips closed at the top, then snaps shut.
I'm on the road now, so don't have my log book with me, but can provide you with rod weights, ferrule sizes, etc., in a few days if interested.
Lee
Last edited by LeeB on 02/22/17 01:42, edited 2 times in total.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Positive replies from the US may be limited to "those in the know", as most over here are not familiar, nor enthusiastic about UK rods. The Marvels are generally given high marks though by those that have owned or cast them. My tastes run more to the Constables and other UK parabolics, but my one Hardy is a gem.

Ralph

levertonhatches
Master Guide

Post by levertonhatches »

The Marvel is a highly respected rod. The early iteration of the Marvel, beginning in 1925 or so, was offered continuously longer than any other Hardy model (and has been reintroduced), and is said to have been the favorite rod of Dwight Eisenhower. I use the Marvel for dries. In terms of casting action the Marvel is my "do what I ask it to" rod, enabling, in my experience, very accurate casts at very reasonable distances. For me the Marvel loads all the way down the shaft and feels natural in my hand (mileage may differ). It is said to be a medium action (for 4wt) but I don't find it obtrusively slow -- it's just right. Not least, the three-piece format is convenient for travel. It is my most comfortable, highest utility fly rod. You might do a search 'round the Forum -- many posts. Enjoy.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Two Marvels have passed through my hands in the last 10 years. Both were medium action 4-weights, very pleasant to cast and, to a guy admittedly with preconceptions about British cane, they were a revelation, feeling more American than British. That probably says more about my perceptions than it does about UK rods, but the Marvel is one I'd hold onto if I fished a lot.
Last edited by jeffkn1 on 02/22/17 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

I knew i could depend on all you to give me the straight skinny. Nothing like experience . I pulled the trigger, it's on it's way. I can't say ia'm not the least bit excited. I have just the right reel's for it, all lined up. I'll share picture's here reel soon. Thank you all kindly.
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

By far the best taper Hardy ever produced, IMHO

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

Well Boy's, here She is. A 1966. It's everything you said it was. Restored by Hardy. One full lenght tip, one at 7'3'', and what appears to be the original 2nd tip at &7' 2'' with a clear wrap to bottom section. Sure would like to get a replacement tip made up. All and all i'am very happy with it, and yes, it live's up to it's reputation, smooth as silk.The slip ring /cork are so tight i'am unable to use the reels i had in mind, Hardy with ribbed feet, i'll have to go with my even earlier one's with a smooth foot., 3'' for the 4 wt. ,3 3/8'' for the 5 wt.ImageImageImageImageImage Talk about smooooth, dropping flies on the water like snow flake's. Curious who's responsible for naming it, "Marvel" would be my 1st. choice. It's a Keeper.
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

NZ Trout, I have a Marvel with script on the butt section indicating a 4/5. The rod weighs 2.9 oz. It has a very smooth action. I am curious about the line weight designation of your rod. First you wrote that it was a 5/6. But later you said you were fitting it with 2 different reels. One for the 4 weight and one for the 5 weight. I noticed your rod has 3 tips. Is each tip slightly different to create different tapers and thus made to accommodate different line weights??? Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Anyone know the derivation of the word "palakona" on the Hardy rods. Also, do the letter designations on the butt shaft referring to the maker's names??? I have a Hardy Marvel with a T/A mark, and a Phantom with a C/A mark. Thanks in advance. Jed
Fefferfly

beach caster
Guide

Post by beach caster »

Jed,
Palakona was the name Hardy used for the solid built rods. Are you sure the letters on your Marvel are T/A not I/A? First letter indicates month, second letter is for year. So I/A = August 1966, and C/A March 1966.
My Marvel is 7 1/2 ' 3/2 marked on it 4 or 5 wt. On the slide band the manufacture date is indicated by a letter followed by a number just before they switched over to the letter/letter system. H 64936 so this indicates my rod was made in 1965. Seems like the switch happens between 65 and 66.
Dave
“There will be days when the fishing is better than one’s most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.” Roderick Haig-Brown

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

fefferje wrote:NZ Trout, I have a Marvel with script on the butt section indicating a 4/5. The rod weighs 2.9 oz. It has a very smooth action. I am curious about the line weight designation of your rod. First you wrote that it was a 5/6. But later you said you were fitting it with 2 different reels. One for the 4 weight and one for the 5 weight. I noticed your rod has 3 tips. Is each tip slightly different to create different tapers and thus made to accommodate different line weights??? Thanks, Jed
I was told by the person i bought it from ,( pryer to seeing it ) that it was a 5/6. You can imagine how happy i was to find out it's a 4/5 WT. As for the 2 odd tip's, one's the original, shorted, the other i have no idea.
How long have you been fish'n your's, i'am looking forward in getting to know this rod, i think we are going to become close Friend's. It fit's me to a "T".
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

I might have a first year (1925?) Marvel. It's rather slow and feels a bit over loaded by a wf 4 line. It, however, looks nothing like the later year models, no script, so it could also be a Princess. Haven't hit any water with it yet, just lawn cast, but spring is getting close........

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

N.Z. Thanks for clarifying your Marvel's line weight. I have been fishing mine almost 3 years. I love the rod. Your Marvel looks in really pristine condition. Thanks for the photos. Enjoy fishing it.
Also Dave, thank you for setting me straight on the Palakona designation, and on the meaning of the letter marks I/A and C/A. It was very helpful. 1966 was a good year. Best, Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Wineslob, any chance you could post pictures of your 1925 rod?? Jed
Fefferfly

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

fefferje wrote:Wineslob, any chance you could post pictures of your 1925 rod?? Jed
I'd love to see it as well! Pretty Please.
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

N.Z.TROUT wrote:
fefferje wrote:Wineslob, any chance you could post pictures of your 1925 rod?? Jed
I'd love to see it as well! Pretty Please.

Posted about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=102561
I may try to get better pics. It is a pretty little rod.

Here are some from today:

Other than the wraps I re-did on the butt section, I belive the rest are original to the rod. The one tip wrap is interesting.

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

No doubt that rod has landed a few fish, that's the earliest Marvel i've yet to see. Great job keeping it in the game! Good on ya!!!
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

offshore31
Guide

Post by offshore31 »

NZ, very nice Marvel. Does that mean you're kicking that 204l loose :) Remember, I'm first in line if you do

best
Joe

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

offshore31 wrote:NZ, very nice Marvel. Does that mean you're kicking that 204l loose :) Remember, I'm first in line if you do

best
Joe
I'll keep you in mind. One never know's doe's one?
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”